PDA

View Full Version : Starting in May too late?

Storminorman18
10-09-2008, 10:54
Early next may, I will be graduating college and I have dreamed of thru-hiking for several years now. Kinda figured what better time to do it! :) The only concern that I have is the weather. I've hiked GA section of the AT in May before and I can handle the heat. My worry is with Maine. Was doing some reading and Baxter State Park closes on Oct. 15 due to weather hazards. I have the equipment for a cold hike, but just wanted to get some opinions of whether early or mid May is too late to make it to Katahdin. Thanks :)

Marta
10-09-2008, 11:02
It completely depends. A four-month hike is not impossible, but it is difficult for most hikers. You have to be fit and highly motivated. Young men in your age range are probably the most likely to make that kind of schedule. I don't know you at all--are you a soccer player/distance runner/UF player? If so, you may even prefer that sort of hiking plan. If you're less fit and more overweight, you might want to come up with another plan, such as a SOBO hike starting in June or July, or a flipflop hike.

ChinMusic
10-09-2008, 11:03
From what I've read, May is fine for a start. Plan A would be to finish at K. Your age will likely benefit you in this regard.

But.

If you find yourself being crunched for time to finish before mid Oct, you can skip ahead, get to K before weather ends the season, and finish the skipped section thereafter.

Marta
10-09-2008, 11:05
To expand on that thought...

You don't actually have to decide up front. You can see how far you've gotten and then, if the situation warrants, you can flip up north.

As people are finding this year, you may not want to cut the October 15th "deadline" for Katahdin too close.

Storminorman18
10-09-2008, 11:09
It completely depends. A four-month hike is not impossible, but it is difficult for most hikers. You have to be fit and highly motivated. Young men in your age range are probably the most likely to make that kind of schedule. I don't know you at all--are you a soccer player/distance runner/UF player? If so, you may even prefer that sort of hiking plan. If you're less fit and more overweight, you might want to come up with another plan, such as a SOBO hike starting in June or July, or a flipflop hike.

You actually just nailed me! I played college soccer for 3 years, and still in good shape, not like i used to be, but still can hold my own ;) thanks for the advice! Defenitly will keep it in mind.

The Solemates
10-09-2008, 11:20

you dont need to do a 4-month hike. starting in may, you can still do a 5-month hike ending in early october. plenty of time. if i were to hike the trail again, i'd either leave before feb 1 or after may 1.

Storminorman18
10-09-2008, 11:22
you dont need to do a 4-month hike. starting in may, you can still do a 5-month hike ending in early october. plenty of time. if i were to hike the trail again, i'd either leave before feb 1 or after may 1.

Is there a particular reason that you would be starting before feb 1 or may 1? I persume its from the crowds, but just wondering if it was something else.

Marta
10-09-2008, 11:25
if i were to hike the trail again, i'd either leave before feb 1 or after may 1.

Me, too...although I might go SOBO again.:eek:

I was figuring he'd graduate around the 10th-15th of May, and not leave until the latter part of May., which gives him June, July, Aug., Sept., and maybe one week of May and a couple of weeks of October.

Someone with a soccer-player level of fitness should be able to accomplish that readily.

ChinMusic
10-09-2008, 11:28
Someone with a soccer-player level of fitness should be able to accomplish that readily.
Especially college-level soccer......VERY demanding.

thrash
10-09-2008, 12:46
To expand on that thought...

You don't actually have to decide up front. You can see how far you've gotten and then, if the situation warrants, you can flip up north.

I hiked after graduating from college and my sister was getting married later in May so I did not start my hike until June 1 and finished Oct 11 straight through. I hiked part of the way with two other guys from my college class. They ended up flipping from Harper's Ferry as they took a couple weeks off in the middle for family obligations and one of them was from northern Virginia so that hike made sense for them. They did not have to cover as much ground each day and then ended up close to their home so it made a logical finish for them. They finished early November if I recall correctly.

So start in mid may and see how it goes. One advantage fo the flip is that you get to meet all those people you read about in the registers.

The Solemates
10-09-2008, 12:48
Is there a particular reason that you would be starting before feb 1 or may 1? I persume its from the crowds, but just wondering if it was something else.

nope, missing the crowds. we started feb 1 on our thru and saw no one virtually the first 1.5 months except for the occasional weekender.

The Solemates
10-09-2008, 12:49
Me, too...although I might go SOBO again.:eek:

I was figuring he'd graduate around the 10th-15th of May, and not leave until the latter part of May., which gives him June, July, Aug., Sept., and maybe one week of May and a couple of weeks of October.

ok, so 4.5 months. that's doable.

just dont kill yourself to do it norman. enjoy the trail...start off slow

mts4602
10-09-2008, 12:49
You'll be fine. Maybe I'll see ya there.:)

dessertrat
10-09-2008, 13:05
If you have a good tolerance for heat, you'll be fine. The days will be longer starting May 1, so hiking 10 or 12 hours a day if you need to will be no problem, once you're in shape for it. You'll also be able to carry a lighter load than someone starting in March or April. (Lighter bag, less clothing). You will need more water though, probably.

max patch
10-09-2008, 13:15
I started 5/1 and finished the first week in October. And I certainly wasn't in college age soccer player shape!

Christopher Robin
10-09-2008, 16:07
I also starting in May to get to Damascass for Trail day, I'm flip floping. So would I need Spring or Summer clothes?

Christopher Robin
10-09-2008, 16:14
I'm starting my flip flop in May also. I would like to know what is the weather like for planing what I need for clothing please ?

Montana AT05
10-09-2008, 18:40
You can do it.

And as other stated, if needed, you can flip up and hike down.

Sure, Khatadin is a spectacular finish spot--but it's spectacular in and of itself up there.

If I was to ever do a flip, I would flip at, and return to, Harpers Ferry.

That way, you can see the AT center there on your way up--reading the entries and seeing the photos of hikers who were ahead of you, and then upon your return, you can see even more photos and entires of those who were behind you, and that you met on your way back down!

Flipping on the AT is much easier than on America's other trail.

max patch
10-09-2008, 18:50
I also starting in May to get to Damascass for Trail day, I'm flip floping. So would I need Spring or Summer clothes?

Mothers Day is May 10; Trail Days is the next weekend.

Thats a pretty aggressive pace, to say the least.

Blissful
10-09-2008, 19:41
Flip flopping (at Harpers Ferry) is a good way to go so you can at least enjoy the trail without having to stress over time factors or stress your body by doing too much which also leads to more injuries. And Harpers Ferry is a fine place to end. Great, historic town.

Blissful
10-09-2008, 19:47

You'll need more time than that from Harpers Ferry or Springer to get to Damascus (not sure where you are starting from?). You only have three weeks if you start May 1.

Deadeye
10-09-2008, 23:00
wait... yes, there it is... I'm channeling Lone Wolf... he says... senior...no that's not it... ignore everyone and just go!

DapperD
10-10-2008, 21:24
If you have a good tolerance for heat, you'll be fine. The days will be longer starting May 1, so hiking 10 or 12 hours a day if you need to will be no problem, once you're in shape for it. You'll also be able to carry a lighter load than someone starting in March or April. (Lighter bag, less clothing). You will need more water though, probably.The guys in the enjoyable AT movie TREK started May 1st I believe, and 3 out of the 4 made successful completions, but it appeared they all suffered from the heat big time!

PeterB
10-12-2008, 10:09
Go to trailjournals.com and look for people that started around May 1 and finished around late Sept/early Oct. By reading their journals, you will get an idea of the mileage, how bad the heat was, etc.

Here is an example:

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=227234