PDA

View Full Version : how to you carry your camera?

julian
10-10-2008, 17:24
I'm trying to figure out a good solution for carrying my camera on the PCT this coming spring (it'll be a small digital camera, not an SLR or anything). On my past backpacking trips, I've always struggled with this.

I have a GoLite Pinnacle bag and have always either carried the camera in the front pocket on the bag... which results in me having to take the pack off every time I want to take a picture... or in my pocket which works wonderfully except I'm always nervous I'll slip, bump my waist against something and crush the camera.

I've been thinking of sewing a little front-back style thing to my hip-belt to hold a camera, maybe a Snickers bar and map. Anyone found a simple, inexpensive solution I may be overlooking here?

Happy trails,
Julian

HikerRanky
10-10-2008, 17:29
I'm trying to figure out a good solution for carrying my camera on the PCT this coming spring (it'll be a small digital camera, not an SLR or anything). On my past backpacking trips, I've always struggled with this.

I have a GoLite Pinnacle bag and have always either carried the camera in the front pocket on the bag... which results in me having to take the pack off every time I want to take a picture... or in my pocket which works wonderfully except I'm always nervous I'll slip, bump my waist against something and crush the camera.

I've been thinking of sewing a little front-back style thing to my hip-belt to hold a camera, maybe a Snickers bar and map. Anyone found a simple, inexpensive solution I may be overlooking here?

Happy trails,
Julian

Hey Julian!

I too have a GoLite Pinnacle, and what I found was the medium Deuter camera bag worked best for me.... It has 2 Velcro straps as well as a belt loop. I fed the sternum strap thru the belt loop part of the camera bag... That leaves it there, and I can unzip the bag, take my pictures, and zip the camera bag back up....

Perhaps we should recommend to GoLite to sew some pockets on the waist belt for such as this....

Randy

Footslogger
10-10-2008, 17:32
I wear a fanny pack and it has a small zippered pouch in the front. Camera is always handy. If it's raining I just put the camera in a ziplock and stick it back in the zipper compartment.

'Slogger

Cosmo
10-10-2008, 17:54
I carry mine in my front pants pocket in a ziplock bag.

Cosmo

Homer&Marje
10-10-2008, 18:00
Fanny pack attached around the middle of the pack so that it hangs off to the left or right side. As in, instead of clipping it to yourself and letting it hang in front I just clip it to the back, making sure the buckle is not in the middle of my back and hang it off to the side....keeps my essentials, camera, snack, etc...

Cool AT Breeze
10-10-2008, 18:01

Cosmo
Mine too.

PaceCar
10-10-2008, 18:02
We have a Canon digital Elph camera which fits nicely with a small piece of foam in an Otter box. It's a waterproof hard shell case and I hang it from a caribeener off of my shoulder strap in front. Easy access, waterproof, bump & bang proof. Work's great. Weighs a bit but it protects the camera and keeps it right at hand.

ChinMusic
10-10-2008, 18:24
I keep my camera and some other minor stuff in one of these belt pouches: http://www.granitegear.com/products/accessories/beltpocket.html

http://www.granitegear.com/images/products/accessories/bp3.jpg

Hooch
10-10-2008, 18:38
Camera goes in ziplock which, in turn, is placed in a the pocket of my shorts/pants. Easy, cheap, lightweight. 'Nuff said. :D

mudhead
10-10-2008, 18:40
Saw an OR camera pouch. Flip top hatch. Looked slick. I need something as close to "in my hand" as I can get. Missing lots of stuff.

rafe
10-10-2008, 19:06
Simblissity "UnSlack Pack." http://www.simblissity.net/

Pedaling Fool
10-10-2008, 19:40
I have a Case Logic camera case from Walmart. It has a strap on the back for slipping onto a belt; my pack belt is too big for it so I use that strap to lash the case to my backpack shoulder harness. I like this case because it has 2 pockets, in addition to the camera compartent, for carrying batteries/extra disc and I carry a shower cap in the back pocket for when it rains.

This system is good because the camera is securely fastened and there's no annoying dangling; also I don't have to put away my camera when it rains and I always have the camera ready for an unexpected pic.

mudhead
10-10-2008, 19:43
Zipper? Could you describe the shower cap method you use?

Pedaling Fool
10-10-2008, 19:46
No zipper, it just has an elastic band to fit snugly around your head, but it works pretty good for my case. It's not as snug, but it's enough to keep the rain out.

Roots
10-10-2008, 19:46
I have an Olympus Stylus 730. I use a Seal Line case. It is waterproof with a waterproofed zipper. It even has a small pocket on the inside big enough for my ID, car key, and money. The inside is a soft felt like material which I figure gives it a little extra protection. It has a velcro strap on the backside that velcro's around my backpack's hipbelt. I leave the zipper facing up so I can just unzip and there is my camera. I've used this case and camera for over 500 miles of hiking and backpacking and it still works well. When it rains, I do try to keep my rain jacket pulled down over it just in case.

bigcranky
10-10-2008, 19:51
Small Eagle Creek waist pack, worn in front. Camera goes in the main pocket, little stuff in the front pocket. Easy access. Keep the camera in a ziploc bag if it's raining.

strates
10-10-2008, 20:53
Consider one of the Olympus Stylus cameras which have an SW rating. They are shock and weather/waterproof. I recently got an 850 SW. I've been carrying slung from the shoulder strap with a carabiner, and dont worry about crushing it or getting it wet.

kayak karl
10-10-2008, 21:46
if you put your camera or phone in a WATERPROOF container add a SILICA PACKET (the ones that say DO NOT EAT) it will pevent rust on the interior parts, that way your stuff won't corrode and Verizon tell you its "NOT COVERED" because you got it wet :mad:....... but you know you DIDN'T get it wet, but they make you put it on the insurance with the $50 co-pay. :mad:

sasquatch2014
10-11-2008, 08:08
I have a small Lowepro camera case for the Fuji 500A that I have been using most likely will switch camera this works but i want one with a few other options. I keep it in the case and attached to my hip belt. I am able to get it out pretty quickly. If it is heavy rain I may put it away as the case does soak up some moisture. I could probably spray it with a water proofing spray and that would be reduced some.

Jaybird
10-11-2008, 08:30
I'm trying to figure out a good solution for carrying my camera on the PCT this coming spring (it'll be a small digital camera, not an SLR or anything). On my past backpacking trips, I've always struggled with this.....................ETC.,ETC.,ETC.,.......... ......................................
Happy trails,
Julian

Yo Julian,

If youre wearing the rain "resistant" pants (or shorts)your CAMERA should be fine riding in an outter pocket.
If its stashed elsewhere...you'll be missing a load of great "shots".
I use a Nikon CoolPix 7.1 digital & it rides in my front pants pocket.
I have a "weather proof" case that fits it like a glove & slide it on when RAINING!

Good Luck with yer hike!

buz
10-15-2008, 10:21
I put mine in a proper sized case, in ziplok, and slide sternum strap thru it. I have a piece of rubber inner tube on the strap to ensure the camera doesn't come off when you take the pack off. Very convienant when hiking, camera is right there. I can't use pants pockets, waist belt gets in the way, and doesn't feel very good when hiking.

Cookerhiker
10-15-2008, 10:25
On the sternum strap. My camera is a Nikon Coolpix and the case is Lowe with both a velcro fastener and a snap button so it never comes off.

Gray Blazer
10-15-2008, 10:44

Cosmo

Ditto: If it wern't so accesable, I might not want to get it out every time I see something picworthy.

tiptoe
10-15-2008, 10:52
Camera (Canon S30) goes in ziplock; ziplock goes in small pouch (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___60808) attached to front of belt.

Pedaling Fool
10-15-2008, 10:55
Camera (Canon S30) goes in ziplock; ziplock goes in small pouch (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___60808) attached to front of belt.
Your link claims the pouch is waterproof - I guess that's not the case since you put your camera in a ziplock?

tiptoe
10-15-2008, 11:33
I know, but I like to be on the safe side. The ziplock also protects the lens and viewer from scratches (I also carry other stuff in the pouch). Things do stay pretty dry inside, though.

Chaco Taco
10-15-2008, 11:36
On my Golite Pinnacle, I would put my camera in a samsonite camera holder. Real durable and would slip it into my water bottle sleeve in front of my nalgene. It stays there and doesnt move around. The case is really good and cheap, Walmart $12. Also very easy to reach the camera especially when you need to grab it really quick.

fraufrack
10-15-2008, 11:52
I've been pleased protecting my camera with the new-style koozie (drink insulator) cups. When not in use, it will squish flat or fold up easily; when in use, it hugs my camera well. I think they're made out of neoprene. We get them for free at various (usually football or school related) events. It may be too big if you have a super slim camera, but you could experiment cutting it up & resewing it to make it fit right or to make it attach to your hip belt. This is not a waterproof solution, so you'd still need a good ziplock. I use Pinnacle too and am keeping my camera (actually just cellphone camera, when I'm hiking) in a ziplock-type bag in one of the side mesh pockets.

There may be other uses for this koozie thing too... hot pad/mitt for cooking, showing off school/team spirit, I dunno...

RiverWarriorPJ
10-15-2008, 11:52
Vest PocKet..!!!..

fraufrack
10-15-2008, 11:59
I think they're made out of neoprene.

I just checked. The ones we've received for free are a thin, light foam with a covering that looks & feels like knit nylon/polyester/spandex or something. The koozies that were not free (but were given to us as gifts) are actually neoprene. The neoprene type is thicker, weighs more, & isn't as squishable, but could be cut & adapted to be squishier. I prefer the neoprene for normal koozie use but I think I'd prefer the free foam ones for backpacking.

Tipi Walter
10-15-2008, 13:27
Camera goes in ziplock which, in turn, is placed in a the pocket of my shorts/pants. Easy, cheap, lightweight. 'Nuff said. :D

Ditto: If it wern't so accesable, I might not want to get it out every time I see something picworthy.

I also keep my Cyber-shot camera in my right shorts pocket and use my Gregory pack cover stuff sack(small little blue thing)to hold it. Only if it is raining do I bother to use a ziploc.

JaxHiker
10-16-2008, 15:19
I carry an Olympus 850 SW. It's shock and waterproof so I just carry it in my front pocket.

paradoxb3
10-21-2008, 11:16
Your link claims the pouch is waterproof - I guess that's not the case since you put your camera in a ziplock?

just like anything (sleeping bag ratings, gear weights, etc), i am a firm believer that manufacturer's concepts of waterproofness and trail waterproofness are two totally different things. sure, they're in the ballpark 99% of the time, but for that other 1%, i put my electronics in a ziplock too. :)

i like the idea that someone mentioned about a small silica packet in with it. never thought of that! the method they use to determine if a phone is water damaged is a strip of some sort of color changing litmus paper. I would imagine prolonged moist environments could cause it to be activated, even if the device never actually got dunked. Just my theory though.

johnny quest
10-22-2008, 15:01
on my chest, in a pouch, tied on a long cord that, if i drop it, will only fall to about knee level.

Macallister Vagabond
10-28-2008, 11:09
I always keep it in my front right pocket. It's very easy to get to and I can shoot with one hand.

Powder River
11-18-2008, 03:27
I carried my Canon G9 the entire length of the trail in a Lowepro Apex 20 (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Apex-20-AW,1904,24.htm). I didn't want it on my hip, sternum, waist, or any other strap, because I figured it would be in the way in any of those places. So, I simply used the supplied shoulder strap and slung it across my chest so it would ride just below my ribcage on my left side. I put my pack over that, and nothing was in the way of anything else. The camera was out of the way of my arms, and the pack had no problem since the shoulder strap and waist belt were well away from it. This made my camera easily accessable, and I got more photos because of it. (2300+ frames) It was also very handy when I wanted to drop my pack and go hike up a side trail; I would still have my camera in a protective case on my person for those times.

I carried a ziplock bag inside the case, usually scrunched down in the bottom, but easily accessible to put the camera in if it started to rain, or if I was sweating a lot and soaking the nylon case. Hope this helps!

KG4FAM
01-27-2009, 10:32
Dana Designs Wet Rib

boarstone
01-27-2009, 10:34
If you know of anyone getting eye treatment/lasered, the little bag w/all their "stuff" in it, sun glasses/eye drops etc, works great! Is pretty waterproof (at least mine is), is a waist pack, 1 compartment, keeps dust off etc. Those sun glasses work pretty good to for those of us w/prescription glasses and like to wear sun shades over them. I have a couple of pairs, are free and work great.

Many Walks
01-27-2009, 12:51
Nikon Coolpix S-10, Tamrac 5691 camera pouch on my sternum strap. Silica pack in the ziplock in heavy rain. The pouch has a zippered compartment in front that holds spare battery and SD card. On the trail I also keep my money, credit card and drivers license in a ziplock in this pouch so it is always secure and protected. It is light, convenient and works great for me.

Pedaling Fool
01-27-2009, 12:53
True. I wouldn't have so many pics in my gallery if my camera was in my pack, that's why I keep it attached to my shoulder strap.

Doxie
02-06-2009, 14:08
I have a Canon digital elph, I put mine in a sandwich sized ziploc, and put the ziploc into a heavily padded case I got from Walmart with a velcro belt strap on the back. The case fits on my hip belt with the velcro strap. When it rains, I either put it in my top pocket where I can reach up and get it....or I just put the ziploc in my raincoat pocket if I know there are a lot of things I'm gonna want to take a picture of that day. The case is great protection, but it's not waterproof, hence the ziploc. The case also has room for two extra picture cards, and an extra battery. However, I couldn't find it on the Walmart website, so they might not sell that exact one anymore...

Freeleo
02-06-2009, 14:31
i always hike in these shorts, which have a pocket accessible on the right side for quick and easy access. it is becuase of the camera access that i will rarely hike in anything else. i do use a compact digital camera with plenty of room for a bigger camera.

http://www.railriders.com/men-rampage-shorts-p-892.html?cPath=104_112

Sly
02-06-2009, 16:06
Simblissity "UnSlack Pack." http://www.simblissity.net/

That's what I use.

Tinker
02-06-2009, 16:17
I'll weigh in on this one, I guess, though I don't have any cure-all that will eliminate condensation issues.
I bought a pack cover from REI which came in a nice shoulder strap mounted zip pouch. I keep the camera (Sony Cybershot Dsc-t1) in a ziplock freezer bag inside said pouch. On nice, sunny days I leave it out of the ziplock for easier access. On questionable days I leave it in the ziplock. I've missed a few good shots because of this, but the camera (which Sony admits is not good in damp weather) has never given me any trouble on the trail.