PDA

View Full Version : Hiking etiquette?

dan8794
10-13-2008, 21:10
Hi! I'm new to hiking, as well as whiteblaze.net.

I actually just went on my first every hiking adventure. I did 30.7 miles of the AT from Neel's Gap down to Springer as well as the Approach Trail. Needless to say, this is by far the best hobby that I have ever picked up and feel that the money for equipment was well spent and worth it.

One thing I was wondering while hiking the trail concerns right of way.

When hiking, I noticed that a lot of people heading north (we were going south...obviously) would step to the edge of the trail and allow us to pass. I noticed this was usually when we were heading uphill.

What is the common rule about this? Do I allow uphillers to pass or what? I really enjoy hiking and plan on doing much more of it in the future, but want everyone to enjoy their hike, so I want to follow all rules...clearly stated and understood.

A little advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Marta
10-13-2008, 21:19
As far as I can tell, there's no consensus on hiking rights of way in the east. In California, I was instructed that the uphill hiker has the right of way. More than one person told me this. It seems quite backwards--the uphill hiker being the one who would more than likely appreciate stopping for a moment.

If a hiker is sharing a trail with equestrians, the horses have the right of way.

CherrypieScout
10-13-2008, 21:22
If I'm plugging uphill, stopping to let a "downhiller" pass is a legitimate excuse for a break. Guess that is opposite of your experience.
Hikers can be nice people.

Blissful
10-13-2008, 21:24
Yeah, it just depends. But I have noticed kind gentlemen on many occasions stepping out of the way to let a lady hiker pass. :)

Pedaling Fool
10-13-2008, 21:28
Yeah, there’s not consensus on this one, I’ve also heard the one about down-hillers yielding the right-of-way to up-hillers. The idea as I understand it is that the up-hiller has a momentum and it’s also harder to start and stop (unless you absolutely need a stop) as an up-hiller. I think in most cases no one really needs to stop, just move a little to the right as you pass – damn trail is too narrow anyway.

dan8794
10-13-2008, 21:34
Wow! Thank you so much for the quick replies!

The advice is helpful.

Thanks again!

Nest
10-13-2008, 21:39
All this right of way junk requires too much thinking. If you have room to get over then get over. A few times both people find a place to get over, both get over, and both wave the other on. Eventually someone will pass the other and you both go on your way. Reminds me of the Dr Seuss story though about the two characters who refused to go around eachother and the world went on around them as they just stood there.

bigmac_in
10-13-2008, 21:54
It depends who has room to step aside. Usually the downhiller has a better view of the trail ahead.

trouthunter
10-13-2008, 21:54
Yeah what Nest said, Although if the trail is only wide enough for one person I was taught that the up-hiller has the right of way.
If you are using the rest/step method on an up hill hike you need to maintain your momentum, unless you need the break anyway.
So like Nest said sometimes the decision making is best left as a fluid decision on a case by case basis keeping consideration for others paramount.

jesse
10-13-2008, 22:08
When I am walking uphill, I want to stop and rest, so I gladly stop and let the downhillers pass.
Another idea is hike the BMT or other trails in GA, you don't have to worry about it cause there is nobody else on them.

ed bell
10-13-2008, 22:56
My general rule is to stop before I meet a hiker coming uphill as it is easy for me moving downhill to reach a good spot to let hikers pass one another. This is obviously a question about passing one another when there is little room for error. Very often it's not an issue to concern yourself with. I always felt downhill momentum should be slowed or halted when coming up on folks. Less chance of steamrolling them with a misstep, especially since there is often a steep slope to the left or right when two hikers meet in an uphill, downhill scenario.

daddytwosticks
10-14-2008, 07:36
I always stop and pull over when I see an approaching hiker. I also try and put on my friendliest smile. 90% of the time, approaching hikers will stop and we exchange pleasantries and share information. The outside world is in such a rush and tends to be uncivil at times. The trail is a great place to break this mindset...slow down, enjoy the trail and your fellow man. :)

peakbagger
10-14-2008, 08:00
One thing that should be an absolute is that if you have someone overtaking you in the same direction, you should find the nearest possible spot to step aside and let them pass. Even if someone just slowly catches up and starts to maintain my pace, I usually step aside and give them the option.

papa john
10-14-2008, 08:18
I always stop and pull over when I see an approaching hiker. I also try and put on my friendliest smile. 90% of the time, approaching hikers will stop and we exchange pleasantries and share information. The outside world is in such a rush and tends to be uncivil at times. The trail is a great place to break this mindset...slow down, enjoy the trail and your fellow man. :)

Well said!

Ziggy Trek
10-14-2008, 08:41
You can try this for a start http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/sfrmp/documents/Recreation_Trail_Use_Etiquette.pdf

taildragger
10-14-2008, 11:31
He with the most gas shall pass on an uphill

DuctTape
10-14-2008, 11:40
One thing that should be an absolute is that if you have someone overtaking you in the same direction, you should find the nearest possible spot to step aside and let them pass. Even if someone just slowly catches up and starts to maintain my pace, I usually step aside and give them the option.

I think this is the only statement that really matters as far as etiquette in this topic. All else is more or less a non-issue.

Gaiter
10-14-2008, 11:40
i always heard it was because its harder to get going uphill, that whole gravity thing working against you, so those going downhill should move aside if there is somewhere to do such (as was mentioned above), but also as a big fan of taking breaks (also mentioned above), someone walking downhill is a good enough reason for me to break, and also a chance to make another hiking friend, gather info, etc... (also mentioned above)
i kinda sound like a broken record

Gaiter
10-14-2008, 11:42
oh yeah, welcome to whiteblaze!!!!!

Lone Wolf
10-14-2008, 11:44
I think this is the only statement that really matters as far as etiquette in this topic. All else is more or less a non-issue.

exactly. i never stop for anyone coming at me uphill or downhill

Old Grouse
10-14-2008, 11:50
It may be an extension of the old convention in snow country that the motor vehicle coming uphill needs to maintain its momentum.

Montana AT05
10-14-2008, 15:53
The trail should be a free place--free from the pressing social rules you fled from when you headed to the hills!

It comes down to common sense.

Is the other hiker older? Move aside. Not because they need it--but because of respect.

Does the other hiker look tired, haggard, upset? Move aside. It may put a smile on their face, even it's a mile later.

Horses and animals always get the right-away. Mule trains in particular. While you step aside, avoid sudden movements or loud noises.

Are you a man and the other hiker a woman (or if a group--is there even one woman?) Move aside. Chivalry isn't dead. Trust me...even the most ardent, college-aged, body-haired feminist will secretly love being treated as a lady.

Check the terrain. Is it dicey for the other hiker(s)? Move aside.

Enjoy the trail. Don't let the growing community of hikers recreate the RED LIGHT, GREEN LIGHT, YELLOW LIGHT mentality that we all seek to leave from time to time.

flemdawg1
10-14-2008, 16:11
You can try this for a start http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/sfrmp/documents/Recreation_Trail_Use_Etiquette.pdf

Funny line from the link:

Wildlife encountering:

humans.

• Run away. If overly curious
about this species, observe
cautiously – but be ready to
run depending on how the
humans respond.

The wildlife in PA must be purty smart, and well-read.

Plodderman
10-14-2008, 16:25
I try to get over when I can and if I am heading down hill I almost always let the person going uphill pass. Never had much of a problem of passing that way but occaisionally I have had problems getting around slow hikers ahead of me. But it all works out.

Usually on the trail I am pretty calm and not in a hurry, I just like to keep the pace that is comfortable to me.

wrongway_08
10-14-2008, 16:50
My rules of thumb:
1st - step out of the way of the ladies, uphill or downhill.
2nd - step to the side for hikers heading up hill, takes more energy for them to stop and restart.

Time To Fly 97
10-14-2008, 17:02
If this happens in NJ, we just accelerate (uphill and downhill). lol

Happy hiking!

TTF

Chaco Taco
10-15-2008, 14:53
This also raises the question of passing. Anyone ever have a problem with passing people? Like when some people get pissed when you pass, then you stop for a break, then you have to pass again. Had a sectioner get really upset with me outside of Franklin, NC when I passed, stopped, and then had to pass again. He told me he wouldnt move for me again. Anyone got any comments on the passing issue.

Marta
10-15-2008, 15:03
...He told me he wouldnt move for me again. Anyone got any comments on the passing issue.

My comment: That guy was an idiot. Since when is it such hard work to step aside and let someone pass?

Gaiter
10-15-2008, 16:49
This also raises the question of passing. Anyone ever have a problem with passing people? Like when some people get pissed when you pass, then you stop for a break, then you have to pass again. Had a sectioner get really upset with me outside of Franklin, NC when I passed, stopped, and then had to pass again. He told me he wouldnt move for me again. Anyone got any comments on the passing issue.

sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of their sleeping bag:eek:

Cool AT Breeze
10-15-2008, 17:09
Duct tape a bike bell to your hiking staff.

wrongway_08
10-15-2008, 17:17
The guys an idiot. kick a stick between his feet, when he falls and bust his face on the ground, step around and say "thank you", carry on with your hike.

garlic08
10-15-2008, 17:18
Yeah, I inadvertently startled someone when I was passing--he had ear buds in and didn't hear my repeated greetings. He looked pretty pissed, but it didn't bother me, I exercised due diligence.

Old Grouse mentioned the roadway convention of the uphill vehicle having the ROW. In Colorado where I live that's actually in the rules of the road book, for all road conditions. It's harder to back down a hill under control. There have been fatalies from drivers doing that and leaving a shelf road.

It just makes good sense for the downhiller to be under control and take a short break, too. I've seen that most hiking accidents occur on the descent (and usually pretty close to a TH).

Anyway, as I learned in drivers ed, the ROW is always to be given, never taken.

Hey, my first post!

longneck
10-15-2008, 18:06
If a hiker is sharing a trail with equestrians, the horses have the right of way.

Also, when you move aside for horses, be sure to go downhill of them, in case they spook.

(At least, that's what I was always told....)

Nest
10-15-2008, 22:54
The guys an idiot. kick a stick between his feet, when he falls and bust his face on the ground, step around and say "thank you", carry on with your hike.

I was thinking of informing them that if they force me to be behind them all day we will eventually come to a very high cliff with an overlook. Then ask if they want a pissed off transient ,that no one knows the real name of, to be behind them at said overlook.

Tin Man
10-15-2008, 23:15
let's not be advocating violence here. idiots have rights, too.

ed bell
10-15-2008, 23:46

My comment: That guy was an idiot. Since when is it such hard work to step aside and let someone pass?

Exactly, I agree 100%.

Well, while that is a creative martial arts inspired move, I'd say it probably shouldn't escalate to that level. I'll keep it in mind just in case.

I was thinking of informing them that if they force me to be behind them all day we will eventually come to a very high cliff with an overlook. Then ask if they want a pissed off transient ,that no one knows the real name of, to be behind them at said overlook.

That is a courteous way to handle it.:cool:

Duct tape a bike bell to your hiking staff. I like this the best.:D

Alligator
10-15-2008, 23:51
This also raises the question of passing. Anyone ever have a problem with passing people? Like when some people get pissed when you pass, then you stop for a break, then you have to pass again. Had a sectioner get really upset with me outside of Franklin, NC when I passed, stopped, and then had to pass again. He told me he wouldnt move for me again. Anyone got any comments on the passing issue.Nobody ever bothers me when I use the blinker on my headlamp. Of course I make sure to pass on the left.

mudhead
10-16-2008, 06:22
Hey, my first post!

Good one, too.

I think most considerate people can read who can move over easier.

I do always yield to people with a papoose.

Egads
10-16-2008, 06:42
Excuse me, Excuse me, Excuse me, May I pass?

It's an option, but we're all out there to enjoy nature & have fun, right?

I enjoy making conversation most of the time and it's a chance to catch a breath. I actually feel slighted when my friendly "Hello" is met with silence. But that is another trail etiquette issue. Do you stop & chat?

superman
10-16-2008, 07:45
Excuse me, Excuse me, Excuse me, May I pass?

It's an option, but we're all out there to enjoy nature & have fun, right?

I enjoy making conversation most of the time and it's a chance to catch a breath. I actually feel slighted when my friendly "Hello" is met with silence. But that is another trail etiquette issue. Do you stop & chat?

I would have hiked the AT in one month if I hadn't spent so much time talking to folks. :D

Old Grouse
10-16-2008, 10:01
The passing issue raises another question - how many of us make a practice of occasionally checking their backtrail? We old grunts probably all do it from force of habit.

superman
10-16-2008, 10:35
The passing issue raises another question - how many of us make a practice of occasionally checking their backtrail? We old grunts probably all do it from force of habit.

I was just Winter's slack man.:)