PDA

View Full Version : Man dies of apparent heart attack on AT in Maryland

dessertrat
10-13-2008, 10:25
I haven't been able to find any other news, but I went on an overnight hike this weekend and came across the ambulance on the trail just after noon on Saturday, between Reno Monument Road and Rocky Run Shelter. I later encountered two southbounders who had been first on the scene, other than the man's companion, and had attempted to revive him by CPR, but to no avail. Neither could the EMT's revive him.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Blissful
10-13-2008, 11:21
That's so sad.

weary
10-13-2008, 11:21
I haven't been able to find any other news, but I went on an overnight hike this weekend and came across the ambulance on the trail just after noon on Saturday, between Reno Monument Road and Rocky Run Shelter. I later encountered two southbounders who had been first on the scene, other than the man's companion, and had attempted to revive him by CPR, but to no avail. Neither could the EMT's revive him.

My condolences to his friends and family.
As age an infirmities build up, I can't think of a better way to go than hiking with friends on a trail, preferably near a road so they don't have to carry my remains too far. Ideally they should just scoot me off into the bushes so whatever nutrients are left could be recycled. But society hasn't evolved to be that wise, as yet.

Weary

Rain Man
10-13-2008, 13:38
I surely don't mean to sound disagreeable nor disrespectful, but I'm not sure that's a sad way to go,-- hiking the AT. I have certainly seen worse ways to go.

Condolences all the same to his family and friends.

Rain Man

dessertrat
10-13-2008, 13:44
I surely don't mean to sound disagreeable nor disrespectful, but I'm not sure that's a sad way to go,-- hiking the AT. I have certainly seen worse ways to go.

Rain Man

Yes, death is sad for the living, not for the dead.

Footslogger
10-13-2008, 13:53
Well ...having survived what could have been a show stopper of a heart attack this past March myself, I can agree totally that having on the trail would really suck. No good time for a heart attack but thinking back on my thru-hike in 2003 I feel pretty lucky that all I had to deal with was kidney stones.

Condolences to his family ...

'Slogger

River Runner
10-13-2008, 14:15

Rain Man

I rather agree, if it was my time to go I wouldn't mind going out on the AT. But as footslogger pointed out, if faster medical care could have saved your life there would be better places to be than the AT. Sort of a catch 22.

In either event, my condolences for his family on their loss. It must have been especially tough on whoever was with him trying to revive him and get help.

Jim Adams
10-13-2008, 14:45
no catch-22...very few places that I would rather die...there are some, but not many!...has nothing to do with faster medical care.

geek

Footslogger
10-13-2008, 15:16
no catch-22...very few places that I would rather die...there are some, but not many!...has nothing to do with faster medical care.

geek

===================================

In my case it wasn't so much a question of faster care. In fact, it took them 4 hours to get me to the hospital by ambulance because the weather was too bad for lifeflight ... and I'm still paying the price for that in terms of heart muscle wall damage. I was just thinking that, all things considered, I was glad I was with my wife and not hiking somewhere by myself when it hit.

'Slogger

naturewanderer
10-13-2008, 15:59
Just heard the news myself about Jim ..... he was an AT friend, working on completing the rest of the MD sections. I have been out hiking the AT with him in PA and MD a couple of times. I was actually supposed to be out with him doing that section but our schedules the weekend before last, but it didn't work out. He was a good guy and will be missed by all who knew him.

dessertrat
10-13-2008, 20:53
Just heard the news myself about Jim ..... he was an AT friend, working on completing the rest of the MD sections. I have been out hiking the AT with him in PA and MD a couple of times. I was actually supposed to be out with him doing that section but our schedules the weekend before last, but it didn't work out. He was a good guy and will be missed by all who knew him.

Naturewanderer, can you tell us more? I don't know anything about him, but I sure would like to hear.

Chaco Taco
10-13-2008, 21:26
===================================

I was glad I was with my wife and not hiking somewhere by myself when it hit.

'Slogger
We are all glad you were with her.:D

Chaco Taco
10-13-2008, 21:27
Thoughts are with the family and friends

naturewanderer
10-14-2008, 07:11
Naturewanderer, can you tell us more? I don't know anything about him, but I sure would like to hear.

Jim was a great guy .... loved the trail, especially relaxing at the shelters after a long week around a campfire. His favorite is the Allentown Shelter. Since he missed our planned trip a few weeks ago he was anxious to get out on the trail this past weekend. Luckily Pam was able to go with him .... Pam said that in the past he talked about that being on the trail would be a great way "to go", which of course I agree, but the reality of it is especially scarey when I think of what Pam went thru and is going thru.