PDA

View Full Version : Advice on gear/thru-hiking

Fenway7
10-12-2008, 22:44
I am planning on hiking the NOBO in 2011 after I graduate from college, but am planning everything out now. I feel there is so much information to sort out that I will never be ready! The things I am wondering about right now and packs and sleeping bags. Any suggestions? I am 5'6'', 130 lbs. Also, what is the shower situation like on the trail? I am not really worried about it, just a question I have had on my mind. Thanks for the advice!

Marta
10-13-2008, 07:08
Wecome to Whiteblaze!

Have you checked out the Articles on Whiteblaze? Here's a link to the one of acquiring gear at a reasonable cost:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=206678#post206678

How much backpacking have you done? How many backpackers do you know? My main recommendation for preparing for a thru-hike is to do as much backpacking between now and then as possible. If you don't have any gear, though, I recommend holding off buying any until you have the means and opportunity to make relatively informed choices. (Which is what you're doing by posting here, of course.)

First, set your budget. About half of it should probably go towards your sleeping bag. Most of the rest will go towards the tent and pack. Clothing and other items can be gotten cheaply over time.

For example, if you look long and hard, you can probably score a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag used or on sale for somewhere close to $300. A shelter by Tarptent is a good choice. A ULA pack is also a good choice.

It would be really good for you to go to an event where lots of hikers congregate so you can look at their gear and talk to them about it. Trail Days (Damascus, VA) in May is a great place. You can rent gear from REI, or possibly from your college outing club, and take an overnight backpacking trip to someplace where you'll see lots of hikers.

If you are going to ask for backpacking gear as presents from family, be very specific. Just don't ask for a tent, tell them exactly which tent. A lot of specialty long-distance backpacking gear is not sold in major stores (including REI)...you have to order it online. backpackergeartest.com is a good resource for reviews of gear.

Anyway, I could go on and on. Good luck with the search!

Blissful
10-13-2008, 11:19
Get your pack last after all your other gear. Depending on your start, go with at least a 20 degree bag. Down compacts more and weighs less. They are making the outer shells more water resistant also.

Everything else as Marta says - just keep checking White Blaze for articles and threads. And read some trail journals (http://www.trailjournals.com)from those who have done it. Feel free to browse my blog (http://www.blissfulhiking.blogspot.com) as well for how I prepared for my 2007 hike.
Also, may want to try and make The Gathering (http://www.aldha.org/index.htm)next year - several workshops on backpacking and planning an AT thru. I found it a more serious event for planning a hike than Trail Days (which is more about fun and hanging out with buddies, though this is a great place to look at gear with lots of gear gurus set up).

Over Yonder
10-19-2008, 22:52
Great advice from the gals! As for your shower question... you can pretty much find a shower in every town. Hostels usually offer a shower for a price if you choose not to stay. If you are planning a nero and know folks staying in a hotel/motel you will usually find that they will be more than welcome to share their shower. Also some towns have YMCAS or similar locations (waynsboro rings a bell) where you can shower for free. In the warmer months you can always get in a swim to help you get by between showers... EMBRACE YOUR HIKER FUNK:) Hope this helps.

River Runner
10-19-2008, 23:16
Great advice from all so far. I haven't had the good fortune to clear the time to thru hike, but I've done a couple of week long sections. Wearing wool helps a little with the hiker funk, as does taking the time to wash down a bit with a bandana in the evenings before bedtime, but nothing will totally prevent it.

Lurk on lots of forums to check out information on different bags and packs. I suggest buying the highest quality sleeping bag you can afford. I've had great success with even inexpensive packs as long as they fit well, but a cheap bag is just miserable. Also, consider a quilt instead of a bag. I went the bag route at first (starting with a cheap one - big waste of $$$) and then a Western Mountaineering, which I still like fairly well, but by far my favorite sleeping setup is my Nunatak Quilt with insulated clothing.

Try to join some backpacking groups and take some trips. You can usually see a lot of different gear that way. Most of us are always willing to talk and show gear.

Dogwood
10-20-2008, 01:59
I am planning on hiking the NOBO in 2011 after I graduate from college, but am planning everything out now. I feel there is so much information to sort out that I will never be ready! The things I am wondering about right now and packs and sleeping bags. Any suggestions? I am 5'6'', 130 lbs. Also, what is the shower situation like on the trail? I am not really worried about it, just a question I have had on my mind. Thanks for the advice!

Definitely plan, but don't be anxious or impatient. U have more than 2 yrs. before the ship sails. Acquire more info before U set everything in stone. And know, even after U think U have planned everything out, events and situations R going to arise that U didn't plan for and that U change your mind on. Thru-hiking is partly about adventure and being able to adapt. It's about experiencing some of the unknown. U will find out that wondering and wandering R not so bad after all!!!

Bigglesworth
10-20-2008, 12:39

I'd be happy to put you in touch with a fellow female hiker in your area (I see a Maine listing for you) who is your age and hiked a long section of the AT this past year. She'd be a good source of information for you, as she is in college in Maine and is a strong, knowledgable hiker. PM me if you want to contact her.

sandykayak
11-03-2008, 18:17
These videos will help you:

Lighten Up – An Ultralight Makeover www.gossamergear.com (http://www.gossamergear.com/) $5.00
Experienced hiker Jackie Paulson starts the trip with her 41 lb load. Gossamer Gear Glen Van Peski has his ultra-light setup. For the second night, Jackie’s gear is re-distributed (most of it discarded) and she is given lightweight equipment and a GG Mariposa pack.

Lightweight Backpacking Secrets Revealed (Lynne Whelden)
$30 but two hours long.
Includes interviews with several U/L hikers who share their tips. Comedy is added by interviews with traditional hikers setting off from Spring Mountain.
Link to all his videos: http://www.lwgear.com/lwp.html (http://www.lwgear.com/lwp.html)

sandy kramer - miami, fl