PDA

View Full Version : "Official" 2,000 miler

Kirby
10-08-2008, 15:27
Just thought I would let everyone know that I received my certificate and patch today for the completion of my AT thru hike. I did not send out for it until early September.

I'm a very happy person right now.

Kirby

Serial 07
10-08-2008, 15:28
Congrats kirby...

Chaco Taco
10-08-2008, 15:45
Way to go buddy. I sent mine out today. Cant wait to get mine either.

Lyle
10-08-2008, 16:24
Congratulations Kirby.

HikerRanky
10-08-2008, 16:34
Congrats Kirby!

Cookerhiker
10-08-2008, 16:39
Congratulations!

Have you changed your mind about Vermont yet? Ready to do the Long Trail?

Jack Tarlin
10-08-2008, 18:17
Nice work, Kirby. Come see us at Trashgiving, unless, of course, you think we're beneath you..... :D

dessertrat
10-08-2008, 18:19
Just thought I would let everyone know that I received my certificate and patch today for the completion of my AT thru hike. I did not send out for it until early September.

Kirby

Congratulations, but don't forget that you became a thruhiker when you finished, no matter whose paper says what.

Midway Sam
10-08-2008, 18:26
Contrats Kirby. I remember when...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26900

Hooch
10-08-2008, 18:28
Contrats Kirby. I remember when...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26900Meeeeemorieeeesssssss....... .....

weary
10-08-2008, 18:35
I hope you answered the ATC questions honestly. Some don't. But it is my observation that if you answer honestly, you will get a certificate, regardless of the details.

This is addressed mostly to future "thru hikers." As for you, Kirby, you walked from Georgia to Maine. A great accomplishment, regardless of the details. Congratulations !!!!!!

Weary

TwistedToad
10-08-2008, 19:19
grats!!

Lone Wolf
10-08-2008, 19:57
guess i'll apply for mine even though i blue-blazed. there is no official patch and certificate by the way

Blissful
10-08-2008, 20:02
Look for your name in the ATC magazine in winter too along with your buddies. It was fun to see the names of those we met along the way.

bigboots
10-08-2008, 21:16
Great job Kirby! I can't wait to hit the trail in March after reading all the awsome posts from you and your class!

Jack Tarlin
10-08-2008, 21:22
No "official" patch or certificate, Wolf? :D

Cool.

Now let's see you admit that there's no "official" speed record, either.

Lone Wolf
10-08-2008, 21:24
there is no "official" speed record either but all the speed record holders do ALL the white blazes

Smile
10-08-2008, 21:24
Way to go! I enjoyed reading about your adventure, have a great winter!

Lone Wolf
10-08-2008, 21:26
No "official" patch or certificate, Wolf? :D

Cool.

Now let's see you admit that there's no "official" speed record, either.

the ATC hands out patches and certificates like halloween candy. ain't too tough to get either

T-Dubs
10-08-2008, 21:28
congratulations on your accomplishment

TWS

Jack Tarlin
10-08-2008, 21:28
"all the speed record holders do ALL the white blazes".

And Wolf, you know this to be absolutely true.........HOW? Were you there on every mile of all these attempts? :rolleyes

No. of course you weren't.

If a "record" attempter wants to fudge things a bit mileage wise, he's just as capable of doing this as anyone else.

Lone Wolf
10-08-2008, 21:30
how do we know you hiked all white blazes on your hike? you could be the biggest scam going. the ATC needs to do away with their cutesy certificates

Foyt20
10-08-2008, 21:31
Congrats Kirby!!!

max patch
10-08-2008, 22:14
all the speed record holders do ALL the white blazes

And, by definition, so do 2,000 milers.

weary
10-08-2008, 22:21
the ATC hands out patches and certificates like halloween candy. ain't too tough to get either
Of course. ATC -- and the trail -- lives and dies depending on contributions and memberships. It collects names and addresses assiduously.

Weary

hopefulhiker
10-08-2008, 22:27
Kudos to Kirby! I know the patch means something to you...

ed bell
10-08-2008, 22:27

KirbyKirby,
First, congratulations on your adventure this past year. You accomplished something I wish I would have taken the time to undertake in my younger days, in retrospect. I am curious, however, about your motive to post about receiving a patch and piece of paper in the mail. Most here know about your hike this past year due to the thread that followed your progress. Well, that aside, my best to you in your future endeavors.

Blissful
10-08-2008, 22:28
It was nice to get as a momento and to frame, but in all honestly, no one else cares that you have it except you. Like any other award that will gather dust over the course of time. But it's still a visual reminder of what you did do and can do when the going gets tough. And for me it's also a spiritual reminder as well.

mudcap
10-08-2008, 23:47
I bet your tooth looks like candy corn...:D

Sly
10-09-2008, 00:09
Kludos Kirby!

I can honestly say I did all the blazes from GA to ME!

jersey joe
10-09-2008, 14:06
Congrats Kirby.
I've found that awards/certificates/patches are usually pretty cool when you get them but lose meaning over time.

LIhikers
10-09-2008, 14:48
Kirby
Didn't you have some requirments for your school too?
How did that go over, did they accept it OK?
and congrats on your hike, hope you had a great time.

Kirby
10-09-2008, 21:01
Kirby
Didn't you have some requirments for your school too?
How did that go over, did they accept it OK?
and congrats on your hike, hope you had a great time.

I have a school presentation at the end of the month and a presentation for the AMC Maine chapter in early January.

I posted this because I was giddy with joy and needed to tell someone, so I thought WB was a good place.

Kirby

Chaco Taco
10-09-2008, 21:25
Kirby,
I am curious, however, about your motive to post about receiving a patch and piece of paper in the mail. Most here know about your hike this past year due to the thread that followed your progress.
Be nice, he is just sharing his joy.

Chaco Taco
10-09-2008, 21:27
Do I need permission and statement of motive from you Ed bell to post my joy also when i receive my patch and certificate?

max patch
10-09-2008, 21:33
Do I need permission and statement of motive from you Ed bell to post my joy also when i receive my patch and certificate?

You have been lucky enough to spend most of this year on the trail; so you haven't read everything written on this site.

There is a valid reason why Ed made the comment that he did.

Chaco Taco
10-09-2008, 21:35
Unfortunately, the humor meant to come across should have been followed by a smiley. Sorry, Ed Bell, was just pokin fun. Didnt mean to offend.

dessertrat
10-09-2008, 21:36
how do we know you hiked all white blazes on your hike? you could be the biggest scam going. the ATC needs to do away with their cutesy certificates

I agree. No disrespect to thru-hikers, but if you thru-hiked, or "close enough", you know it, and don't need someone else to stamp it for you.

Chaco Taco
10-09-2008, 21:41
I agree. No disrespect to thru-hikers, but if you thru-hiked, or "close enough", you know it, and don't need someone else to stamp it for you.
I agree with you, but there are some of us that collect things. My thing was patches and pins. I collected a pretty good amount of cool stuff. Its just one more thing to add to the collection. I dont feel like i need it for validation, I just want the patch, could care less about the certificate.

A-Train
10-09-2008, 21:44

Agreed. But one knows whether they've satisfied the requirements to graduate high school or college too. Doesn't stop them from receiving a diploma, and most people are proud of these accomplishments. Proud enough that they hang them on their walls in their home or office.

I see nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishment and having a momento to remind you of the hard work you put in.

Congrats again to Kirby, Chaco and the rest of the class of 2008.

HikerRanky
10-09-2008, 21:51
Folks,

This is a thread where someone simply stated that they were recognized by someone for something they did...

Didn't anyone else want to shout from the top of the mountain top when they were recognized for something they did?

Feel free to agree or disagree with the policies of the ATC and the 2,000 miler requirements in another thread....

ChinMusic
10-09-2008, 21:59
If looking at a patch or certificate triggers wonderful memories.......it has GREAT value.

Congrats Kirby

Lone Wolf
10-09-2008, 23:05
I agree with you, but there are some of us that collect things. My thing was patches and pins. I collected a pretty good amount of cool stuff. Its just one more thing to add to the collection. I dont feel like i need it for validation, I just want the patch, could care less about the certificate.

did you hike all the white blazes this year as they were laid out? if not, no certy or patch for you