PDA

View Full Version : Late Season Plans

sasquatch2014
10-11-2008, 13:03
So as the weather begins to turn so do my thoughts of getting out on the trail. due to my work some of the best time for me to get out there is in the Winter months when things are quiet at work. After seeing a number of posts regarding cold and wet conditions and Winter making its apperance up north I began to wonder how many people plan for winter trips and getting out on the trail in the "late" season.

Tin Man
10-12-2008, 12:29
Does Boy Scout camping count? :) Our troop is planning a 2-3 mile overnight trip in December, Klondike Derby in January and a Cabin Trip in February. Some hiking involved in each. Last year we had snow for the Dec. and Jan. trips, but none in Feb., oddly enough. I don't do the cabin "video game trip" scene in Feb., but my boys love it.

sasquatch2014
10-12-2008, 19:24
I may try to shoot out of here in the next week or so Tin Man to finsih up a small section I have up near Salisbury. I'll give you a shout and if you can shake loose we could meet up and shuttle cars. Would make it easier.

Hey by the way I believe that there is like a multiplier in effect when your out with a bunch of kids. For every 10 kids it doubles the number of nights it has felt like. Kind of like Bonus Miles.

Camp Counselor
10-12-2008, 19:50
Two trips in the planning, so far. One for Nov 1st, and another for about February. Hoping to fit a couple others in. Both trips that are planned at this point are 3 day two night. One tenting and the other is to a back country cabin.

Dogwood
10-12-2008, 20:19
So as the weather begins to turn so do my thoughts of getting out on the trail. due to my work some of the best time for me to get out there is in the Winter months when things are quiet at work. After seeing a number of posts regarding cold and wet conditions and Winter making its apperance up north I began to wonder how many people plan for winter trips and getting out on the trail in the "late" season.

Great time of the yr.

In the works:

1)Foothills Trl thru-hike to the Bartram Trl to the AT to Wasser bald

2) GSMNP 4 day loop over Mt. LeConte and along the AT

3) BATONA thru-hike of 3 days in the NJ Pinelands

4) Grand Canyon - Havasu Falls and 3-4 days under the rim along Tonto/Kaibob/Grandview TRls.

Blissful
10-12-2008, 21:54
Going to hike the whole of Shenandoah. :)

Kerosene
10-13-2008, 14:21
I'm leaving for Tennessee next Friday night. Hikerhead and I plan to cover the 41 miles from US-321 NOBO into Damascus on Saturday and Sunday, after which he'll shuttle me back to US-321 and I'll head south to Erwin, finishing the 120 miles by Friday night if all goes well.

I love hiking in the Fall, and hope it's not too far past peak color. However, you have to plan for big temperature swings and low water levels.