PDA

View Full Version : NCNST Trail Markings

Rowdy Yates
10-10-2008, 11:04
How well marked is the North Country Trail, especially in the state of Michigan? How is it marked? with paint blazes as many of the other trails are, or with the Star Plaque? If it is not very well marked how can one be sure that they are not trespassing on private property? Maybe these are silly question to some but as far as I am concerned they are serious. :-?

fishinfred
10-10-2008, 11:15
I've only been on the section thru the Manistee NF (NICE).It was well marked with WHITE BLAZES.

Tilly
10-10-2008, 12:45
I've only been on the section thru the Manistee NF (NICE).It was well marked with WHITE BLAZES.

Sorry, just came home from there yesterday.

The NCT is BLUE BLAZED. The side trails are WHITE blazed.

I agree though that the section through Pere Marquette and Manistee is excellently blazed, maintained, and generally has very good trail work. Michigan is fully mapped. Southern MI is more country roadwalks until Manistee. Can't tell you what to expect in the UP, except that the sections through Pictured Rocks and the Porkies should be well maintained.

Tilly
10-10-2008, 12:46
BTW, the land owners will let you know if you're on private property. They usually post signs about every 4 feet.

The maps show green for state/fed land and white for private property.

Lyle
10-10-2008, 20:57
The proper marking for the NCT is, in fact, 2"X6" blue blazes. Years ago it was blazed with blue diamonds, so it's possible to occasionally see some of those. Also, in areas that coincide with Michigan DNR Pathways, you will see concurrent blue rectangles and blue dots.

You should also find the NPS "pregnant triangles" with the NCT logo at most road crossings, usually on a carsonite post a few feet in from the road - full color for certified sections, black and white for connector sections. The home page of the NCTA website has the "pregnant triangle" on it.

http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

fancyfeet
10-10-2008, 21:52
I hiked the Pictured Rocks section, which was well blazed, usually plastic blue blazes nailed on trees. Sometimes the star logo was used and I found good signage at cross trails. See the official NCTA website Lyle noted above. There are extensive trail condition reports and lots of good info there. Generally the trail in the northern LP and in the UP is the most complete. Lower Michigan is still largely incomplete.

walkswithsun
12-17-2008, 23:05
How well marked is the North Country Trail, especially in the state of Michigan? How is it marked? with paint blazes as many of the other trails are, or with the Star Plaque? If it is not very well marked how can one be sure that they are not trespassing on private property? Maybe these are silly question to some but as far as I am concerned they are serious. :-?

Portions in the Lower are well marked. Along Pictured Rocks, there are not as many, which makes me not want to do it in the winter. Though you are still on a well-marked trail.