PDA

View Full Version : Why the Colorado Trail?

garbanz
10-12-2008, 20:09
Ok folks Ive done the Long Trail and the JMT. Now for 2009 Im looking for the next adventure and wondering why it should be the Colorado Trail---perhaps a 3 week chunk of it that is challenging, has water, and towns to resupply every 5 days. Looking to do 15+ miles per day, perhaps 20. Any ideas?:D

MOWGLI
10-12-2008, 20:30
Send a PM to Mags. Visit his website. Great info there.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the time I've spent on the CT. But that only accounts for 60 miles. Those 60 miles were beautiful.

Bearpaw
10-12-2008, 20:38
Any ideas?:D

Hike the southernmost 200 miles from Salida to Durango. You'll need to carry a bit of extra food heading out of Salida, but at 15+ miles a day, you'll get to the 2-mile side trail to the Creede access road in 6 days.

You can resupply in Creede and Silverton with ease. The section includes numerous miles of the Continental Divide Trail. You'll pass the only shelter on the CT, a remarkably level easy open walk through a major basin, MANY miles above timberline, the CT Friends' Yurt, the stunning desent into Elk Creek Drainage complete with old mine shafts, glacier carved lakes and cliffs reminiscent of Yosemite, or maybe even parts of the Alps.

While the northern sections are nice, they tend to serve mountain bikers and peak baggers moreso than backpackers. But Salida south is a backpackers paradise, and IMO, truly rivals the views of the JMT.

tom_alan
10-12-2008, 20:43
IMHO - 15 to 20 miles a day in the higher elevations may not be doable. I have found that going up some of the inclines we were only able to average about 1 mph (1.5 at the most). Although you will come close to doubling that going down I would plan on 10 to 15 miles a day and consider it a gift if you get between 15 to 20. JMO

Shutterbug
10-12-2008, 22:50
Ok folks Ive done the Long Trail and the JMT. Now for 2009 Im looking for the next adventure and wondering why it should be the Colorado Trail---perhaps a 3 week chunk of it that is challenging, has water, and towns to resupply every 5 days. Looking to do 15+ miles per day, perhaps 20. Any ideas?:D

I have only done the section from Denver to Brekenridge, but it is a great hike. That is the trail where I first learned to backpack.

BookBurner
10-13-2008, 09:31
Why the CT? Because it's drop-dead gorgeous! Do the first 343 miles and you'll have resupplies at Breckenridge (105), Buena Vista (216), and Crede (343). At 20 miles per day, that's almost a full-service resupply every 5 days. And you can plan on plentiful water along the way. The northern portion of the trail is lower in elevation and not as steep as the southern portion. If you felt comfortable banging out 15-20 mpd on the Long Trail, I suspect you'll do the same on the CT. My mileage between the two didn't vary. If anything, once I blew the cobwebs out of my legs, I did longer days on the CT.

MOWGLI
10-13-2008, 09:46
Why the CT? Because it's drop-dead gorgeous!

I saw some of Bookburner's photos from the CT at a presentation at an REI in Atlanta a few years ago. He's not kidding! His images made me want to hike the whole trail - or at least the part in the San Juan Mountains.

Texasgirl
10-13-2008, 09:46
Ditto BookBurner's comments! In triplicate! I've hiked Colorado and done volunteer trail maintenance on the CDT and it is just incredible. The views are beyond description. It's given me a yearning to thruhike Colorado one day.

MOWGLI
10-13-2008, 09:48
Here's a link to Mags' webpage;

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/coloradotrail_info.html

Mags
10-14-2008, 15:56
IMHO - 15 to 20 miles a day in the higher elevations may not be doable.

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/ct_calories_mpd.html

:)

15 a day is very doable on the CT imo. Closer to 20, esp if coming from sea level may be slightly harder if you have a traditional pack weight and/or not in the best shape to start.

I'll also add that I found the northern section of the LT to be, mile for mile, more physically difficult than any of the mileage I've done on the other trails!

The CT is a nice little gem of a trail. IMO, once you are in the Lost Creek Wilderness area is where the trail really starts to shine.

You may want to check out the end to enders guide I threw together. I see Mowgli put up the link as I was typing this sentence. :D

garbanz
10-14-2008, 21:47
By what everyone here has told me I can see now a chunk of the CT would be a great followup to the scrambling LT and the raw postcard beauty of the JMT over 7 passes getting to Whitney. Getting a trail map and looking at gain/loss will help me estimate the number of hiking days between potential resupply towns. This will be a big factor on which section of the trail I choose to hike since the one thing about backpacking I try to avoid is carrying more than 5 days food. Going light weight might mean smaller meals the last 2 days before resupply. Will stay tuned to this CT forum to learn more!

taildragger
10-14-2008, 23:08
Why not the CDT (it is my understanding that the CDT takes the higher route and has the better view)

garbanz
10-15-2008, 07:14
I will consider it after I get a good look at a map. Also I will be looking at where they run together like Bearpaw has suggested. I dont have to climb the highest mountains but can climb a few if they're on the section of trail that makes for a backpacking trip that has unspoiled scenery, water and resupply towns. I have a telescopic fishing pole if catching trout up there were an option. Also Im updating my gear this winter for a lighter packweight.

MOWGLI
10-15-2008, 12:31
Why not the CDT (it is my understanding that the CDT takes the higher route and has the better view)

Part of the CT is concurrent with the CDT. I think something like 200 miles. The portion I walked in 2005 with my daughter (I-70 south to Twin lakes) was both the CT and the CDT for the entire 60+ miles.

Mags
10-15-2008, 14:49

In some places, yes. But a good chunk of the CT (~200 miles) is the CDT.

Why the CT over the CDT?

After doing the CDT, I can say there is extreme pleasure in following a well marked and maintained trail.

The CDT was perhaps the most rewarding trail I've ever done. Remote, raw and wild. But also mentally exhausting at times.

Sometimes you just want to walk, look at the scenery and not have to make major navigational decisions. Let the mind go on auto pilot (I still suggest bringing maps to do the CT though, esp if you want to take side trips (14ers) and/or alternate routes)

The CT takes in some of the highlights of the CDT, but without the constant navigation issues.

In short, the CT is a great long-vacation hike. The CDT was a wonderful journey.

Both trails have their niches and joys.

Frankly, I am glad I did both. :)

backpackingdiggity
10-31-2008, 16:28
Bearpaw got it right... Do the chunk between Highway 50 and Durango. Although the Cochetopa Hills are a bit dry and monotonous, La Garita Wilderness, Weminuche Wilderness, and Indian Ridge are amazing.