PDA

View Full Version : Hammocks and dogs

Trail Yeti
03-22-2004, 19:48
What do y'all think about hammocking while hiking with a dog? any comments? I figure you could always tie your pet underneath you.

azchipka
03-22-2004, 20:03
It really depends on the dog. I hike with my baby juliet who is a huskie. She sleeps under my hammock untied but this is only because she wont move a mussle if she is tolded to stay. I think tieing the dog to the hammock would be such a great idea maybe a tree though. I would get her used to this before your trip though by using your backyard.

Lugnut
03-22-2004, 20:39
Yeti, Maybe you could get a dog that paces around and it could rock you to sleep! Is that a good idea, or what? :-?

mattyg2
03-22-2004, 22:15
I've taken my dog camping with a hammock several times. Tying him to the same tree works well if the dog has short nails and is used to the hammock. When my dog first saw me climb into the hammock, he immedietly tried to follow. Also, he will usually swat at the hammock when nature calls so i can take him away from the camp area. Luckily he won't answer the call in the same are he eats.

Allen66
03-22-2004, 22:21
The dog would be better off tied to a tree because if tied to the hammock it would have to lay underneath where all the water is running off the lowest point of the hammock when it rained.

Does anyone ever have problems with dogs and rattle snakes? A dog is likely to investigate a rattle.

firefly
03-23-2004, 14:14
I hike with my dog..she is a jack russell mix. She sleeps in the hammock with me. I have a Speer Hammock and a Hennessey Hammock she has no trouble crawling into either one.