PDA

View Full Version : Just finished my Long Trail End-to-End

earlylight
10-13-2008, 10:07
I finished my final section of the LT this weekend, completing the entire trail in 7 section hikes this year, starting on Memorial Day weekend.

This weekend I started at Gulf Rd on the Mass AT, just north of Dalton and hiked the 42 miles up to Rt 9 in Vermont, finishing my last section from the southern terminus to Rt 9 (14 miles). I saved the easiest one for last!

The weather was fantastic this weekend, just past peak foliage, and I could not have asked for a better final trip.

Quoddy ran a shuttle for me from Rt 9 to Dalton on Friday morning. He's been a source of inspiration and advice for me when I was planning my trip and throughout the year. Thanks also to Bobcat for my northern terminus shuttle and all of you that have helped me along the way.

-Philip

CrumbSnatcher
10-13-2008, 10:37
I finished my final section of the LT this weekend, completing the entire trail in 7 section hikes this year, starting on Memorial Day weekend.

This weekend I started at Gulf Rd on the Mass AT, just north of Dalton and hiked the 42 miles up to Rt 9 in Vermont, finishing my last section from the southern terminus to Rt 9 (14 miles). I saved the easiest one for last!

The weather was fantastic this weekend, just past peak foliage, and I could not have asked for a better final trip.

Quoddy ran a shuttle for me from Rt 9 to Dalton on Friday morning. He's been a source of inspiration and advice for me when I was planning my trip and throughout the year. Thanks also to Bobcat for my northern terminus shuttle and all of you that have helped me along the way.

-Philip
congrats on your LT completion,and on having great people around like that!very cool.

Kerosene
10-13-2008, 10:43
Congrats on finishing the LT; I still have fond memories of my thru-hike in '79. So what's next?

Yukon
10-13-2008, 10:46

-Philip

Awesome to hear man, my girlfriend and I have decided after doing our section this weekend (Rt.11/30 to Rt. 9) that we will probably do the LT in sections also instead of thru-hiking it. And I agree, the foliage was gorgeous this weekend, we had three days of absolutely beautiful weather!

emerald
10-13-2008, 16:48
Sometimes it seems like the number of LT enthusiasts here is small and few from Vermont post, but I would like to think those of us who will always have a place for The Long Trail in our hearts make up for it in other ways.

earlylight
10-13-2008, 17:08
Congrats on finishing the LT; I still have fond memories of my thru-hike in '79. So what's next?

I'm not really sure - sort of dreading the question. Maybe I'll finish off my remaining MA, VT and NH sections of the AT and start hiking to Maine. The Mass Mid-state trail, Cohos in NH, the FLT in NY, and the Catamount trails are also candidates.

Landshark
10-13-2008, 18:37
Congratulations! We just finished the LT too! We celebrated at the Canadian border yesterday. We did it in sections, mostly day hikes, over 3 years. Great, isn't it! Congrats again. Landshark

WalkingStick75
10-13-2008, 18:58
Congratulations to Landshark and Earlylight!

SPOON1
10-13-2008, 21:27
Congratulations Landshark and Earlylight! Wish that I could have done it again this year. All the best on your continued hiking.

DuctTape
10-13-2008, 23:17
Congrats! I wouldn't mind being out there right now!

garbanz
10-14-2008, 07:26
Congratulations on your successful LT hike. I wish Id been back on the trail out there last week to enjoy the good weather and foilage!:sun