PDA

View Full Version : Woody Gap to Hog Pen Gap?

speedr73
10-10-2008, 06:35
A friend and I just started the AT and we did Springer to Woody Gap. I tell you, if you don't pay attention to the water sources when you plan, things can go terribly wrong. We planned on 10 miles per day, and simply figured we would find water close to our campsites to fill up just before, or just after. WRONG! There was no water for the handful of miles before Horse Gap (10.2 miles) and we were out when we got there, and already thirsty as hell. Plus, that is the worst place to try and camp that I would've thought to stay. Water wasn't for another 3.6 miles at Justus Creek. We made the hike anyways...from 11pm to 2:30am. I have never been so delirious in my life. Dehydration, middle of the night, the steepest hills I have ever hiked with a pack. I will say that I learned more in one day than anything else I have ever pushed myself to do. Having a 55lb pack didn't help the matter either. Too much extras will truly show you how to simplify.

But I digress...I am posting this to ask about our next trip. I am thinking of going from Woody Gap to Hog Pen Gap. I would like to stay at the top of Blood Mountain the first night, and the top of Cowrock the second with an easy finish on day three. What do you guys suggest? What is your advice? I would like to park at the end so we don't have to wait on a ride back to the car (get a shuttle from the car to the beginning). Can I park at Hog Pen? Also, I want to know about the water sources. I have read plenty about the water at the base of Blood, but what about the rest of the way?

Sorry about the ramble, I just needed to get that first part off my chest. :)

Thanks

bloodmountainman
10-10-2008, 07:07
The water sources in N. Ga. has been a big concern this summer. I suggest you bring 2 quarts with you to begin this hike. This should be enough to get you to the next water source. If you need more by the time you reach Jarrard Gap, there is a blue blazed trail to the left that leads 1 mile to Lake Winfield Scott and freash water. This is USFS campground.
The next water is at the trail intersection to Slaughter Creek Trail before the climb up Blood Mt. You can obtain water at Neel Gap and Walasi-Yi (also known as Mountain Crossing store and outfitter) You should have enough to make it to Hogpen Gap: if not there is a small spring located at Boggs Gap and one more off trail spring before Wolf Laurel ( look for blue blaze at both these spots) these are small springs that may or may not be flowing.
You are almost done at Tesnatee Gap with a BIG climb up to Wildcat Mountain. Next stop is Hogpen Gap with a safe parking area. Water should not be a problem for your hike. There is a water source at Hogpen if you need a little before heading home!
Have fun , this is a nice section. :D

Egads
10-10-2008, 07:11
Here's a link to GA water sources

http://georgia-atclub.org/water_resources.html

I carry a 2.5 L Paty + two 20 oz Gatorade bottles for unknown trail

I recommend camping at Slaughter Gap or Cowrock instead of Blood, but that is just my opinion. I've seen Blood with 20+ tents before.

Revisit your gear & leave the items home that you don't deem necessary or required for safety.

Good hiking

speedr73
10-10-2008, 07:22
Great info guys...I will do a little more research about Blood Mtn. My boss has been going up Blood since the 70s and swears by it. I guess he just loves the hike and the views.

Based on the first hike, I believe I carry enough water for the day. A 100oz bladder, and two nalgenes for a total of 164oz's or I believe one gallon. I just want the availability to cook with it as well. The meals will be freeze dried, and I bring a jetboil to boil the water.

In your opinion (everyone can jump in on this one) would waking up with the views from Blood Mtn. be better? Or waking up at Slaughter be better? Also, I was figuring on not having to start my day off hiking over Blood completely.

Egads
10-10-2008, 07:29
A 100oz bladder, and two nalgenes for a total of 164oz's or I believe one gallon.

This is overkill insanity.:eek: Just refill when you pass water & you'll do fine

papa john
10-10-2008, 08:06
You really should get a data book of some sort and plan your days hike based on the water sources. The stretch from Hawk Mtn Shelter to Justus Creek is always dry and requires carrying more water than normal. Otherwise, you don't need to carry that much as water sources are plentiful (in non-drought years of course). I hiked from Amicalola to Woody Gap and carried 2 liters. It was way more than I needed. When you get to a water source, camel up first and then top off your water bottles and move on. You shouldn't ever need to carry a gallon of water though....

gold bond
10-10-2008, 08:40
Look into geting a copy of the guide book, "Appalachian Pages" by David Miller and Rick Towle.I think you can purchase it here on WB. It is a very good "guide" on planning your hike. Just remember that it is wise to check here on WB and not a bad idea to call some of the local outfitters or shuttle services in the area you will be hiking to get a more "of the moment" situatation in that area.Water has been a issue the last couple of years and I got caught without as well so I try and do as much homework as possible before I go out. Your first story was great! I to left Springer with a heavy pack and a head full of idea's on how I was gonna do the old AT....well what I love to tell people is....three years later and about 2 grand I stiil ain't got it all figured out! Just enjoy yourself and the trail and you will have a great time! I wouldn't change anything I've done!

scope
10-10-2008, 09:27
Yeah, the beginning of the trail in GA can be the roughest, especially that section between Hawk and Gooch shelters. You'll really enjoy this next section, piece of cake compared to what you've done, including Blood. Only steep climbs are when you start at Woody and then after coming down Cowrock you climb Wildcat right before getting to Hogpen, but its short. Yes, parking is good at Hogpen and someone at Mountain Crossings can shuttle you.

Water is going to be available about 3 miles into the hike where there is a small stream running parallel to the trail - you'll see a campsite down on the right where you can get access. So don't take too much water up from Woody Gap as you'll be able to replenish soon. Take some time after the first mile to enjoy the view at Big Cedar for while. I think its the best view in GA, especially with the hawks flying by at eye level. Blood Mt is an easy climb from the west, so don't fret about having to do it first thing, especially from Slaughter which is about halfway up anyway. I'd even consider staying at Woods Hole shelter as the hike from there is really not bad at all. Could even throw your stuff down at the shelter, and go enjoy the sunset on Blood and hike back down.

Cowrock would be a great place to spend the second night, but so would Wildcat Mt if you care to do the extra mileage and leave yourself a really short day at the end. There's a nice site on top along the blue blaze trail to Whitley Gap shelter. Would even make a nice short hike from camp to the car for "refreshments".

Bulldawg
10-10-2008, 09:46
A 100oz bladder, and two nalgenes for a total of 164oz's or I believe one gallon. .

In your opinion (everyone can jump in on this one) would waking up with the views from Blood Mtn. be better? Or waking up at Slaughter be better?

WOW!!!! I never carry more than two quarts of water while hiking. My suggestion is to start with two quarts and really camel up when you get to your sources. I mean drink until you are saturated. Then fill up your quart containers. Maybe carry that 100oz bladder to fill at the last source before supper, but don't carry that all day.

On the campsite. I would either go all the way to Neel Gap in one day and stay in the hostel or pull up short at the Slaughter sites and get up really early and be on Blood for sun up. I would vote for the latter myself. Actually, what I would do is camp at Slaughter, break camp before sunrise and cook breakfast on picnic rock on Blood. It is a really easy half hour hike to the summit from those sites.

max patch
10-10-2008, 10:29
WOW!!!! I never carry more than two quarts of water while hiking.

In general, I agree with you, however, if he is going to camp at a non water spot (like Blood) then I'd carry the two quarts PLUS whatever I'd need for supper and breakfast which I would get at the last reliable water spot.

It rained this week so the seep at the Slaughter Campsites may have water. If not, just hike down the Slaughter Creek trail. You'll find water eventually.

jesse
10-10-2008, 10:32
I would encourage you to cut back on the pack weight. I hiked 50 miles on the BMT over a three day weekend and carried a total of 16lbs, including food/water. Had a similar situation, could not find water where I thought I could, so I had to walk furthur than originaly planned one day. Its eaiser to walk out of trouble if you are carrying a light load, plus, you don't spend as much energy between water sources, so you don't need as much water.

Bulldawg
10-10-2008, 10:34
In general, I agree with you, however, if he is going to camp at a non water spot (like Blood) then I'd carry the two quarts PLUS whatever I'd need for supper and breakfast which I would get at the last reliable water spot.

It rained this week so the seep at the Slaughter Campsites may have water. If not, just hike down the Slaughter Creek trail. You'll find water eventually.

Right that was exactly what I said when I said to carry the 100oz bladder to fill at the last water stop of the day for supper.

max patch
10-10-2008, 10:35
Right that was exactly what I said when I said to carry the 100oz bladder to fill at the last water stop of the day for supper.

Sorry, don't know how in the world I missed that.

Bulldawg
10-10-2008, 11:58
Sorry, don't know how in the world I missed that.

No problems man!

Egads
10-10-2008, 12:13
I would encourage you to cut back on the pack weight. Its easier to walk out of trouble if you are carrying a light load, plus, you don't spend as much energy between water sources, so you don't need as much water.

This is good advice.

I find that I need about 5 oz H2O per mile when hiking all day. More for cooking.

Bulldawg
10-10-2008, 12:16
This is good advice.

I find that I need about 5 oz H2O per mile when hiking all day. More for cooking.

That sounds about right for me unless it is the dead of summer. I drink 32 ounces on a Blood Mountain loop that is right at 5 miles, so 5 oz. per mile is about right.

speedr73
10-10-2008, 16:08
I do drink a ton of water though...It's much easier to drink when the tube is right there at your mouth. But to be honest, I don't think it was all 164oz's. The bladder seemed very difficult to fill all the way and still pack comfortably. I put mine on the side, so it might only have 60 or so ounces. But still, after being dehydrated, I would rather carry too much.

Also, I did have the guidebook with me. The AT Data Book 2008. But like I said, I paid attention to the mileage itself instead of water location. Now I will focus on planning my hikes and ending my days based on water.

Oh, and the 55lb pack? That's easy to lower...I was carrying waaaayyyy too much useless s$%t. My tent is 4lbs. Sleeping bag 1.5lbs. All the main gear is lightweight. This time, with water and food, I will be surprised if the whole pack weighs more than 30 or so pounds; the pack itself is less than 4lbs. And that's with carrying one of those very small 3lb foldout chairs with me. I love that thing, and is great for my knees and circulation to my feet. Last time I was carrying fish fillets, whole jar of penut butter, kebobs, too many bars, GORP, and other stuff that I never even touched. I am diabetic, so I do tend to bring a little extra, but from what I learned last trip, it won't happen again.