PDA

View Full Version : The Priest

Frau
10-09-2008, 18:14
I thought I posted this from work under Straight Forward, but I must a deleted it instead:

I am planning a Sunday hike south, up the Priest, to Crabtree Meadows, then back down the falls Trail. Is the spur to the Meadows clearly marked? AND, are there any creeks on the trail UP the Priest?

Thanks,

Frau

DAKS
10-09-2008, 18:36
the spur trail to the falls is clearly marked as a yellow blaze i think? you will head down the fire road(right turn) and cont. to a small parking lot with privy and garbage cans. the trail has a small info board and gate at the entrance. someone correct me if i am wrong?

there are several small creeks/spring runoff on the north side of the priest. not sure how well they are running right now, but in may they were very good. i was just on the southside of the priest summit last weekend. there is a creek or a spring running parallel to the fire road as you hike down to the falls trail.

hope this helps! good luck!

Walessp
10-09-2008, 19:30
Trail to the falls is NOT clearly marked as of about 4 months ago. We came up from the Montebello area and walked right past the turn-off. There is clear evidence of a trail but apparently the sign(s) had been removed. We hiked up to the Priest before discovering our error.

If you're coming down from the Priest you will be turning right off the AT at the bottom of the hill. Turnoff is less than a mile from the Priest (probably closer to 1/2 mile).

Outlaw

Blissful
10-09-2008, 19:51
We had no problem finding the trail the way you are doing it. Take the AT until you intersect a road (roughly a mile south of the Priest shelter turn off), turn right, head downhill to the parking area with fairly nice privy and billboard and the trail is there to the falls on the right. We did this same hike last Feb. Takes a while though to do this circuit. But we did it with major ice on the trail.

I think there was water going up as I recall but I wouln't count on it now. It's pretty dry.

Frau
10-09-2008, 20:23
Thanks for the responses. I need to make s circuit because I am hiking alone except for Win the Wonderdog.

Blissful, do you recall how many hours the hike took? I need to make sure I have enough food with me.

Fr.

Blissful
10-09-2008, 22:02
Again, we did it when there was a lot of ice on the trail, so it took us a good eight hours.

wnderer
10-11-2008, 20:23
I think they go hunting around there. If I remember correctly, there's a bullet hole in the Privy at the Priest shelter. When sitting in there, look to your right and you'll see the hole where the bullet exited. Look down to the left and behind you and you see where the bullet entered. Like someone sitting at the shelter took a potshot at the privy. :confused:

Frau
10-11-2008, 20:42
Hiked the Priest today, but did not return via Crabtree Falls. As worn out as I was, I decided NOT to hike back 4 miles on that curvy, dangerous road. There was a lot of activity going on in the area today--something involving mt. biking AND the campground was full. I didn't want to be dodging vehicles with my wobbley legs AND Win on leash. WHAT A HIKE! Kicked my butt.

I think it is bow season right now. Didn't use the privy, so missed the holes.

Frau