PDA

View Full Version : AT related fiction?

Filadelfia Greenberg
10-10-2008, 11:48
Are there any Hiking related magazines or other publications that publish fiction? The reason I ask is that I am writer by trade, and I've written a couple of trail-inspired short stories and poems which I plan to shop around for possible publication. (I'm also working on a play about thru-hiking atm) Anyway, I'd be much obliged if anyone could point me in the right direction. As this is a Niche market, I'm hoping there might be some publications which aren't mentioned in Writer's Market.

DapperD
10-10-2008, 21:04
Are there any Hiking related magazines or other publications that publish fiction? The reason I ask is that I am writer by trade, and I've written a couple of trail-inspired short stories and poems which I plan to shop around for possible publication. (I'm also working on a play about thru-hiking atm) Anyway, I'd be much obliged if anyone could point me in the right direction. As this is a Niche market, I'm hoping there might be some publications which aren't mentioned in Writer's Market.I don't know offhand about magazines and publications, but I am pretty sure I read that the AT movie "Southbounders" was a fictional account, maybe you can contact the producers of that for some possible information.

generoll
10-10-2008, 21:35
some decent fiction from Bill Bryson.

Ziggy Trek
10-10-2008, 21:53
Backpacker Magazine publishes fiction. Oh... my bad, they call them gear reviews. You probably wouldn't be interested in hacking those.
Try Orion Magazine (http://orionmagazine.org), maybe they are looking for your kind of stuff. Good luck.

weary
10-10-2008, 22:06
some decent fiction from Bill Bryson.
Well, I question the word "decent" but you are right.

Stephen King has written stuff that could have easily be related to the trail, but I've never been able to get through any of his books, so I don't know for sure. Outside publishes a lot of stuff that is written as if it was fiction. But they seem to prefer to call it non fiction.

Hiking is a tiny niche activity, which makes strictly a hiking story difficult.

Your best bet may be hunting and fishing magazines, several of which print fiction.

Weary

Frosty
10-11-2008, 00:12
You don't need to have a hiking magazine to publish fiction taking place on the trail. Especially if you can add a genre element to your stories, you can publish them in fiction magazines.

I've sold two such stories, one to Futures Magazine and one to Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine.