PDA

View Full Version : really stupid hamock questions

A-Train
03-22-2004, 15:13
Hey all. I just got a Hennessy Hammock because I saw how happy people were with them on the AT last year and you cant beat the weight. I did virtually no reserach before buying one. I got it and there is two parts to it in the bag and an extra part. I assume the main body is the hammock and the other is the rain fly/tarp. What is the third section for? Is this the snack skins? What are they?
Is there some better way to get directions for setup. The directions on the back of the bag seemed hard to follow (I'm a complete idiot when it comes to things like this, i usually need to be shown). They read easy but don't even explain what is what. Any suggestions? Also how do you make this a tarp? Is it possible for summer time use? Thanks a lot and sorry for these lame questions. Sometimes I wonder whether i really thru-hiked :)

flyfisher
03-22-2004, 15:27
There are no stupid questions, but a lot of stupid people ask questions. You are not one.

Take a look at the sites below as a starter:

http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html
and
http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/whyhammock.htm

After reading them and their links you too will be a HH hammock master.

Crash
03-24-2004, 00:53
And check out White Blaze posts here too. Different hammocks and different people can give you more info and ideas to really enjoy your hammock. That other 'thru-hiker' site though will make you feel slighted for even thinking of hammocking.

A-Train
03-24-2004, 01:15
Crash and Flyfisher thanx for the info. The "other hiker site" has kicked me off without warning or notice mysteriously. I found out by not being able to log on. When contacting the admin he never bothered to give me the respect answering my email. Nice guy eh? :)

:banana :banana :banana three dancin' bannanas for Whiteblaze and freedom of speech!

Youngblood
03-24-2004, 09:10
Crash and Flyfisher thanx for the info. The "other hiker site" has kicked me off without warning or notice mysteriously. I found out by not being able to log on. When contacting the admin he never bothered to give me the respect answering my email. Nice guy eh? :)

:banana :banana :banana three dancin' bannanas for Whiteblaze and freedom of speech!

That doesn't sound right! On hikinghq.net, your 'pop-up-blocker' may be the problem, try disabling it (That is what I have to do with my Yahoo 'pop-up-blocker'). Sarge, who is a nice guy, is deployed overseas and his wife is doing the best she can to keep his site up & running in his absence.

Youngblood

squirrel bait
03-24-2004, 09:44
Sarge is very knowledged in the art of hammock hanging. Lots of information and tips. I asked all kinds of "stupid" questions and never, never was made to feel foolish on this or that site. Wow, she's keeping the homefires burning for one of OUR fighting men and maintaining his Web site, you go woman.

SALUTE

A-Train
03-24-2004, 11:24
That doesn't sound right! On hikinghq.net, your 'pop-up-blocker' may be the problem, try disabling it (That is what I have to do with my Yahoo 'pop-up-blocker'). Sarge, who is a nice guy, is deployed overseas and his wife is doing the best she can to keep his site up & running in his absence.

Youngblood

Oh my fault. The way he put it in quotes, I figured you were talking about Wingfoots site lol

Crash
03-24-2004, 22:36
Oh my fault. The way he put it in quotes, I figured you were talking about Wingfoots site lol
I did not mean Sgt's site! He's got a great site. He got me to check out White Blaze. The one mentioned in quote above I left and won't look back at ever again. Hammocking has really got me hooked.