PDA

View Full Version : 3 Ridges

Frau
10-10-2008, 18:53
Anyone hiked the 3 Ridges Loop, beginning and ending at Reed's Gap? Any info?

thanks,

Frau

warraghiyagey
10-10-2008, 18:59
When two ridges just aren't enough.

Richard Snider
10-11-2008, 18:09
I hiked it in March from Reeds Gap. Among the locals of this area it is one of the classic hikes of the Blue Ridge. There are are are few steep areas but they're short. The loop consists of the Three Ridges section of the AT and the Mau-Har Trail blue blaze trail. Most people make it a two day trip. If you're going from Reed's Gap to the summit of Three Ridges it's an easy one day trip.
The
You can park at the Three Ridges overlook (between mile posts 13 & 14 of the Blue Ridge Parkway) or at the Reeds Gap parking (also between mile posts 13 & 14 of the Blue Ridge Parkway, Where Rt 664 crosses the Blue Ridge Parkway).

Richard Snider
10-11-2008, 18:14
I posted my previous reply before I was finished.
The best map for this area is the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC) Map 12. Most Virginina outfitters should have it or you can order it from their website.

Frau
10-11-2008, 20:29
Thanks for the help. I hiked THE PRIEST from Rt. 56 south to the shelter today. MY intention had been to take Crabtree Falls down and then walk the road back to the AT trail head. BUT, I was pretty worn out at the shelter, so went back the way I came in. I hope I have the strength to hike 3 Ridges.

Do you have a rough guesstimate of how long the entire loop is? I suspect I will only be able to go in and out on the AT, after wearing myself out today, but I CAN plan for another day.

Thanks again,

Frau

Frau
10-12-2008, 05:56
Heading to 3 Ridges shortly with my trusty NG Lex. area section map. It will have to do. I have been hunting for the Hiking the Old Dominion, to read up on those trail sections, but Nessmuk must have taken it to tracking class.

One good thing for the day--it is not as steep as the Priest.

Frau

Groucho
10-12-2008, 12:51
Thanks for the help. I hiked THE PRIEST from Rt. 56 south to the shelter today. MY intention had been to take Crabtree Falls down and then walk the road back to the AT trail head. BUT, I was pretty worn out at the shelter, so went back the way I came in. I hope I have the strength to hike 3 Ridges.

Do you have a rough guesstimate of how long the entire loop is? I suspect I will only be able to go in and out on the AT, after wearing myself out today, but I CAN plan for another day.

Thanks again,

Frau

13.5 mi. from Reeds. The Mau-Har is 3 mi. Going clockwise avoids the steep climb from Harpers Creek to 3 Ridges. Of course total climb and descent are the same either direction.

Blissful
10-12-2008, 16:33
The 3 ridges is a tough section. If you were tired on the Priest hike, this one will be tough if not tougher. Suggest making it an overnighter so you can enjoy it.

Frau
10-12-2008, 18:12
I ended up just hiking out to the 3 Ridges summit and then back via the AT. While certainly not as difficult as the Priest, I was worn, as was Winston. I found a worn pad when we were starting back down.

You all are right about making it an overniter. Nessmuk can go along that way. It IS a beautiful hike!

I felt sorry for the young girl I met, who was hiking for 1 1/2 weeks. ON the way up 3 Ridges, she thought she was climbing the Priest. I didn't have the heart to tell her how much MORE she had to do just to get to the BOTTOM of the Priest.;)

Can't wait for next weekend.

Frau

Blissful
10-12-2008, 19:01
You'll be able to do all kinds of trail then, getting these biggies of the way! :)

Bilbo
11-08-2008, 09:15
Anyone hiked the 3 Ridges Loop, beginning and ending at Reed's Gap? Any info?

thanks,

Frau

Great one day hike from Reeds Gap to top of Three Ridges and back. There are two good places to take a break Maupin Shelter and Hanging Rock overlook.

Here is a link to a view from Hanging Rock towards the Priest.

(http://appalachianpages.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=407])http://appalachianpages.com/gallery/data/557/thumbs/View_From_Hanging_Rock_overlook_of_Priest.jpg

This is the first time I have tried to insert a link so I hope it works. If it doesn't you can view the photos on the sister web site www.appalachianpages.com (http://www.appalachianpages.com) View photos and select B for Bilbo and there are photos there of Maupin shelter Three Ridges etc.

This is a great place to hike.

Frau
11-09-2008, 21:24
I hiked the Priest that Saturday and then 3 Ridges from Reed's Gap to the summit only. A good thing, that--I discovered dog pads worn down to pink (from that killer Priest hike). Had I gone further we might have had bloody paws.

I DO want to hike up from 56 though, to Maupin Field.

Fr.

Bilbo
11-10-2008, 12:31
I hiked the Priest that Saturday and then 3 Ridges from Reed's Gap to the summit only. A good thing, that--I discovered dog pads worn down to pink (from that killer Priest hike). Had I gone further we might have had bloody paws.

I DO want to hike up from 56 though, to Maupin Field.

Fr.

I have a yellow lab that hikes with me, and I have to keep an eye on her pads also. If I take a 5 mile hike she must hike 10 hahahaha. She is a great partner though. Her name is Abby.

Any time she sees me put on my hat or pick up my treking pole she is ready to go and drive us crazy.

Frau
11-11-2008, 18:54
Win starts hoppin' when I put the hiking shoes on. I still don't understand why, after 6 years of hiking and no pad problems he suddenly wears off the tough skin on his front paws.

10 miles for every 5 I do, at the very least. I have a yellow Lab, too, but he has one bad knee and a bad hip on the opposite side. He goes for slow strolls on open fields or FS roads only.

Win is an especially good hiking partner when I head out by myself, like this past weekend.

Fr

tophatxj
11-14-2008, 12:47
Hiked it last augest. All but one creek was dried up so bring a lot of water. Was pretty tiring too.