PDA

View Full Version : My Packing List

DylanD
10-09-2008, 12:58
Ok, Here's my list so far of things that I'm going to bring on my Thru-Hike.
I know there's no stove, I've decided to go without one. And I want to do my Thru with 2 or 3 mail drops max.

So, anything that you would add or take away? Thanks for the help :)

Clothing-Warm Weather
Hat
T-Shirt x2
Running Shorts x2
Under Armor Boxers x3
Light Weight socks x2
Hiking Boots/Trail Runners

Clothing-Cold Weather/ Rain Gear
Ear Cover Hat
Long Sleeve Shirt
Fleece Jacket
Running Pants
Heavy socks
Rain Jacket
Rain Pants
Gloves

Shelter/ Backpack/ Misc. Items
Pack
Pack Towel
Tent
Sleeping Pad
Sleeping Bag
Trekking Poles
Camera
Pack Cover
Water Bottles x2
Water Filter
Stuff Sacks
Line for hanging food
Guide Books
Compass
Headlamp
Journal
Watch
Toothbrush/ Toothpaste
Duct Tape
Safety Pins
Sewing kit
Knife
Moleskin
Bandaids
Whistle
Advil
Pepto
Extra Battries

KG4FAM
10-09-2008, 13:02
Need you to be a bit more specific. What kind of sleeping pad? 1/8th inch CCF or king size 2 foot high inflatable mattress? How many extra batteries? Ect, ect, ect?

Pokey2006
10-09-2008, 13:28
Lose the rain pants.

Blissful
10-09-2008, 13:49
No stove? It's gonna get tough out there esp when the temp drops to the teens with sleet and you could sure use a nice hot drink or hot food. And it could be a life saver in certain situations. Hypothermia happens out there. And mail drops don't equate whether one brings a stove or not. You can do minimal drops and still carry one, at least an alcohol one just in case for the beginning and then from NH on. If you want to go without one in the summer months, that's fine.

Skip - sewing kit (you are carrying a safety pin and duct tape), moleskin (you have duct tape), guide books (companion or AT Pages) - though I would seriously consider maps.

Think you could use an insulating jacket at the start and for the Whites. Fleece only is not warm enough. My son hated his rain pants and rain jacket (he eventually carried a go lite umbrella), but I used my pants for the start and the Whites. One pair of shorts and one shirt for the start are needed or go with convertible pants. Crocs are nice for camp.

Christopher Robin
10-09-2008, 15:26
Some small stove has said above, you do need a warm jacket in the begin for when you get to camp. I also used Chocs the cheap one great for water crossings & in camp, very light.

DylanD
10-09-2008, 15:57
Need you to be a bit more specific. What kind of sleeping pad? 1/8th inch CCF or king size 2 foot high inflatable mattress? How many extra batteries? Ect, ect, ect?

I was thinking of the Thermarest Z-lite closed cell pad. The short length one.
And maybe 2 or 4 spare batteries for my camera.

No stove? It's gonna get tough out there esp when the temp drops to the teens with sleet and you could sure use a nice hot drink or hot food. And it could be a life saver in certain situations. Hypothermia happens out there. And mail drops don't equate whether one brings a stove or not. You can do minimal drops and still carry one, at least an alcohol one just in case for the beginning and then from NH on. If you want to go without one in the summer months, that's fine.

Skip - sewing kit (you are carrying a safety pin and duct tape), moleskin (you have duct tape), guide books (companion or AT Pages) - though I would seriously consider maps.

Think you could use an insulating jacket at the start and for the Whites. Fleece only is not warm enough. My son hated his rain pants and rain jacket (he eventually carried a go lite umbrella), but I used my pants for the start and the Whites. One pair of shorts and one shirt for the start are needed or go with convertible pants. Crocs are nice for camp.

I guess a small alcohol stove would be a good idea. I think I read somewhere that you can make your own. Does anyone know of a site with instructions to do this? I'm kind of a Do-It-Yourself fanatic.

jesse
10-09-2008, 16:51
You might save weight by carring a light stove. Dehydrated food weighs less than cold food. I like to eat good when I'm in the woods. Going a week with out a hot meal would make me crazy.

As far as what you need. This winter camp out in your backyard, if you can carry on your back everything you need to stay warm and still have room for food/water, you'll be fine.

Skidsteer
10-09-2008, 17:10
I guess a small alcohol stove would be a good idea. I think I read somewhere that you can make your own. Does anyone know of a site with instructions to do this? I'm kind of a Do-It-Yourself fanatic.

http://zenstoves.net/Links.htm
http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html
http://royrobinson.homestead.com/Cat_Stove.html
http://www.ionstove.com/build.htm#Production
http://www.bplite.com/index.php

The search feature on WB will get lots of results as well.

Jack Tarlin
10-09-2008, 17:14
You mentioned a compass but you didn't mention maps.

The first won't be of much use without the other.

DylanD
10-09-2008, 18:06
You mentioned a compass but you didn't mention maps.

The first won't be of much use without the other.

Good Point