PDA

View Full Version : Half way point for Maryland Challenge?

winthrop4
10-09-2008, 19:15
My friend and I are hoping to do the Maryland Challenge in two parts over a couple weekeds--mainly because I don't do mornings well, the days are getting shorter, and we're trying to avoid having to drag slepping gear along--and we're trying trying to figure out where to park our car at approximately the halfway point. Does anyone have suggestions on a good mid-way point and approximately how far it is to the closest end of the MD AT (i.e. 15, 20, 25 miles)?

Thanks!

Blissful
10-09-2008, 20:04
Welcome to White Blaze!

It's only known as the Maryland challege if you do from Harpers Ferry to PA in one continuous hike. :) Other than that it's a section hike of the area, and you'll have a great, relaxing time the way you are planning it.

Maybe halfway at Turners Gap, US 40 just north of the Dahlgren Backpack site- ?

dessertrat
10-09-2008, 21:39
My friend and I are hoping to do the Maryland Challenge in two parts over a couple weekeds--mainly because I don't do mornings well, the days are getting shorter, and we're trying to avoid having to drag slepping gear along--and we're trying trying to figure out where to park our car at approximately the halfway point. Does anyone have suggestions on a good mid-way point and approximately how far it is to the closest end of the MD AT (i.e. 15, 20, 25 miles)?

Thanks!

The I-70 parking area is roughly halfway. Follow the signs toward Greenbriar State Park/Myersville/Rt. 17 off of I-70.

brianos
10-09-2008, 23:00
Yep, either the parking lot on US-40 by Pine Knob, Washington Monument State Park, or Turners Gap (alt US-40).