PDA

View Full Version : Water: Allen Gap to Davenport Gap

jodyq43
10-09-2008, 12:52
I'm leaving out tomorrow morning to hike this section of the trail. I'm hiking SOBO. Any reports of water conditions would be appreciated.

Also I've heard about some bear activity in these area's of late I'm going to be trying the PCT method of bear bagging. I really dont want to meet Jumper the tree climbing bear up close.

This will be my third time out on the trail, and I'm looking forward to this more challenging hike. I plan to tent out each night. Any recomendations on some campsites with a view on this leg of the AT? I'm thinking of camping on Max Patch if the sky is clear. Stars are the most amazing thing once you are out of the city.

This is my first post, but I'm definitely going to be on here much more now that I have found the place. So much information on hand.

Jody Moffett

sheepdog
10-09-2008, 13:07
I just hiked Hot springs to Erwin. It rained all day on Sept 26th. and half the day Sept 27th. Jerry Cabin was the only shelter without water, but it was checked at noon the day it rained and it could have filled up since then. Uncle Johnies is the best place to check for trail conditions in the area. He sees a lot of hikers. Did not see any bears on that section.

Tennessee Viking
10-09-2008, 14:40
Rich Mountain was pretty dry when I hiked around there. A couple of sectioners mentioned there was no water north of Hot Springs to Allen Gap.

But recent rains might have helped a little.