PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hike shoe suggestions

2009ThruHiker
10-08-2008, 14:41
I'm posting this here in hopes to get a feel from both men and women thru-hikers which LOW CUT hiking shoes they've used with satisfaction. My wife and I head to REI in a few hours to shoe shop...we plan on only using low-cut shoes....NO mids NO boots, so need for suggestions on those. I'm well aware different shoes fit different people differently, but hopefully I'll get a bit of feedback of a few to at least try out while I'm there. So again,
LO-CUT shoe suggestions for both men and women thru hikers please. :-?

Serial 07
10-08-2008, 14:54
Hard Rocks by montrail...i used some lafuma's that i really liked...but everyone who rocks the Hard Rocks talks them up big time...

Colter
10-08-2008, 16:27
On the CDT this summer I used three different pair of Adidas Supernovas, which worked well for me.

I had a pair of Hardrocks which were unusuable. The heel was too narrow.

My Chaco Redrocks were also very good shoes.

My Salomons were comfortable but didn't hold up well. I don't have the shoe model handy.

As you mentioned, the best shoes for you are ones that will fit YOU best in the long run.

Dogwood
10-08-2008, 19:51
I know this is probably not what U R going to want to hear, but U R going to get the kitchen sink by asking this question. All kinds of shoes will be recommended to U but no two hiker's feet and hiking style is exactly alike. What may be right for one hiker may not be right for another hiker. This is no more truer than with hiking shoes. Hiking shoes R such an individual piece of gear that is specific to each individual's hiking style, foot type, trail hiked, wt. carried , etc. etc. etc. I spend more time dialing in my shoes than any other single piece of hiking gear. After all, it doesn't really matter what type of shelter, sleeping bag, pack, stove, etc. U find if your feet aren't happy because if your dogs R not comfortable U R not going to be hiking very long or at all. I strongly suggest U learn about what kind of feet U have(high arch, wide forefoot, supinator, pronator, flat feet, etc.) and which brands tend to make those kinds of of shoes that will best support U. Go to some of the running shoe sites and U will learn a lot about what brands and models R meant to be used by specific foot and/or running styles. Some gear/running stores will allow U to return shoes. And, maybe most of all go, to a reputable hiking store with qualified shoe sales people that can steer U in the right direction.

Blissful
10-08-2008, 19:58
I'd also check out a good running shop. Some of the trial runners there are equally as good (I used the Brooks Adrenaline ASrs)

Levlle
10-09-2008, 15:14
I recenlty purchased a pair of Merrell's for my trip through the Maine 100-Mile Wilderness. I was a little worried because I had always used waterproof hikers before. But I rarely could find a comfortable fit with the hikers. I had gone through at least 10 pairs before deciding to go with Trail Runners.

I'll never look back. I have been extremely happy with my Merrells. While they don't offer water protection, they are much lighter weight, dry quickly and overall I just feel much 'lighter' on my feet.

Here is a link to the ones that I bought, hope this helps...

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/4479/Merrell-Chameleon-Hex-Sport-Mens.html

Peanut
10-09-2008, 19:39
Montrail Hardrocks!!! I used them for 800 miles each (life expectancy 500ish miles) and everyone I met that had them had nothing but good things to say. :)

2009ThruHiker
10-09-2008, 19:54
i got some salomon 3d ultras and i'm still testing them out but they seem to fit like a glove. thanks to all who responded.

Blissful
10-09-2008, 19:56
Long as they aren't too tight as your feet do swell. And hope you got one size bigger.

Chaco Taco
10-09-2008, 21:32
Hard Rocks by montrail...i used some lafuma's that i really liked...but everyone who rocks the Hard Rocks talks them up big time...
Just so you know that Montrail has discontinued the Hardrocks. I agree they are a great shoe, just know that if you have a problem with them, they wont get replaced by Montrail.

Chaco Taco
10-09-2008, 21:33
Keen Voyagers

splash1986
10-09-2008, 21:53
You might want to try the Northface Hedgehog, comfortable, stable, and durable as hell.

papa john
10-10-2008, 08:11
Just so you know that Montrail has discontinued the Hardrocks. I agree they are a great shoe, just know that if you have a problem with them, they wont get replaced by Montrail.

I found some at STP, and based on the color of the soles thought they might be the original Montrails, but then found out they weren't. Good price too, $60.

aaroniguana
10-10-2008, 08:21
Merrell Moab Ventilators. Light, durable, fast drying and they are available in low and mid. I have a pair of each. I wear the lows daily, not just for hiking. They've been subjected to saltwater when I sail, mud, rock and road abuse when I hike, are very comfy and have held up very well for 15 months. And if you catch the sales right you can get them for around $60.

Filadelfia Greenberg
10-10-2008, 14:43
I tried my first pair of trail-runners (La Sportiva) in the whites and they carried be up to Katahdin this year (before that I wore Asolo and Vasque Mids). I found them to be exceedingly comfortable but not particularly durable. I warranteed them after K and I'll be taking my new pair down to springer now. I've also heard good things about Merril from Vagabond, who was sponsored by them. Quick side note: It seems that you're married to the idea of trail runners, which is fine, they're great, but if I were you I'd consider when the second pair wears out (probably around Harper's ferry if you're a Nobo) swapping them out for a mid, or a boot. You won't have too many extreme hills to climb until the whites, and the extra sole and ankle support might be a major benefit to you going through the rocks of PA and early NJ. NY might be a bit of a chore, but it'll be rough either way, and you'll find a higher cut to be a little more convienient in Vermud. Then you can switch back to trail-runners in Hanover. anyway, just a suggestion.

smaaax
10-10-2008, 14:57
i got some salomon 3d ultras and i'm still testing them out but they seem to fit like a glove. thanks to all who responded.

Thats what I was going to suggest, they last about 800 miles.

Midway Sam
10-10-2008, 15:19
New Balance 840.