PDA

View Full Version : Stores/Mail/Gear Changes

Moeror
10-12-2008, 17:13
Hey there, I'm an AT enthusiast who wants to do a thruhike someday, and i was wondering a few things. Ive read that its good to change your gear with the seasons. I assume this means buying new things or having them shipped. WHat do you do with the old gear? Are there plenty of places to ship it back to where you want? Also what is the business situation like on the trail. Are they fairly abudant? Are they close to trail? Whats about the longest you'd have to go? I think when i do hike it, Ill do a SOBO.

Serial 07
10-12-2008, 17:58
plenty of places to ship back gear...as seasons change, warm gear becomes heavy weights and need to go home or in bounce box shipped forward...lighten the pack, hike becomes easier...biz sitch is like this, there are plenty of towns with food...some you walk thru some you have to hitch to...none crazy far off the trail...

your questions are great, but there is so much info on here already...read my friend, read...

Blissful
10-12-2008, 19:09
The Articles section here on WB is a good place to look.

I used to get some good info too just from reading older online (http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm) editions of data books like the Thru Hiker Companion.