PDA

View Full Version : All around Gloves

Glee
03-21-2004, 13:37
I'm looking at all the different gloves out there and would like to get as much feedback on what works for most people. I currently use a 99-cent pair of white garden gloves. They're durable, dry out fairly fast in the sun and protect my hands from the thorns that plague every bush in my location and when I fall. Once I start walking I start sweating and if there is a good wind blowing then they can get pretty cold. So, looking at all of the gloves on the market just makes it harder. It would seem that something light, durable, breathable, wind resistant/proof, water resistant and keeps the hands cool in the heat and warm in the cold. Does anyone have anything that they think fits the bill?

Blue Jay
03-22-2004, 14:49
I'm looking at all the different gloves out there and would like to get as much feedback on what works for most people. I currently use a 99-cent pair of white garden gloves. They're durable, dry out fairly fast in the sun and protect my hands from the thorns that plague every bush in my location and when I fall. Once I start walking I start sweating and if there is a good wind blowing then they can get pretty cold. So, looking at all of the gloves on the market just makes it harder. It would seem that something light, durable, breathable, wind resistant/proof, water resistant and keeps the hands cool in the heat and warm in the cold. Does anyone have anything that they think fits the bill?

Goretex gloves with primaloft insulation (synthetic down).

Peaks
03-22-2004, 18:09
My choice of gloves all depends on how cold it is out. For winter use, I try to get the warmest gloves possible. Usually the Pearl Izumi brand. For warmer weather, I take along a fleece or poly pro type glove. If I'm doing trail work, then it's a leather work glove.

CanoeBlue
03-22-2004, 22:53
I've used a variety of gloves for paddling and around camp and for all around goves I settled on some Stanley Goatskin gardening gloves from Home Depot -They used to carry some that were all goatskin, but now the only ones that they carry have fabric back.

Mine prevent blilsters, allow me to pick up hot coffee pots etc. from the fire, keep my hands warm when I need the warmth and flex well so they are comfortable. They are not as warm as fleece gloves, but they are really durable and they can stand getting wet - and they are cheap. I've tried a lot of more expensive alternatives but I like these the best.

cryptobrian
03-23-2004, 09:23
i've been using a pair of OR windstopper gloves and have been quite pleased with them. surpsringly good protection (cold/wind) from a thin and light glove. it is not a "winter" glove, mind you perfect for those cooler blustery days when you want your hands protected.

flyfisher
03-23-2004, 09:23
I am trying out Danalco's Sealskinz Chillblocker gloves. They are breathable, water proof, insulated, and comfortable. I am really excited about using thise gloves in cold rain with hiking sticks. They will also be perfect for kayaking or canoeing in cold water. They are not cheap. BGT is just starting a series of tests on the gloves. We should know much more as time continues. The gloves are described here:

http://www.danalco.com/

The BacpackGearTest folder with the four initial reports on the gloves is here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Gloves/SealSkinz%20Chillblocker%20Gloves/