PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 shoe size bigger

2009ThruHiker
10-08-2008, 14:47
I want to use the same types of shoes for my wife and myself during our thru hike all the way through (provided we make it:sun) ....once we find the shoe that we like the best. If we use a trail runner type shoe we will likely order 3 pairs of them a piece due to wear. It's possible the store will be out of stock when I need them months into our hike, so i will most likely buy them all b4 we leave.

How definite is the 1/2 shoe size bigger idea where your foot grows 1/2 size bigger during the hike? Is it more prevalent with men than women? All thoughts, suggestions, and data on this topic would be greatly appreciated. 122 work days until departure 09 :banana

take-a-knee
10-08-2008, 15:38
SFAS is a 21-day course at Camp McKall NC attended by all who wish to attend US Army Special Forces training. You walk countless miles carrying a rucksack. Many guys finish with the toes of their boots cut open because their feet have swollen so much. I think lack of sleep contributes to this inflammation, so hopefully you won't abuse youself to this degree, but I'd bet your metatarsal bones will spread to a degree.

You may not need longer ( larger size) but you are likely wearing shoes that are too narrow. New Balance sells trail runners in wider sizes. Asolo sells hiking boots in a wide size. You can play with thick/thin insoles to increase/decrease volume inside the shoe.

Colter
10-08-2008, 16:35
On the AT my feet went from about 9 1/3 or 10 to 10 1/2 or 11. They are now about 10 1/2 and stayed the same size during many shoe swaps on the CDT this summer (http://www.bucktrack.com/Continental_Divide_Trail.html).

It's a wise idea to get shoes about 1/2 size too big to start out with. But personally I'd go slow on ordering shoes for the whole summer as your feet may "grow," or you may decide to try a different kind of shoe.

If you like the model you are using, you should be able to find them online while on the trail and have them shipped to an upcoming town stop. Otherwise you should be able to find an acceptable shoe at an outfitter along the way.

Have fun!

2009ThruHiker
10-08-2008, 16:41
thanks for the advice and info to both of you !!!

Just Plain Jim
10-08-2008, 17:07
I want to get my 2 cents in. I was amazed how my feet grew the first time that I did a section hike:-?. I used to wear an 11 size [at home], now I take a size 12. I have to wear a 13 or risk the dreaded BLACK TOE after I get back home.:eek:

Jim Adams
10-08-2008, 17:46
First off, you and your wife have different feet...your favorite brand may not work for her at all and vice versa.
I'm not sure what to recommend as far as buying the shoes ahead of time. I think I would follow Colters advice and order as you go a week or 2 before you actually need them and have them sent ahead.
I stated with a size 9 on my 1990 thru and finished with 10 1/2.
I started with a 10 1/2 on my 2002 thru and finished with 11.
Hiked off and and on for 5 years and started the PCT with 11 1/2. After 1000 miles of PCT I was then and still am at an 11 1/2.
I am only 5'6" tall, I hope they wont keep expanding like this. If they do it won't be long before the ford or canoe debate is no longer an issue for me....I'll simply run across! LOL

geek

The Solemates
10-08-2008, 18:01
I want to use the same types of shoes for my wife and myself during our thru hike all the way through (provided we make it:sun) ....once we find the shoe that we like the best. If we use a trail runner type shoe we will likely order 3 pairs of them a piece due to wear. It's possible the store will be out of stock when I need them months into our hike, so i will most likely buy them all b4 we leave.

How definite is the 1/2 shoe size bigger idea where your foot grows 1/2 size bigger during the hike? Is it more prevalent with men than women? All thoughts, suggestions, and data on this topic would be greatly appreciated. 122 work days until departure 09 :banana

my feet didnt grow any on our thru. neither did my wife's. but we were also on our feet more than most people before our thru as well, which I believe has something to do with it.

Footslogger
10-08-2008, 18:12
I was able to get through the entire hike with the same sized shoe and I am convinced that, at least for me, it was the footbeds I used. I have a pretty good background in foot biomechanics and I believe elongation of the foot can and does occur in the "average" foot if the longitudinal arch is allowed to fall under the repetitive stress of backpacking ...especially over a 6 month period with little time to recover.

If your arch is properly supported and you can keep the heel planted firmly in the heel cup of your footwear you are much less likely to experience elongation.

'Slogger

smaaax
10-09-2008, 22:22
My shoe size didn't change. Its different for everyone, play as much as you can by ear.

take-a-knee
10-09-2008, 22:51
I was able to get through the entire hike with the same sized shoe and I am convinced that, at least for me, it was the footbeds I used. I have a pretty good background in foot biomechanics and I believe elongation of the foot can and does occur in the "average" foot if the longitudinal arch is allowed to fall under the repetitive stress of backpacking ...especially over a 6 month period with little time to recover.

If your arch is properly supported and you can keep the heel planted firmly in the heel cup of your footwear you are much less likely to experience elongation.

'Slogger

That makes sense, the plantar fascia is like a bowstring, the bones are the bow. If the string elongates, the bow will increase in width.

Datto
10-11-2008, 18:09
During my AT thru-hike as well as during the backpacking I'd done in preparing for my AT thru-hike, my feet went from Size 10.5 to Size 13 4E. My feet never came back to the smaller size and today I still wear 13 4E New Balance shoes.

Note that you may experience considerable rain on the AT (I am laughing out loud) so you'll want to be prepared for blisters once your feet soften up from the rain and mud and the normal abrasion/beating from hiking with a backpack starts happening. Me wearing shoes that had room for my feet to swell helped keep the blisters down versus having smaller sized boots that would have been too tight once my feet began to spread.

One of the best things you can do to decrease blisters (besides having room for your feet to grow) is to reduce your pack weight. That'll help with reducing knee pain too.

Datto

Mrs Baggins
10-11-2008, 19:04

I was 46 when I really started hiking and bought my first pair of Hi Tec boots and they were size 5 1/2 - what I'd worn since I was a teen. My 2nd pair was size 6. My 3rd pair is size 6 1/2. So yeah I'd say you're feet are gonna "grow."

fiddlehead
10-12-2008, 05:33
My feet grew from lots of hiking. Plus when you put a pack on your back, they spread out a bit. So you might want to get them a little wider.

I think too that it's a mistake to order 3 pairs before you start. There's a good chance they won't fit when you are ready for them. Or, at the least, buy the replacements in at least a half size bigger. (and buy your starters a half size bigger than what you already wear)
That's what i would do.
After a few thru's, your feet tend to stop growing. (but i still like some room in my shoe)
I started out as a 9 1/2. Now, i wear 12 1/2's or 13s when i hike although i will say that i haven't done a thru now for 4 years and my feet can now fit into a 10 1/2 again. But i would still go for a 12 or more if thru-hiking. my 2 cents.

hopefulhiker
10-12-2008, 09:21
I sized up from a 9.5 to a 10 after the first few hundred miles.

Blissful
10-12-2008, 16:40
I usually take a 9 1/2 to a 10. I wear an 11 for my trail and running shoes. You can start with a shorter size then order a bigger size during your hike ifo you need to.

Sprocket - Matt
10-13-2008, 12:13
I don't wanna heist your thread, but I'd also be interested to know if there are brands and models of hiking shoe/mid-cut boots that take into account arch support issues...
I've worn 3/4 arch supports since I was in 5th grade... I went to a "proper" running shop and they fitted me with a pair of running shoes based on my arches, and angle at which my ankle rolled to the outside. (pronated?) I haven't needed my arch supports for the past 3 months...

Which boot manufacturers build shoes with these specifics in mind?
And which of these supply some sort of info on their websites?
Going to Dick's sporting goods doesn't really cut it for my needs.
Thanks

Oldgame
05-21-2009, 09:13
Don't get boots. Get Trail Runners instead. They are lighter and keep your feet cooler. You may think you need boots for weak ankles, but Trail Runners are okay if you use hiking poles. They are cheaper, but wear out faster than boots (500 miles max). Ankle gaiters will keep out the trail duff.

Instead of a half size, get a full size bigger. Fabric shoes (and boots) are not as stiff as leather and allow more foot movement. Going downhill, the extra room will keep your toes from getting crammed together (causing blisters and toe nail loss).

Wear two pairs of socks: a thin wicking sock and a light weight wool sock. Carry a second set (three sets are even better). Change and wash dirty socks often. Use safety pins to hang them on your pack to dry while you walk.

Grinder
05-21-2009, 11:01
I too began hiking three seasons ago as a life long size 9 1/2. This included 10 years of running, up to 2500 miles a year for several years in a row.

My first pair of boots were 9 1/2 (LL Bean high top). They started out snug and wound up tight.

I switched to Trail Runners (Montrail) and bumped the size to 10. They were too narrow from the get go and marginal on length. On the edge of uncomfortable.

My new trail runners (Saucony) are 10 1/2 and feel about right.

I do think hiking causes your feet to get bigger. Either that or Asia has made shoes smaller to reduce material costs.

Mother's Finest
05-21-2009, 11:50
I can't say it enough

proper arch suppor proper arch suppor proper arch support

peace
mf

Datto
06-18-2009, 00:03
Prior to starting the training for my Year 2000 AT thru-hike I wore a 10.5 street shoe. The shoes I wore on my AT thru-hike were size 13 4W (eventually came to that size after several hikes prior to starting my thru-hike).

I still wear size 13 4W hiking shoe today using the New Balance 8xx model wearing thin liner socks only. My feet never unshrunk afterward. Street shoe size today is 12.5.

Datto

jrwiesz
06-18-2009, 06:12
Go barefoot, it won't matter on shoe size.

Just sayin'.

waywardfool
06-18-2009, 08:31
Not all shoes/boots of a specific model/size are the same, and sizes vary between manufacturers and models. I've always worn a 13, but am now needing a 14 in some shoes. I recently got some New Balances. 13 was way too short, got a 14 and they weren't that much bigger, got another pair of 14's ordered in, and they were right. I think th emanufacturing (and maybe labeling/boxing) tolerances have been slacked, and there is more variation.

Moral of this story is...even if you buy several pairs, be sure and try them all out to be sure they fit, even though they are the "same" size.

mindi
06-28-2009, 20:18
I bought my shoes one size bigger in '07. I hiked less than 1000 miles and my feet definitely grew. When I got home none of my kid-sized Converse sneakers fit anymore.