PDA

View Full Version : pot cosy insulation

kdholmwood
03-22-2004, 15:06
Aaron at Brasslite recommends lining a pot cosy with aluminium foil, to enhance heat retention. Vacuum flasks have silvered glass to improve performance. Sergeant Rock does not bother with foil for his lemonade jar beaker jacket. Could someone explain whether, or how, a silvered, reflective lining reflects heat, or anything else, in the dark? Thanks.

flyfisher
03-22-2004, 15:47
Could someone explain whether, or how, a silvered, reflective lining reflects heat, or anything else, in the dark? Thanks.

Heat is infrared light and it reflects off silvered surfaces. Heat is transfered by radiation (light) conduction and convection. Aluminum foil does a nice job of keeping IR light from leaving the hot substance. It works much better when there is a vacuum which stops conduction and convection, like a Thermos.

Rick

kdholmwood
03-22-2004, 16:40
Thanks, Rick. Science never was my forte.

Keith

Lint
03-23-2004, 22:23
I was going to buy one of those pot cozies from Antigravity Gear until I rode my bike to the hardware store and just bought some of that bubble wrap with both sides covered in foil (just like the manufacturers photos). With the help of some foil tape I am now the proud owner of a pot cozy! Just made this thing the other day and am testing it out, seems to work great. I'll be carrying it on the AT, and for now will cook my lunches at work with it.

Streamweaver
03-23-2004, 23:25
Actually if the foil is right up against the pot ,the heat will pass through it instead of being reflected by it.Its the same thing that happens if you lay on top of a space blanket the heat passes through it ,but if you lay under it with a sleeping bag or blanket between you and the space blanket then it will reflect the heat back to you. So it would prolly be better to put the foil around the outside of the cozy as opposed to lining the inside. Streamweaver