PDA

View Full Version : Wood Stove thru Hike

SunnyWalker
10-13-2008, 18:26
Is there anyone on WB who has actually thru hiked the entire AT using a wood burning stove? If so please tell me how it went and your experience. Please tell me which model of stove you used. Thanks. :banana

cowboy nichols
10-13-2008, 18:31
I use a Siarra and love it, havn't hiked the whole A T but many other miles on other trails. Also great when the power fails.

rafe
10-13-2008, 18:50
I've walked maybe 200-300 miles of AT with a Zip Stove. It gets messy and tedious after a while. But at least you won't worry about stocking up on alcohol or white gas in town. A zip stove takes a fair amount of attention; gathering wood, starting the stove, feeding the stove as you're cooking with it, cooling it down, packing it all up so the rest of your gear doesn't get sooty. If you're a thru-hiker intent on making a lot of miles, you may find you have better things to do at camp. If you're more of a "camper" than a hiker, it makes some sense.

weary
10-13-2008, 21:30
Is there anyone on WB who has actually thru hiked the entire AT using a wood burning stove? If so please tell me how it went and your experience. Please tell me which model of stove you used. Thanks. :banana
I used the Sierra Zip Stove exclusively during my six month, three day walk in 1993. I started on Springer and ended on Katahdin, though by ATC standards it was not qujite a thru hike. And I've used it before and since on hundreds of additional backpacking trips.

Mine was one of the early versions that had an inadequate on/off switch. But I would use it again -- and have many times.

I found it a lot simpler than worrying about running out of white gas. Wood for fuel was never a problemI just picked up potentially useful wood as I walked along each day. Breaking off an occasional dry branch. picking up sticks broken by hiker boots.

On rainy days, I usually found enough sticks stored under the shelters, or enough scrap paper to light even wet wood.

Once the stove got going well, it would burn wet wood as well as dry and I just picked up stubs left in fire places.

I think the Zip is an ideal long distance backpacking stove -- especially if you are going to do more than boil water. I was on a fairly tight budget, so I used very few expensive convenience foods. I cooked real rice, real pasta, real pancakes, real oat meal and the like.

Weary

fiddlehead
10-13-2008, 21:43
I carried a zip stove for years including my '89-'91 thru-hike and carried it around the world and cooked in Ireland, (burned peat), Scotland, as well as the Himalayas and lots in Thailand and Australia.
Loved the stove until the lighweight butane stoves started coming out. they are much simpler especially if you like morning coffee. Sometimes it just didn't seem to justify the time to fire up the zip for a simple cup of coffee but no problem with the pocket rocket.

Just keep your cooking pot in a plastic bag. The AT isn't the driest trail for finding good wood but there's lots of wet wood. You get good at building (starting) fires in a hurry and I learned to look for hollow trees and using charcoal from an old firepit. I did carry some lightweight firestarter that i bought from the zip stove company (sierra stoves) that they don't sell any more. (at least not the good stuff they used to) But often didn't need it. Lots of threads on here on how to make your own although i don't know how safe it would be to mail some of them.

I made a lot of friends in my travels by having unlimited hot water for whoever wanted it. (when the AT was less crowded) When i had a bungalow on the beach in thailand, back in '93, folks would bring wood, coffee, tea, cakes, cookies, and everything to share with me and all i had to do was keep the battery charged and have one of those 10 litre waterbags that REI used to sell handy to make all they wanted. Good fun and great memories.
I would consider the zip again on the right trail. (not the AT though, too many people complaining about smoke and too much rain and humid air) I would definitely use it on the PCT again and I'd have to think about the CDT (maybe not if i could still ship butane)

I did find that in the Himalayas, it didn't burn so well above 12,000' But neither did our international whisper-lite (dirty fuel probably) We had some problems there once the kerosene stove that the sherpas brought along clogged up on us. (eventually came across an old man hiking the trails who specialized in fixing them and had some really cool tools) anyway, that's another story.

Have fun with the zip if you use it. Great stove.

SunnyWalker
10-14-2008, 21:13
Thanks for the reply. I am interested in one part of your comment. Was there really a lot of complaining from others about the smoke? Is this really a valid reason not to use it in your judgment? I mean, it is a free world. I am sure others would be doing stuff I do not like. By the way I am planning on a Southbound hike. Less folk. I sure would like to hear from you again. Also, have you had experience with any other wood stoves? -SunnyWalker:sun

SunnyWalker
10-14-2008, 21:14
This is very good reading. Thanks folks. Keep it coming. Looks like some practice time with the stove would be well spent.

rafe
10-14-2008, 21:28
One minor issue with a Zip stove is that there are places where, because of its nature, it can't be used. The example I'm thinking of is the porch of Dan Quinn's barn on Rte. 12 in Vermont. Almost any other stove would have been fine... but a Zip stove, not so much. And since it's not a "woods" setting, gathering fuel is tricky also. In general, it's going to be harder to maintain "stealth" with a Zip stove than most other types.

take-a-knee
10-14-2008, 21:35
If you are serious about this get a Bushbuddy Ultra, nothing else compares.

fiddlehead
10-14-2008, 22:20
Was there really a lot of complaining from others about the smoke? Is this really a valid reason not to use it in your judgment? I mean, it is a free world. I am sure others would be doing stuff I do not like. By the way I am planning on a Southbound hike. Less folk. I sure would like to hear from you again. Also, have you had experience with any other wood stoves? -SunnyWalker:sun

No, i wouldn't let their complaining stop me. I didn't back then and i wouldn't now.
Seems like a lot more complaining on the trail now than back 15 years ago. (at least according to this forum)

I have not used any other wood stoves although when i hiked in '77 (Springer to Del. water gap) my Svea stove blew up (somewhere in VA) and i had to rely on strictly fires for every cooked meal. I guess that's when i got good at starting fires in the rain.

Also for a SOBO'er it sill be much less of a problem also (the complaining)

You know, here in Thailand, my wife cooks about half of our meals on our small charcoal grill. She uses a small piece of inner tube to start her fires. Now THAT might bring more complaints on the AT.

weary
10-14-2008, 22:49
No one complained to me about the smoke in 1993. A lot of folks seemed to like my offers of a cup of boiling water for coffee and such. I tried to cook away from the shelters.

But most even ignored the smoke when I used a shelter floor for perching my Zip, while I cooked pancakes for folks inside, something that people relying on cannisters and white gas never seemed to have enough fuel to share.

On an occasional buggy night, some even welcomed a bit of smoke to keep the mosquitoes away.

Bob S
10-14-2008, 23:41
Practice with a wood stove is a good idea before you take it out. Wood stoves have a time lag for controlling the heat, they are not like a normal stove you just turn up and down to adjust the flame. You have to add or not add fuel before you actually want the desired results.

Not a hard thing to do, but it’s nice to have some practice with it.

If you are serious about this get a Bushbuddy Ultra, nothing else compares.

I think there are a lot of good stove out there that will fill the need. I happen to like my homemade gasifier, It works great. I never used a Bushbuddy, I’m sure it’s a good stove, but I have really come to like the forced air stove.

mkmangold
10-15-2008, 01:24
After years of using the Zip Stove I bought the Woodgas Stove: http://www.woodgas-stove.com/?gclid=CJC88uOY8JECFSK9FQodIltmwQ

Before each trip, I get one of those artificial fireplace logs at Menards, chop it into pieces that can fit in the WoodGas stove, and package into ziploc bags. Not only makes great firestarter, but can serve as the sole source of fuel when it is raining.

drastic_quench
10-15-2008, 03:55
I plan on taking my Stratus Trailstove on my thru. I like it for its simplicity and total lack of moving parts.

SunnyWalker
10-16-2008, 21:45
Thanks again to everyone. Would still like to read more comments on this. A few comments: I always try to be courteous to other hikers. Would not intentionally bother them with my smoke. I am going to see if the Stratus can work for me. Will try others if not. I want to hike Southbound so I have time to camp also. I do not sacrifice the camping for the hiker. I also see myself as not as frequent into towns as others might. These are just ideas and I have made comments about this and asked questions about this before. The wood stove lends itself to my goals of camping as I hike. -SunnyWalker

SunnyWalker
10-16-2008, 21:52
I plan on always (as before) being courteous to other hikers. If the Stratus does not work for me I wil consider a Zip or Bushbuddy. But I like the idea and simplicity of the Stratus. The comments about "lag time" and gathering wood and all are not a bother to me. I sure would like to read more comments so please keep them coming. Please tell me about your thru hike experiences using a wood stove. And thanks fiddlehead, your comments are inspiring as to using a wood stove.

BOWSINGER
10-17-2008, 15:20
Joe Valesko of Zpacks did a PCT thru-hike in 2007 using two different wood stoves for all his cooking with “an occasional Esbit tablet as a backup on rainy days”. His first stove weighed .3 oz and his heavy-duty stove weighed 1.1 oz. Both were free and simple to make.

For information and some decent pictures go to www.zpacks.com (http://www.zpacks.com/) and then to their cooking gear page. Also there is some more details and pictures on using the wood stoves setups on the “About” page and on the gear list page under the Pacific Crest thru-hike. I picked up an 11ounce can of coffee and as soon as it was empty, I cut it down to make one of his wood stoves.

I have a Zip stove but prefer to use a much cheaper and lighter hobo tin can stove and Joe’s looks like a winner.

Bob S
10-17-2008, 19:11
Take a good quality pencil sharpener, you can use it to trim wood sticks (even when wet, you can get to the dry wood in inside) down to make a good sized pile of starting wood in no time. Also a knife to split wood for dry wood that’s wet on the outside but dry inside.

Have a good quality, heavy duty Zip-Lock type of bag to use to pick up and keep wood fuel dry as you walk.

I would also have some good waterproof fire starters to use for days when wood is damp and not as willing to jump into a flame.

For this I use these homemade fire starters (pictured below the stove) they are very easy to make and work great.

weary
10-17-2008, 21:49
I've never brought a fire starter to the trail. I can usually find what I need in or under the shelters on the rare occasions that special fire starters are needed.

I do pick up scraps of fallen birch bark I find near the trail, though in 1993 I didn't find any birch trees or their leavings until I reached the northern border of Georgia.

Weary.

SunnyWalker
10-18-2008, 20:48
Bowsinger, BobS, and Weary-thanks for the comments. I will experiement with the pencil sharpener. But do not think it would be something I would want to bring and keep track of. But will look at them, different ones and try them out. Fire starter-I'' be carrying some Esbit tabs as a backup in wet weather or whatever. Hey, this is really good. Thanks fellows. Oh, Bowsinger-I don't know if I would make a stove as I already have a real good one, the Stratus. It has no moving parts, cool.

sirbingo
10-20-2008, 12:32
I love my Sierra Zip. I used it exclusively this summer...I never had a problem finding wood or getting it lit. Its the fan that makes it fool proof....for me anyway. :)

weary
10-20-2008, 12:35
I love my Sierra Zip. I used it exclusively this summer...I never had a problem finding wood or getting it lit. Its the fan that makes it fool proof....for me anyway. :)
And for me!

rafe
10-20-2008, 15:11
[re: Sierra Zip]

I never had a problem finding wood or getting it lit.

I concur. Gathering fuel and starting the stove may be a PITA, but there was never any doubt about the eventual outcome. Birch bark works wonders.

Bob S
10-20-2008, 16:49
I like my homemade copy of the Woodgas stove (a lot like a Zip stove) I may have a different opinion of it if I had to use it every day for months. I suspect that after a few months an alcohol stove would be very welcome.

But I don’t camp for months at a time so for me it’s not an issue.

justusryans
10-21-2008, 14:45
While I havn't thru-hiked the whole trail, I have hiked several hundred miles using the sierra zip stove. never had any problems finding fuel and once it's lit it will burn wet wood.
My only problem is it tends to be a little "tippy". I havn't actually spilled anything yet but I have had a few close calls.
it performs well and if you like to cook elaborate meals on the trail, you're not limited on carrying your fuel.
It is a good idea to carry cotton balls soaked in vaseline or denatured alcohol. personally I use the denatured alcohol soaked ones but either will do.

RichardD
10-21-2008, 15:24
I have the Sierra Zip Titanium and although I have not hiked on the AT I have used it on a through of the Superior Trail and part of the Colorado Trail.
I had a little trouble first day out on the Superior trail as I flew to Minnesota. Airlines do not like firestarters so I took birthday cake candles for starters. The wind was blowing and it was raining and it was too hard for me to start with wet wood.
I bought firestarters at the first opportunity and had no further difficulties. Most of the time I used white bark of which there was an unlimited supply.
The stove burns very hot and once it is going is mostly smokeless so I doubt others would complain about the smoke.
There are places it cannot be used such as above 10000 feet in the Sierras also the Black Hills in SD (other places I have hiked but used the Pocket Rocket).
I like to use a lot of hot water, I usually have a good warm water wash in the evening and the stove really comes into its own. I also brew hot tea at lunch in addition to hot breakfast, coffee and a hot dinner with hot chocolate. I find the extra time over the pocket rocket to be minor.
The smell of burned wood in my pack bothered me until I found a polythene bucket that neatly holds the stove and I use a ziplock for my pot, which of course gets black.
The single AA battery is strong for about a week of my use and it continues to work after a week but the stove becomes less of a furnace.
The unlimited fuel supply enables me to also heat a liter of water as a Nalgene hot water bottle which does wonders for comfort on a cold night. Smaller Bottles filled with hot water do wonders for drying wet boots overnight. All these are comforts I would not consider with a cannister stove.
It is my plan to through hike the AT when I retire (about four years from now) and I plan on using the Zip on the hike, that is unless something better comes along.

Johnny Swank
10-21-2008, 20:36
We split the difference and carry about 4 oz of alcohol and a 1/2 stove, then just cook over an open fire with a quicky tripod setup. I think that's how we're going to roll on the PCT, and unlimited hot H20 is the business.

Johnny Swank
10-21-2008, 20:36
That should be a 1/2 oz stove. ;)

SunnyWalker
10-22-2008, 20:13
Man, I've seen so many positive comments about a Zip stove. It must work real good.

rafe
10-23-2008, 00:58
Man, I've seen so many positive comments about a Zip stove. It must work real good.

If you're willing to put up with it -- the extra weight, while walking, and the extra work, at camp -- it's a great stove.

weary
10-23-2008, 13:26
If you're willing to put up with it -- the extra weight, while walking, and the extra work, at camp -- it's a great stove.
I think the decision really rests with what you choose to eat on the trail. If all you need to do is boil a couple of cups of water, wood is not a particularly light weight choice.

But if you like to cook stuff that requires 20 minutes of heat because it is cheaper than convenience foods -- or tastier -- a zip can be lighter overall, especially if you use it to boil water, thus replacing a water filter.

Also, I found my zip didn't require a great deal of extra work at camp. I just picked up an occasional attractive piece of wood fuel as I walked along, and by camp time, all that was required was a bit of paper or birch bark and a match.

Weary

Johnny Swank
10-23-2008, 13:40
Food selection is one of the reasons we cook mostly on wood now. We typically take a early afternoon (3-ish) extended break, eat dinner, then hike on till dusk. Being able to cook real food (beans, non-instant rice, etc) lowers our food bill and tastes a hell of alot better. It also opens up a wider variety of foods.

That said, I still carry about 3-4 oz of fuel and a basic alky stove for when the weather isn't cooperating, laziness, etc. This is we're likely to roll on the PCT down the road.

SunnyWalker
10-24-2008, 00:09
I must admit that basically I want to use a wood stove cuz of cost factors and no) bother factors in obtaining fuel and carrying it. The weight factor motivates me to try to see if my Stratus Trail Stove will work on a real basis. I have only spot checked it and would like to take it on an extended hike of more than a weekend. After prettymuch deciding to use a ws, i realized that I could cook real rice or instant, and beans and etc., within limits of course, due to weight? For example I still think I would use instant potatos, not REAL potatos, and etc.

JAK
10-24-2008, 00:43
I haven't tried the sierra zip, or any stove with a fan. I can see how the fan might enable a good draft while keeping the center of gravity down, but batteries go against that better part of my nature that compells me to burn bark and and sticks. :)

The Kelly Kettle burns like a banshee, very fast and very efficient. A bit bulky, and only good for boiling water, but an excellent system. Gathering fuel for a Kelly Kettle is usually nothing more than reaching down and grabbing the odd bit of birch bark or spruce sticks you might come across while hiking, and maybe using a candle to save your lighter or matches if its windy and the fuels a but wet. We are only taking about two fistfuls here, one of birch bark, one of spruce sticks, or cedar maybe.

I have played around with small simple hobbo stoves also. Takes alot more skill, and I am still working on it. Probably will forever. Fuel needs to be better and needs a little more time to get going, usually with some trial and error, and it needs to hold about 2 or 3 time the fuel, and more than that if its really cold and windy. With a hobbo stove it is usually simpler to just go a little bit bigger for cold weather than to bother with a wind screen, but insulation for the ground is a good idea in cold wet weather, and is neccessary on snow.

Without a coffee can or whatever, it is possible to get about the same performance using rocks and stuff as with a hobbo stove. It just takes more time to setup, leaves a little more trace, requires more attention fire prevention wise, and is not always possible in winter when everything is either frozen to the ground or under snow, or both. This would then neccessitates a larger fire, and usually requires the use of a small hatchet or saw. Such fires are usually unneccessary, even in winter, unless in an emergency for drying clothes or in response to inadequate clothing and shelter. Even for an emergency it is far better to have a Kelly Kettle or Hobbo Stove to begin with, and to always carry the next fires fuel. Once you have made tea you can make a bigger fire if you really need one than badly.

Sometimes a somewhat larger campfire is a very nice way to spend an evening though, if the group is large enough to justify it, and it is appropriate to the location. It still doesn't have to be freaking huge. Even when alone I will often turn my Kelly Kettle fire or Hobbo Stove into a longer burning campfire, though still a very small one. In winter I might still carry a small hatchet, for emergency fire and shelter, but I have very rarely used it. A large knife will do, but in a real emergency a small hatchet is much quicker. It also serves as a hammer, as I carry a few small nails also. Nails are very handy, and lighter and more versatile in the woods than tent pegs. So in the winter I carry a small hatchet. It adds a pound, but adds a lot of comfort though used very little.

zelph
10-24-2008, 11:55

Over the past two years I've heard nothing but positive things about it, it must be a a great stove. My first choice is wood for cooking.

Our economy needs a boost, buy the sierra Zip and be done with it.;)

oops56
10-24-2008, 12:08
Pot some wood pellets in it one hot fire

2009ThruHiker
10-24-2008, 12:14
one good account of someone who used this during his thru from the Florida Trail through the IAT is the book by Nimblewill Nomad.

SunnyWalker
10-24-2008, 18:07
3009ThuHiker: Thanks!

SunnyWalker
10-24-2008, 18:07
Sorry, I meant, Thanks, 2009ThurHiker (Not 3009)

SunnyWalker
10-24-2008, 18:23
Dear 2009ThruHiker: I went and purchased Nimblewill's book on Amazon.com. Thanks for the recommend.

JAK
10-24-2008, 19:11
Is Nimblewill Nomad also connected to that Nimblewood stove, if I have the name right?
I am pretty critical of stoves and gear of any sort, but I admire anyone that actualy develops and builds something, whether they actually get around to marketing it or not. I am mostly just half baked ideas myself. It's nice to see some folks actually finish a few, whether they actually any good ot not. Even mass produced stuff by big corporations. Most brand name mass produced and mass marketed stuff bugs the crap out of me, but it is important to remember that some of that stuff actually started in some guys basement, or head, and that is always commendable. I don't put a lot of weight on financial marketing success as the be all and end all. I am rather un-American in that way. But I am very big on ideas. America will always be full of alot of wonderful ideas.

sirbingo
10-27-2008, 15:11
That said, I still carry about 3-4 oz of fuel and a basic alky stove for when the weather isn't cooperating, laziness, etc. This is we're likely to roll on the PCT down the road.

That's kinda what I do too....

The Zip is my favorite stove b/c I like to cook and boil lots of water. For example, I like to boil up a ton of water for coffee, tea, hot cocoa, oatmeal, hot water bottles etc... Everyone in my hiking group loves me b/c I serve out almost unlimited cups of Joe....plus I like to cook eggs, melt cheese, cook meat if I have it, make pancakes,...you get the point. However, sometimes like Johnny Swank, I'm just too lazy to cook and I'll whip out my Super Cat and just boil some water.

:p

SunnyWalker
10-29-2008, 19:58
Jak: I just got home from being gone most of the week and Nimblewill's book was waiting for me. It is quite thick. Looks like a good read. I'll let this thread know about any stove I read in the narative. -SunnyWalker

JAK
10-29-2008, 20:28
Thanks. This is the one I was thinking of...
http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm

SunnyWalker
10-29-2008, 21:14
Jak, I was just feeding my grandson and came back for a minute to look. Wow, thanks for the link. I saved it. Well, I'll bet he mentions his stove at some point in the book. BTW, I got it used on Amazon.com

Hoop
10-29-2008, 21:35
JAK, I looked at the Kelly Kettle website. Interesting idea. Any drawbacks or plusses you can share?

SunnyWalker
10-29-2008, 21:42
I don't know Jak, his index does not have anything. I don't know if he gets into equipment at all. We'll see. -SunnyWalker

JAK
10-29-2008, 21:48
From his website it looks like he could be an interesting read.

JAK
10-29-2008, 22:26
JAK, I looked at the Kelly Kettle website. Interesting idea. Any drawbacks or plusses you can share?Sure. Love to.

Drawbacks, none of which are serious limitations.
1. Somewhat heavy at 1.2 pounds
2. Somewhat bulky at 10.5"x5.6".
3. Can't be used to carry water.
4. Can't be cleaned out on the inside.
5. Can only be used for boiling water.
6. Can't be used as a fireplace when empty of water.
7. Not easy to melt snow with unless you have some water to start with.
8. Requires solid biomass fuel like birch bark and sticks to work best.
9. Technically shouldn't be used when open fires are banned.
10. Smokes initially, if that might draw unwanted attention.

Plusses:
1. Very fun to use.
2. Very fast. 750ml of boiling hot water in 6-10 minutes.
3. Very fuel efficient and forgiving of damp fuel. Easy to light.
4. Eliminates need to carry fuel, though should carry fuel for next fire.
5. Provides means of water purification if you prefer hot drinks.
6. Unlimited supply of hot water for drinks, if you prefer hot drinks.
7. Improved sanitation and hygene - hot water for dishes, laundry, shaving, washing.
8. Good way to start a fire for drying clothes, after you make your hot tea.
9. Very clean for packing as the fire is on the inside.
10. There is some room on the inside for storing fuel, firekit, tea, etc.

There are different ways to use it and pack it. I leave the base home now which saves some weight and makes it considerably less awkward to pack. I just set it on the ground or some rocks and dig a little air tunnel if I need to, then just lift it away and keep a little fire going if I want to dry socks or something. Of course you have to be careful where you do this.

For carrying water two 750ml bottles work well. I used to use 1 litre bottles, and leave some water in the bottle as boiling water it too hot for most things, but I am going to try working with smaller aluminum bottles, which can be reheated if frozen, and are better for carrying hot drinks. I need to make insulated cozies for them for winter.

For making soup or oatmeal I usually bring at least a mug and sometimes a larger pot. I would like to eliminate both of these by making my two water carriers basically aluminum or titanium mugs with some sort of waterproof lids. I would make them both the same size, 800ml maybe, with removable neoprene cozies. Then I could use one for a hot drink and the other for hot soup or oatmeal and both for carrying water, or hot drinks and food while hiking. I might still carry a wineskin besides.

Bob S
10-29-2008, 23:01
I have a Thermette, it shares a lot of the same pros & cons.

But it’s big, 5 inches round and 15-inches tall. (3 pounds) But it has a base and a fire ring pot support that allows it to be used as a stove either by itself or on top of the Thermette while boiling water. This is included with it at no extra charge.

It’s also expensive in most people’s mind ($107.00)

It really heats water good, water will shoot out of the top like a volcano when it’s boiling good (about 5 ½ min for ½ gal of water to boil.)

JAK
10-30-2008, 08:07
I understand the thermette is copper also, which might be a plus for some folks.
Heavier, but rather nice looking I think.
http://www.thermette.com/thermette_whycopper.htm

Here is a very interesting list of woodfired kettles of this type:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_kettle

The bit on the russian samovar is quite interesting.
"Further similar designs
The Samovar is a similar design that predates these other kettles. It was used as a household appliance rather than camping gear. It also has a hollow fire tube and water around it which is heated. It is used to make tea."

Somovar article in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samovar
I thought this bit was particularly interesting...
"Afterwards, fuel is added. Instead of charcoal, Russians traditionally use dry pinecones. Cones add a hint of the resin's flavor to the tea. When using charcoal it is important to use unprocessed lump charcoal. Commercial compressed charcoal can burn with such a concentrated heat that it is possible to damage the samovar, especially if the water level falls too low. No matter what fuel is used, it must be ignited. The traditional way is to use pieces of bark from the birch tree or small dry fir tree twigs called pautina (cobweb). In the Soviet era, a popular joke had it that Pravda, the newspaper of the Communist Party, was particularly good for tinder. Paper in general should work. An alternate method is to set the charcoal burning in a fireplace or brazier and transfer the coals to the samovar with tongs."

It would be interesting if there were any more practical shaped Samovars are made for backpacking. I suppose its hard to beat a plain old tin mug and three rocks for practicality.

Bob S
10-30-2008, 19:02
It should be made clear what a Kelly Kettle, Ghillie Kettle, Thermette and Eydon Kettle are. They are made to boil water, they are not stoves. Most of these kettles can also be used as a stove with added parts (that may be included, purchased separately or made) but it’s not something they were originally meant to do so they will not do it as well or with the connivance of a regular stove.

I’m not trying to discourage anyone from buying one of them, but understand what they are (and are not) and what their intended use is. Also none of them are small, they are bulky.

I love the Thermette I have, but it’s not what most would think of as a backpacking item.

JAK
10-30-2008, 19:23
They are hell on wheels for boiling water though.

Bob S
10-30-2008, 22:58
I understand the thermette is copper also, which might be a plus for some folks.
Heavier, but rather nice looking I think.
http://www.thermette.com/thermette_whycopper.htm

Here is a very interesting list of woodfired kettles of this type:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_kettle

The bit on the russian samovar is quite interesting.
"Further similar designs
The Samovar is a similar design that predates these other kettles. It was used as a household appliance rather than camping gear. It also has a hollow fire tube and water around it which is heated. It is used to make tea."

Somovar article in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samovar
I thought this bit was particularly interesting...
"Afterwards, fuel is added. Instead of charcoal, Russians traditionally use dry pinecones. Cones add a hint of the resin's flavor to the tea. When using charcoal it is important to use unprocessed lump charcoal. Commercial compressed charcoal can burn with such a concentrated heat that it is possible to damage the samovar, especially if the water level falls too low. No matter what fuel is used, it must be ignited. The traditional way is to use pieces of bark from the birch tree or small dry fir tree twigs called pautina (cobweb). In the Soviet era, a popular joke had it that Pravda, the newspaper of the Communist Party, was particularly good for tinder. Paper in general should work. An alternate method is to set the charcoal burning in a fireplace or brazier and transfer the coals to the samovar with tongs."

It would be interesting if there were any more practical shaped Samovars are made for backpacking. I suppose its hard to beat a plain old tin mug and three rocks for practicality.

The handles on the Thermette are it’s problem. They are little more then coat hanger wire. Also they are way too close to the body of the Thermette to not get burnt fingers.

I made a new handle and it really made a difference.

I have been ½ way looking for one of the Russian samovars, I don’t really have a need for it, but I just want it to play with.

JAK
10-31-2008, 07:46
I think everyone get their knuckles burned with the Kelly Kettle before learning a certain way of picking it up and carrying it. Also its tempting to put the cork in ever so lightly while its heating, but it will usually still fly off and sputter some boiling water and steam. Also the pressure isn't really good for the bottom seam. I still do it though, meaning to take the cork out a little later. I think the corks main purpose really is as something to tilt the kettle to pour it, and to keep debris from going inside when your transporting it. Anyhow, they are lots of fun, and safe enough once you get the hang of them.

SunnyWalker
11-03-2008, 21:42
Jak: I was on a road trip for the last few days. I am reading Nimbelwills book "Ten Million Steps". sure is enjoyable. I have not come across a review or anything like that of the stove he used or any equipment yet. I am only about a 1/4 way through. Don't see it in the book, though. The book seems to center more on the inner journey. Good buy though. -SunnyWalker

SunnyWalker
01-15-2009, 00:48
Well, the book was so very interesting. It seemed to me more about the inner journey while on the hike. Equipment ratings -well not one for the stove. It was mentioned is all. Positive mention though :-). GREAT BOOK, real inspiring. Wow, what a hiker.

hoz
01-16-2009, 11:44
I made a wood stove for a canoe trip from a coffee can. Punched a some holes in the bottom and about 2" down from the top. Tent stakes go thru the upper holes to hold the pot.

For stoking, a duct can be made from aluminum foil and a $9.00 computer fan from Radio Shack. The fan runs on a 9v battery.

Be sure to bring a dedicated dirty sack to carry it. I made mine from a FedEx tyvek envelope.

I carried small pruning sheers for trimming wood to fit.

On the trip my mates, who were using their Whisperlights and Coleman singles, complained about the smoke but I figured we were camping, weren't we?

So I always tried to set it UPWIND of their position...

SunnyWalker
09-11-2009, 23:09
JAK, have you looked at and or used a WoodGas-Stove.com stove yet?

mkmangold
09-12-2009, 00:40
JAK, have you looked at and or used a WoodGas-Stove.com stove yet?

I love it: http://www.woodgas-stove.com/woodgas-stove/home.php?gclid=CJC88uOY8JECFSK9FQodIltmwQ

mkmangold
09-12-2009, 00:41
And I replaced that pot support at the top with tent stakes without any ill effects.

Stumblefoot
09-15-2009, 10:16
Any comments on the Littlbug stove? Uses wood or alcohol. www.littlbug.com (http://www.littlbug.com)

High Altitude
09-15-2009, 17:06
For those that want to put a face to the name. Here is a video that Andy did of Nimblewill Nomad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpXDPndON6A

brooklynkayak
09-15-2009, 21:22
Take a good quality pencil sharpener, you can use it to trim wood sticks (even when wet, you can get to the dry wood in inside) down to make a good sized pile of starting wood in no time. Also a knife to split wood for dry wood that’s wet on the outside but dry inside.

Have a good quality, heavy duty Zip-Lock type of bag to use to pick up and keep wood fuel dry as you walk.

I would also have some good waterproof fire starters to use for days when wood is damp and not as willing to jump into a flame.

For this I use these homemade fire starters (pictured below the stove) they are very easy to make and work great.

Excellent advice.

Although I do bring an alky stove for backup or when I need a quick cup o-coffee, found fuels are the main fuel source of energy for me. Much more reliable. The better you get at using found fuel , the easier it gets.

brooklynkayak
09-15-2009, 21:29
Any comments on the Littlbug stove? Uses wood or alcohol. www.littlbug.com (http://www.littlbug.com)

It's good, but may be a little heavy for solo backpacking. I'd say it's pretty good for more than one.
I find that a carried thin aluminum sheet with a couple found rocks works for me in most cases. If it is very wet and I don't have time to deal with finding dry wood, I fall back to the alky stove.

Found fuel works in most cases so I don't have to carry much alcohol.

SunnyWalker
10-28-2009, 22:11
OH, boy, I just bought a Pocket Rocket but now am thinking of that CDT and how it might be hard to find fuel cannisters. AS Zip stove would be great.

Doctari
10-30-2009, 09:45
On Lynn Weldon's video "How to hike the AT" from the late 80s I think, There is a guy using a Zzip stove. According to Wingfoot, he made it all the way using just the Zzip, & his only real problem was cooking at the Graystone Monastery. The Monks keep the grounds spotless, so no twigs & etc, so he had to use leftover candle wax from the trash to cook on, the dripping wax got into the fan motor & ruined it. He said that the Zzip stove people were great about getting him a replacement motor in just a few days.

brooklynkayak
10-30-2009, 09:55
The barefoot sisters did their yo-yo with a zip stove and they never seemed to have a problem finding fuel. Even in freezing rain and snow they were cooking hot meals. Keep in mind they were hiking year round:eek:

Although it may be heavier than other stoves, you don't have to carry fuel and it will burn wet or green fuel better than most wood stoves.