PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak

Montana Mac
10-13-2008, 17:05
Has anyone used Amtrak to get Gainesvile, GA? If so I would appreciate input on the following questions:

1. Overall how was the service?

2. Were they strict on carry-on measurements?

3. Did you carry on fuel canisters? Their web page says not allowed - the lady on the phone said no problem as long as they were in my pack as carry-on.

4. Did you carry-on or check your pack?

5. Did you upgrade to a "bedroom" and if so was it worth it? My final leg from DC is about a 12 hour nighttime trip.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

buff_jeff
10-13-2008, 18:10
I can't answer for the service to Gainesville, but I did take Amtrak from Pittsburgh to Harpers Ferry and I had a knife and 2 fuel canisters in my pack and nobody said anything. I just brought my pack on and left it in the little storage area they had.

KG4FAM
10-13-2008, 18:23
I used Amtrak going to and from Boston on the way to New Hampshire this summer and enjoy it.

1. Service depends on seating. Coach they pretty much leave you alone and it is like a bus trip but way more comfortable. First Class/Sleeper is nice, they even make your bed for you.

2. You can carry on pretty much anything. A lot of stations don't have baggage service so you cant check bags for those stations.

3. Their policy states against it, but I don't think they care. They have never searched my bags.

4. Carry on

5. I have always traveled coach until this last time when I had to upgrade because they were out of coach seats. The way gas prices are these days coach is usually full on the Crescent so it is worth the money for the extra room and privacy. I really enjoyed the sleeper and definitely got a better nights sleep than trying to sleep in coach. You also get access to Club Acela in the station and your meals on the dining car are included.

Marta
10-13-2008, 18:38
I took AmTrak from Charlotte to East Glacier, Montana, and back this summer.

1) They did not search my bags at all.

2) I would carry on everything.

3) Do not count on them being on time. They are often late, including running so late that you miss connections. I spent an extra day in Chicago on my way home. AmTrak paid for a nice hotel room and my meals, though.

4) I traveled coach. Not only are the sleepers more comfortable, but I believe the price includes dining car meals. Sleeper passengers are given first crack at everything, including seats in the dining car.

Forrest Phil
10-13-2008, 19:31
I went from DC to Gainsville in 99 and 01 via the Crescent.

1. It was a little late the first time and several hours the second time. I have always found the conductors friendly and helpful.

2. They were not strict back then on carry on size.

3. I carried white gas in my fuel bottle and was never bothered.

4. I never check my pack.

5. I took coach and it was jam packed and the other folks were loud and active. Based on 33whiskey's experience I will try for a sleeper next time I head down to Gainsville.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
10-14-2008, 07:25
Has anyone used Amtrak to get Gainesvile, GA? If so I would appreciate input on the following questions:

3. Did you carry on fuel canisters? Their web page says not allowed - the lady on the phone said no problem as long as they were in my pack as carry-on.

5. Did you upgrade to a "bedroom" and if so was it worth it? My final leg from DC is about a 12 hour nighttime trip..

I use Amtrak quite a bit and I've always found it to be very clean,. comfortable and convenient,.
The problem with carry-ons is practically non-existent,. They've never bothered me about anything,. whether it was luggage or a loaded backpack,. I usually check my luggage,. except for the "small" bag I carry with my items for the trip,. I never check my backpack,. however,. as I can usually put it into an overhead,. The fuel cannisters are packed inside it,. and I never bring up the question while boarding,.
The question of an upgrade to a "bedroom" depends on how much you want to spend for a small compartment for an overnight trip,. You'll be sleeping on a somewhat comfortable,. reclining seat otherwise,. and if you think of the conditions under which you'll sleep on the trail,. that seat will seem a luxury,. If you want to upgrade,. however,. don't do it at the same time you purchase your train ticket! Wait until you board the train,. and then as soon as possible speak with a conductor about purchasing an upgrade,. If one is available,. the price is usually about half that of the ticket booth for the upgrade,. Remember that the price usually includes your meals,. so it softens the impact a bit,.

Lone Wolf
10-14-2008, 07:33

5. Did you upgrade to a "bedroom" and if so was it worth it? My final leg from DC is about a 12 hour nighttime trip.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

i've taken Amtrak from R.I. to Ga. about 10 times. had a ball. i always got a sleeper

Peaks
10-14-2008, 07:54
I went from DC to Gainsville in 99 and 01 via the Crescent.

1. It was a little late the first time and several hours the second time. I have always found the conductors friendly and helpful.

2. They were not strict back then on carry on size.

3. I carried white gas in my fuel bottle and was never bothered.

4. I never check my pack.

5. I took coach and it was jam packed and the other folks were loud and active. Based on 33whiskey's experience I will try for a sleeper next time I head down to Gainsville.

I took coach from Boston to Gainsville in May 2002. My experience was similar to the above. As I recall, the train arrived on time. It was not overly crowded. About the only problem I had was trying to sleep in the seat. I'd probably send the money for a sleeper next time.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-14-2008, 08:51
Compared with the absolute crap you have to eat with a smile to fly on a domestic commercial route Amtrack is like being a Vanderbilt in 1900. The trains run late but so does everything else, the big difference is the lack of hassles and suspicion. Long trips and sleeper cars are a wonderful mix, just make sure you tip for service and ask questions. Most train folks truly love the job.

Red Wolf
10-14-2008, 08:53
I took Amtrak from Savannah to Rutland, VT last August for the Long Trail Festival ;
the excursion was a BLAST ! ! ! Changed trains in NY and caught the Ethan Allen
up the Hudson River Valley to Rutland ---really sweet along the river ! Count on
carry-on . --RW..robert.

jbone
10-14-2008, 08:53
Can't say much for the train except I see it roll thru town regularly(I work about 2 min from the station) With that said there is a great little place right across the street call the Big Bear Restaurant that serves good country cooking and excellent breakfasts.

Have always wanted to take the train but never got around to it.

Gaiter
10-14-2008, 14:49
i took amtrak to nyc before starting my last section, i put my raincover on since i had my boots and leki's attached to the back of my pack, but my raincover was damaged in a few spots when i arrived

rafe
10-14-2008, 14:53
I've taken Amtrak on short rides (Boston to/from New York City) several times. En-route to last year's hike, the pack was carry-on, and it was not inspected. I had a fuel canister with me, no big deal. It's a pleasant ride -- especially the Acela train, which is in fact faster than driving the same distance.

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2008, 15:05
Quick answer to your questions and a few other comments, ideas:

*Service was always professional and polite. Station and train staff were
always friendly, helpful, happy to answer questions, etc.

*Carry-on your pack if possible; it'll be easier to deal with at journey's end,
and decreases yourchances of a damaged or lost backpack. Only check it if
they MAKE you, and they'll likely do this only with oversized packs.

*Fuel cannisters shouldn't be a problem, liquid fuel almost certainly would be.

*Most people manage to sleep in their sits, you probably won't need to pay
for a sleeper cabin.

Other things:

*If there's anything on the OUTSIDE of your pack, like poles, shoes, sleeping
pads, etc. make sure they're secured REALLY well, especially if the pack is
checked.

*If you put your pack above your head, do a really good idiot check when
you change trains or finish your trip as it's easy to forget stuff.

*Food in the dining car is fairly unexciting and a bit pricey. I never get
anything there but coffee. Instead, bring some sandwhiches and your own
drinks, like bottled water or Gatorade.

*Have your headlamp handy in case you want to read after dark and your
personal overhead light doesn't work.

*Make sure you pick a seat that's facing the right direction. Picking a chair
that has you going "backwards" the whole trip can be annoying to some
folks.

*If you plan to listen to music, bring fresh batteries and make sure your
headphones are in good hape.

*Bring plenty to read.

*Have a fleece loose, it'll be useful as a pillow.

*Be careful in the bathrooms. I know someone who came REALLY close to
losing their eyeglasses down the toilet. :eek:

Have a great trip.

Montana Mac
10-14-2008, 17:59
Thanks to all for your input - made my reservation today. One more step in getting closer to Springer:sun

Mrs Baggins
10-14-2008, 18:29
We took it from DC to Gainesville Mar 2007. Hideous. Longest night of my life. We wanted to sleep - no one else did. One lady next to us had a cell phone that rang about every 10 minutes the entire night and she spoke in very loud Spanish every time she answered. Then there was the group of geezers somewhere near the front of our car that had a portable DVD player and every single episode of "I Dream of Jeannie" - and they apparently thought it was the funniest show they'd ever seen. I wanted to smack their heads against a wall. We had no problems with our packs. No one looked at them and we kept them in the rack above our seats. Just as a side.....that was not our first Amtrak trip. We had taken it from Davis CA to Washington State in 1981 - - the snack car ran out of food, the dining car was backed way up after a cook slit his wrists and had to be taken off the train, the food we finally were served was ice cold (pancakes and eggs), the train was hours late getting in and it was extremely uncomfortable. If you can avoid the train ride, by all means find another way.

Lone Wolf
10-14-2008, 20:04
We took it from DC to Gainesville Mar 2007. Hideous. Longest night of my life. We wanted to sleep - no one else did. One lady next to us had a cell phone that rang about every 10 minutes the entire night and she spoke in very loud Spanish every time she answered. Then there was the group of geezers somewhere near the front of our car that had a portable DVD player and every single episode of "I Dream of Jeannie" - and they apparently thought it was the funniest show they'd ever seen. I wanted to smack their heads against a wall. We had no problems with our packs. No one looked at them and we kept them in the rack above our seats. Just as a side.....that was not our first Amtrak trip. We had taken it from Davis CA to Washington State in 1981 - - the snack car ran out of food, the dining car was backed way up after a cook slit his wrists and had to be taken off the train, the food we finally were served was ice cold (pancakes and eggs), the train was hours late getting in and it was extremely uncomfortable. If you can avoid the train ride, by all means find another way.
1 out of 16. i bet you stay in shelters

take-a-knee
10-14-2008, 20:59

Next time pinch an Ambien off of someone or get a script. Failure to plan, if you aren't a heavy sleeper you should have gotten a berth... failure to plan.

Keegan
10-15-2008, 00:09
Hello Montana Mac,

I used to take Amtrak (Texas Eagle) from San Antonio to Chicago then catch the Lake Shore Limited over to upstate NY to get home and loved it, what a great way to travel !

The Eagle had two easy chairs that recline @ night to form your bed, a small sink, a tiny closet for your bag. The upper bunk also folds down for a bed. So you could sleep up there if you wanted to keep the lower area open. Bathrooms right down the corridor. Shower on lower level, nothing like keeping your balance in a teeny shower stall while they're hauling butt throught the flatlands :D

The Lake Shore Limited's room was alot smaller, bed came down from the wall like a murphy bed, also had a fold up toilet / sink deal right in your compartment..sounds odd but it was pretty neat.

I would think there would be plenty of room for a backpack in either set-up. If you book just a seat, there is room above your seat and also big compartments where they store your luggage, bet if you told the porter your backpack is essential for you to hike for 6 months, they'll be glad to take extra care of it, train people are just different kind of folk :)

Everyone I met who worked the trains were great, they seem to enjoy answering your questions..the older guys that worked the lower level club cars just loved to talk and knew everything there was to know about the rail and the history, you'll not have any boredom if you're a good listener :)

Yes, they do run late, but not always, at least for me. I've never missed my connection in Chicago, although my luggage did once..in '93..it was delivered to my home in upstate NY the following day.

I've "ridden the rails" through the Great Flood of '93, and the Blizzard of '96 and survived ;) I think you'll have a great time, just sit back and enjoy the scenery and just see if you can keep the song "City of New Orleans" from NOT running through your head :)

gohawks
10-15-2008, 08:26
What train do you all take where the staff is polite?? Don't get me wrong I love the Amtrak as a change up, but I would never classify the service as polite. In general I find them to be grumpy and short. But you don't have to deal with them much so no worries.

KG4FAM
10-15-2008, 08:41
What train do you all take where the staff is polite?? Don't get me wrong I love the Amtrak as a change up, but I would never classify the service as polite. In general I find them to be grumpy and short. But you don't have to deal with them much so no worries.Before gas prices went up and the trains were practically empty car attendents in coach treated us like first class. They would even stop for a short conversation, but now there are so many people they cant do it.

Hoop Time
10-15-2008, 09:43
Love riding the rails. Easily the most civilized form of motorized transit.

Only drawback is they don't go to nearly enough places. Would be nice to see rail travel enjoy a renaissance as we seek solutions to the oil/carbon problem.

Blue Jay
10-15-2008, 12:45

This is one of THE most hysterical posts I've ever read. Thankyouthankyouthankyou, I needed that.:banana

weary
10-15-2008, 15:59
I've taken AMTRAK several times between Boston and North Carolina, where my inlaws used to live. Other than the change in Washington, DC, it's always been a pleasant trip. I didn't use a sleeper and managed to get some sleep, regardless.

A year ago, my wife and I took AMTRAK though the mountains from Seattle to Wisconsin. We had gone to Alaska enroute to her 50th high school graduation reunion in Manitowoc, WI. Yeah. Alaska was a bit out of the way, but it was a great six weeks.

We used sleepers on that AMTRAK trip, but forgot to rent a cabin on the ferry from Alaska to Washington State, so I had to sleep in a lounge seat on deck.

If I ever go south again, I'll probably user a sleeper.

Weary

Red Wolf
10-16-2008, 15:16
Montana Mac ---have you considered the fact that Gainseville, GA is a good ways from
the approach trail to Springer and that you WILL NEED some sort of shuttle,unless
you make a long hitch ? If you need a ride , perhaps ,contact Laurie Potteiger at ATC
Headquartrs, Harperferry----I'm sure she can supply advice there.
Happy Trails ! --RW..robert.

KG4FAM
10-16-2008, 15:34
Montana Mac ---have you considered the fact that Gainseville, GA is a good ways from
the approach trail to Springer and that you WILL NEED some sort of shuttle,unless
you make a long hitch ? If you need a ride , perhaps ,contact Laurie Potteiger at ATC
Headquartrs, Harperferry----I'm sure she can supply advice there.
Happy Trails ! --RW..robert.hikerhostel.com (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/hikerhostel.com)

The Saints take care of everything you need and are hikers themselves so they can give good advice about the trail.

I stayed with them this spring and was very impressed.

clong
10-22-2008, 14:24
Anyone ever go Cincinnati to Gainesville? Its looking like a coach fare is about $160, does that sound about right? if so how much should I plan on spending to get a shuttle from Gainesville to the trail? also... I'm assuming that Gainesville is the closest station the to the trail

Lone Wolf
10-22-2008, 14:31
Anyone ever go Cincinnati to Gainesville? Its looking like a coach fare is about $160, does that sound about right? if so how much should I plan on spending to get a shuttle from Gainesville to the trail? also... I'm assuming that Gainesville is the closest station the to the trail

sounds about right. yes gainesville is the closest station to the trail. here's your shuttle... http://www.hikerhostel.com/prices.php

Montana Mac
10-22-2008, 16:37
if so how much should I plan on spending to get a shuttle from Gainesville to the trail? also... I'm assuming that Gainesville is the closest station the to the trail
Greetings Clong

I just made my arrangements with Hiker Hostel. They are picking me up in Gainesville at the Amtrak station, spending a night at the hostel and then getting dropped at the trail.

Log onto to their web and you can make your reservation, etc and check their "thru hiker special". Leigh just confirmed my reservation this morning so she is working on 09 reservations.

horicon
10-24-2008, 13:42
I had no problem using Amtrack from Rhincliff, NY to Hapers Ferry, WV.