PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a 2 day backpack trip

ponyVet66
10-13-2008, 15:23
Would like some input from folks on the forum that are more well traveled than I. Here are my critera...

*Need something no more than 3 hours from Charlotte (closer is a +)
*Church youth group of 20 experienced backpackers (can break into 2 groups of 10)
*Need to be able to tent camp at or very near the trailhead on Friday night (don't want to hike too far in the dark)
*Five to 8 miles max on Saturday.
*tent camp on Saturday night
*back to the trailhead by 1 pm on Sunday
*early November timeframe
*prefer loop to out and back but good scenery rules the day

Fairly experienced group, practice LNT x/ group size, not in a hurry, not opposed to shuttle a few drivers for right opportunity but would prefer to avoid. Done partial sections of the AT before.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

mike

Marta
10-13-2008, 15:46
Does it need to be on the AT? There are loads of loop possibilities in the Smokies, though you would have to split the group.

Roots
10-13-2008, 15:49
Would like some input from folks on the forum that are more well traveled than I. Here are my critera...

*Need something no more than 3 hours from Charlotte (closer is a +)
*Church youth group of 20 experienced backpackers (can break into 2 groups of 10)
*Need to be able to tent camp at or very near the trailhead on Friday night (don't want to hike too far in the dark)
*Five to 8 miles max on Saturday.
*tent camp on Saturday night
*back to the trailhead by 1 pm on Sunday
*early November timeframe
*prefer loop to out and back but good scenery rules the day

Fairly experienced group, practice LNT x/ group size, not in a hurry, not opposed to shuttle a few drivers for right opportunity but would prefer to avoid. Done partial sections of the AT before.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

mike

Standing Indian (on the AT) has many possibilities for a loop if connected with some of the other trails of the area.

jbone
10-13-2008, 16:17
I just did an out and back into the Ellicott Wilderness over the weekend and loved it. Could park and camp 1st night @ Burrels Ford campground(primitive, but easy hike down from parking area). Then on Sat, one group go north, and one go south. Lots of places to camp near the river. NB group could take spur towards Walhalla Fish hatchery or follow river up to Ellicott Rock.

ponyVet66
10-14-2008, 08:49
Thanks for the help. No, it doesn't necessarily need to be on the AT but the terrain of a ridge trail is appealing. More important to be within the 3 hour drive of Charlotte. Can't really leave before 5:30-6pm because of people getting off work so that puts us at the trailhead sometime after 9 and by then it is time to find a place to throw up the tent, get some sleep, and look foward to a great day on Saturday.

As far as Indian Gap?
* How far is that from Franklin? travel time by car?
* Which road do you take to get to the trailhead?
* Southbound out and back toward Bly Gap?

As far as other possibilities...
What do you know about the section south of Low Gap / Hwy 421 just inside the Tennessee line?
*It is about 6.5 miles long.
*It looks to have a tent site not far from the parking area.

*Anybody been on this section?
*Water availability?
*What is the trail like? Any good scenery?
*Is camping permitted and are there good spots along the trail for Saturday night?

Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the trail with me. I look forward to reading the responses.

mike

Lone Wolf
10-14-2008, 08:52
Thanks for the help. No, it doesn't necessarily need to be on the AT but the terrain of a ridge trail is appealing. More important to be within the 3 hour drive of Charlotte. Can't really leave before 5:30-6pm because of people getting off work so that puts us at the trailhead sometime after 9 and by then it is time to find a place to throw up the tent, get some sleep, and look foward to a great day on Saturday.

As far as Indian Gap?
* How far is that from Franklin? travel time by car?
* Which road do you take to get to the trailhead?
* Southbound out and back toward Bly Gap?

As far as other possibilities...
What do you know about the section south of Low Gap / Hwy 421 just inside the Tennessee line?
*It is about 6.5 miles long.
*It looks to have a tent site not far from the parking area.

*Anybody been on this section?
*Water availability?
*What is the trail like? Any good scenery?
*Is camping permitted and are there good spots along the trail for Saturday night?

Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the trail with me. I look forward to reading the responses.

mike
come to damascus and hike in this area, specifically the mt rogers/grayson highlands section. less than 3 hours from charlotte

barefoot
10-14-2008, 10:11
I agree with Lonewolf. I live in Charlotte and hike @ Mr Rogers/Grayson Highland frequently with church groups. Park @ Massie Gap, night hike to Wise Shelter, then to Thomas Knob. Great views, ponies, etc. We also like Roan Mountain. Closer to home (CLT) is Wilson Creek. Very pretty area, good water, campsites. It's near Morganton. Drop me a note and we can talk if you want specifics. [email protected]

ponyVet66
10-14-2008, 10:18
We did Mt Rogers last November...a great place..been several times. Started at Massie Gap - Rhodo Gap and spent Sat night off the Pine Mtn Trail. It's definitely our fall back for this year if we don't find something different. What do you suggest back toward Damascus that meets our critera. Somewhat familiar with Damascus as we were up to ride the creeper last summer. Not much knowledge of the backpacking trails though.

Christus Cowboy
10-14-2008, 15:53
Why not try the Ridge Trail in Cumberland Gap National Park?..... I take my teenage boys from church there and it is a really good hike.... Its in Southwest Virginia its a lightly used trail and I believe within the 3 distance you are looking for. If you are interested in more info just pm me.....

littlelaurel59
10-15-2008, 08:38
Shining Rock area, off the BR Parkway above Brevard.

You can park at the Graveyard Fields overlook (near mile 418, I think). A short half mile down the hill for first night. LOTS of possibilities from there with some of the best scenery in the southeast- numerous peaks over 6000'.

Get the Nat Geo map from an outfitter and pick a trail.

GBlaylock
10-16-2008, 14:46
Why not try the Ridge Trail in Cumberland Gap National Park?..... I take my teenage boys from church there and it is a really good hike.... Its in Southwest Virginia its a lightly used trail and I believe within the 3 distance you are looking for. If you are interested in more info just pm me.....

Good hike. Sand Cave and White Rocks are not to be missed.

chip2407
10-16-2008, 15:17
Try the Foothills Trail in Western South Carolina. www.foothillstrail.org