PDA

View Full Version : Fishing near Blood?

speedr73
10-10-2008, 21:41
I am going to do a small section over three days; Woody to Hog Pen. We will be camping at Blood Mtn. on the first night. I was told for day two to go fishing either at Wolf Creek at Vogel, or the stream funneling lake Winfield Scott. Either one is a fairly short jaunt on a Blue blaze once we get to the bottom of Blood Mtn.

My first question is what you all think? Next is, how easy is it to get to the fishing spots I am being told about? Is what I'm being told reliable information?

We will be camping night two at the top of Cowrock, so there should be enough time to do a little side trip. I just want to make sure that this information is reliable. Some people think what is easy to them is easy to everybody; so I don't want to get caught with more than I can handle. An extra 3 mile round trip is not a big deal of the trail is easy (meaning not up and down roller coaster style).

Anyways, I basically want to know your ideas on fishing around Blood mountain.

Thanks

Dances with Mice
10-10-2008, 21:55
Lake Winfield Scott is easy to get to. At the water source (almost dry) at Slaughter Gap campsites, take the Slaughter Creek trail that goes right, the AT will turn left. It's all downhill, as they say... and the trail leads directly to the lake. Pay attention when you cross a gravel road and remember that spot because you won't be returning on the Slaughter Creek trail.

On the way back when you get to the gravel road, turn right on the road. The road will make a sharp bend left then another right. Immediately past the right hand bend you'll find the Jarrard Gap trailhead on the left, marked by a large rock beside the road. It's just a mile or so back to the AT.

speedr73
10-11-2008, 05:08
I want to make sure I'm understanding those directions, because I thought we would have already passed Slaughter Gap campsites and the Slaughter Creek trail. We will be camping at the TOP of Blood Mountain, so I was curious about fishing spots coming down Blood as we make our way to Cowrock.

Has anyone been fishing in those creeks/streams/rivers? Can you report on which one was the biggest or most plentiful? I was hoping to do stream fishing, and not lake fishing, but either way I guess it would be fun.

I can see that Lake Winfield Scott is easy to get to, but Wolf Creek is on the north side of Blood and seems close too. We want to fish on day two, which if I understand this correctly, will have us well passed the trail your speaking of right?

If I am wrong please let me know...I am just trying to understand how these side trails work.

Thanks

bloodmountainman
10-11-2008, 09:37
Trout fishing in Ga. will soon be a thing of the past. Due to our State budget DNR will have to cut back in stocking programs. Two hatcheries are slated to be closed down. No stocking of trout this summer due to drought conditions. None of the streams in the Blood Mt. area are worth the effort to come off the trail to fish.

Dances with Mice
10-11-2008, 12:42
The Slaughter Ck Trail to Winnie Scott is on the south side of Blood. You will have passed both it and the Jarrad Gap trail if NOBO and camping atop Blood Mtn. My directions would have been for a SOBO hike the day after camping on Blood.

speedr73
10-11-2008, 15:21
Trout fishing in Ga. will soon be a thing of the past. Due to our State budget DNR will have to cut back in stocking programs. Two hatcheries are slated to be closed down. No stocking of trout this summer due to drought conditions. None of the streams in the Blood Mt. area are worth the effort to come off the trail to fish.

Wow...the effect of this economy just keeps getting deeper and deeper. I like to get outdoors to get away from all this mess, and now it seems to be controlling my hike somewhat. Amazing.:cool:

bloodmountainman
10-11-2008, 15:41
Wow...the effect of this economy just keeps getting deeper and deeper. I like to get outdoors to get away from all this mess, and now it seems to be controlling my hike somewhat. Amazing.:cool:
Not as bad as I made it sound! There is trout fishing still to be done in Ga. Just not the area you described.
The Raven Cliff Falls Trail follows Dodd Creek. This is a good stream for wild rainbows and some very small brookies.
There are a few other places to catch these wild fish that I would not like to make public. Not many fishing oppurtunities for trout fishing along the Ga AT section.

speedr73
10-11-2008, 18:34
Cool...I will just make trout fishing the focus of a future trip I guess. At least the views off of Blood and Cowrock will be amazing. And so long as I don't get attacked, camping among these coyote's I hear about at the top of Cowrock might be pretty cool too.