PDA

View Full Version : Nalgene vs bladder?

dan8794
10-13-2008, 22:22
I have just started hiking, and I went with 2 nalgene bottles and I like them.

However, I see most hikers using bladders.

I do not know why, but I really like the nalgene bottle and would like to know the opinions of others.

Thanks!

fiddlehead
10-13-2008, 22:27
A simple coke or pepsi or gatoraid bottle is best IMO.
I've seen bladders leak in below freezing temps. (all over my friend's clothes bag too)

That said, i carry a lightweight plastic bag that REI used to sell that is very similar to the wine box bladders for when i hit camp and need more water for cooking, cleaning, coffee/tea, etc.
When on the trail, it's always empty and i use one pepsi or coke bottle. They're lightweight, cheap and simple. (2 if i'm in a real dry section)

Pedaling Fool
10-13-2008, 22:32
I just like the convenience of walking and drinking without stopping, plus the water stays cold longer in my pack – I lay it on top of the inside of my pack, not in the special compartment, because my body heat warms it too quickly. I use the water compartment for my maps/journal…

When I'm cycling I take frozen water bottles, but it only takes about a 1/2 hour for the ice to melt, course that has a lot to do with the extra heat radiating off the pavement.

Pedaling Fool
10-13-2008, 22:36
A simple coke or pepsi or gatoraid bottle is best IMO...
I've never had one break on me, but given time I'm sure it will happen, so I do carry two back-up bottles as mentioned above.

Wags
10-13-2008, 23:26
i take 1 of each. like having the nalgene for measuring water for dinners, mixing gatorade, and a hot water bottle if necessary. like having the bladder for drinking while walking

Bob S
10-13-2008, 23:30
Pepsi or Coke bottles are amazingly tough, you can throw them up in the air and let them land on rocks and they will not break. But if they land on the cap it may break, take an extra cap with you.

As far as Nalgene bottles, most here would say they weigh too much, but I use and like them. They are very hard to break.

Serial 07
10-13-2008, 23:46
let's see...nalgenes are good for cold weather b/c you can boil water then put it inside a nalgene and create a hot rock that can be placed inside of sleeping bag...very useful for the smokies...other than that, i would use gatorade bottles instead of nalgenes...they weigh less and hold the same oz's...

the bladder is great for non-stop hydration...stick that tube in your grill and start drinking...easy...there are always break concerns, but in this world, there are very few guarantees...but i think the chances of disaster are minimal as long as you are being responsible...

they are both good, having both i think is the best plan...

RevLee
10-14-2008, 00:26
I've found that I just don't drink enough from a bladder. Even taking frequent sips isn't hydrating me as much as taking a good swig from a bottle. Plus stopping for drink gives my companions a chance to drink also. A big benefit for me is being able to monitor how much I've actually been drinking. With the bladders, I am concerned about keeping the bladder and hose clean enough on extended trips. However, I do carry a bag for holding water in camp, but I never drink directly from it and it does not have a hose.

Zzzzdyd
10-14-2008, 01:09
I found it almost impossible to hike as quite as I prefer using Nalgenes.

I now use one 1lt Platapus I have used over 10 yrs now with no problems.

One 3 lt water bag for camp and I also blow it up as a pillow.

One 4 oz OJ bottle for those up hill sips .

I have never needed to do it in the field but I did boil water and test the

Platapus in case I needed a "hotrock" . It held up well.

Nalgenes don't mold, they slosh quite a bit, a tad heavy for my taste, but

they are tough and I would guess they would hold up ok on a thru-hike.

Hooch
10-14-2008, 05:36

I do not know why, but I really like the nalgene bottle and would like to know the opinions of others.

Thanks!I used to be a dedicated bladder user, but got away from them and now use either a Platypus, Gatorade bottle or sterile water bottle. I get the sterile water bottles from work and clean them thoroughly . Best of all, they're free. :D

Lone Wolf
10-14-2008, 05:42

Thanks!

i've never used a bladder thingy and never will. i always use a nalgene and a gatoraid bottle. everybody i know that uses has leaks

Peaks
10-14-2008, 08:04
Man, I'm really on the fence over this question.

I've been a long time fan of the HDPE Nalgenes. They are durable! And I've certainly got the time to stop and take a good sip periodically.

But, water bottles are a pain the neck to get in and out of your pack without asking someone for help. So, recently I've started using a Camelback.

I think your decision over bottle or bladder is one of personal choice, just like all equipment choices. No one solution for all.

dan8794
10-14-2008, 08:52
Wow! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that is not 100% sure as to what piece of hydration equipment to use.

As for you Peaks, what I did to make my Nalgene easily accessible was duct tape a piece of rope on two sides of the bottle, which comes to a loop knot. That way I can easily use a carabiner to attach it to the side of my bag, easily within arms reach.

Thanks again for the advice, and I think I'll stick to my Nalgenes...I do like them!

Kerosene
10-14-2008, 09:10
I use a 1.5L Nalgene Cantene (http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=42) with a hose/bite valve attached. The Cantene is flexible, weighs 2 oz. without the hose (4.3 oz with), and resides in a side pocket so if it should leak it doesn't soak everything. The only problems I've had were a pin-leak that occurred when I scrunched an empty bottle into the pocket too hard, plus a full-out explosion failure when I pushed the full bottle off of my 6-foot high bunk at a White Mountains hut (what a mess!).

Quoddy
10-14-2008, 09:20
I never liked the CamelBak system and also found that I sometimes didn't drink enough since it's impossible to gauge exactly how much water is being consumed. I carry two Gatorade, or similar, bottles in my pack's front strap pockets for use on the move and have a 3L Platy which I only use in camp unless crossing extremely dry areas.

skinewmexico
10-14-2008, 09:51
Nalgenes are incrediblyl heavy, and I've never had a Dasani bottle break.

Skyline
10-14-2008, 11:08
Best of both worlds: a 70-oz. Camelback bladder, and a one-litre Nalgene, filled as much as necessary while hiking. Full when in a dry stretch, less full when water sources are plentiful.

In camp I use one of those cheap bags with handles (sold thru Campmor and others) to collect water, and filter out of that. I also carry two lightweight collapsible Platypus "bottles" for extra water storage in camp, and fill those up also when pumping from the water bag. By time to break camp the next morning, I'll still have enough water for much of that day to put into the Camelback and rigid Nalgene I use while hiking.

Levlle
10-14-2008, 12:02

Thanks!

I used 2 Nalgene bottles for most extended hikes. I find the ease of cleaning and durability beats a bladder or bottles. I also use a MSR miniworks pump that screws directly onto the Nalgene bottles, so that makes it much more convenient than having to hold the pump over a bladder or bottle.

But, I think it's more of a personal choice, and most likely something that you will learn over time and by trying different combinations yourself.

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2008, 12:13
The great advantage of a "suck tube" bladder or hydration system is that it makes it really easy to drink as you go. The convenience of this probably results in most people drinking MORE frequently than they would otherwise, which is a good thing. Most people don't drink enough while hiking.

The dis-advantages are that one can lose track of how much water one actually has remaining in the bag, and if you don't check on your water level periodically, you might discover that you've got a lot less than you think, and you may even run out.

Also, people should be sure to thoroughly clean their water bag, hose, and mouthpiece frequently, as these get dirty pretty quickly.

In my experience, the best water bags (either with or without a hydration hose) are made by MSR.

If you go with plain bottles instead, make sure they are accessible from your pack, as it's a real pain in the ass to have to take off your pack every time you want a drink. If the side pockets of your backpack aren't reachable while you're wearing the pack, there are bottle holsters available that will attach easily with velcro strips to just about any hip belt.

And I would consider ditching Nalgenes. They are expensive, and lots of folks prefer to use liter soda bottles, Gatorade bottles, etc. These can be repleaced periodically with newer, cleaner bottles (The neck threads on Nalgenes collect nasty black gunk over time which is unsanitary, unappealing, and a pain to remove). The only real advantage to Nalgenes is they have a wider mouth (easier to put drink mix in), and you can use them for hot drinks, or to make a hot water bottle for your sleeping bag on really cold nights. But most folks are switching out to lighter, cheaper alternatives.

dessertrat
10-14-2008, 12:44
The dis-advantages are that one can lose track of how much water one actually has remaining in the bag, and if you don't check on your water level periodically, you might discover that you've got a lot less than you think, and you may even run out.

I address this issue by putting some amount in a bottle in my pack, and the rest in the bladder. That way when I "run out" I still have the reserve amount.

flemdawg1
10-14-2008, 16:18
I have a 1-L Nalgen and a 2-L Camelbak bladder. I've kept the Nalgene because I have a Steripen and the prefilter threads on the Nalgene.

rafe
10-14-2008, 16:50
I've got about 700 miles on my 3-Liter Platypus bag. No problems. I was nervous at first but not any more. I carry a 20 oz. soda bottle as a reserve, just in case. When I hiked on the JMT last summer, I carried a spare (empty) Platy bag as a back-up.

JumpInTheLake
10-14-2008, 20:38
I like my Nalgene bottles. They work with my filter, and they make a great hot water bottle. Someone mentioned that they are incredibly heavy. I have to laugh while I disagree, but they do help me meet my thirty pound minimum. Actually I can see the logic of carrying one Nalgene and one Gatorade bottle.

Bladders always leak sticky sugar drinks all over my friends pack, and I have visions of nasty crap living in those things. I have a day pack with a bladder, and I don't use it (the bladder).

I hang an empty one gallon milk jug on my pack for camp water. I am eye balling those slick silicone nylon water bags though.

Roots
10-14-2008, 20:55
It's kind of confusing. I love Nalgene bottles while at home. On the trail I used to use the collapsable Nalgene--48 oz--with the Nalgene drink tube. Then I started having a lot of problems with the drink tube leaking around the lid. NOW I use a Camelbak Omega Hydrotanium Reservoir--2.0 liter. I LOVE THIS THING. It has the anti-microbial treatment, easy to clean, easy to fill, taste free, and VERY durable and leak-proof. I still carry one of the Nalgene collapsable's with my Steripen pre-filter connected to collect and treat my water in. I also use the Platypus tank (4L) to collect camp water. I guess you could say I've tried them all. Definitely recommend the Camelbak though.

Toolshed
10-14-2008, 20:59
I prefer Nalgene Bottle (and not only because I hail from the Nalge Nunc Home Town).
I always use Nalgenes in the winter with my OR bottle parkas, but for regular 3 season Use I usually carry a 1 Liter Nalgene and my water bladder (either a platy or my MSR Drom Bag.)
I almost never drink out of the platy, but use it to refill my Nalgene. My concern is that the time I have use the hose, I never really know how much water I have left. With my Nalgene bottle, I always know.
In addition, the water in the hose always becomes warm and I hate blowing it back into the cooler water before sucking up more water.

I have found the best of both worlds by carrying both and if I use my Drom Bag, It gives me the capacity of up to 5 liters if I ever really needed it.

Mags
10-14-2008, 21:06
It's kind of confusing. I love Nalgene bottles while at home.

:D

http://store.theonion.com/images/get/143

BigBlue
10-14-2008, 21:09
I like to use a Dasini bottle and a 3-liter cantene for camp, seems to work well for me. I don't like the bladders you never know how much water is left and also IMO you tend to carry too much water at a time.

Marta
10-14-2008, 21:20
...and also IMO you tend to carry too much water at a time.

Extremely important point. Under ordinary AT conditions, where there's water every hour or two along the trail, carrying six-and-a-half pounds of water is unnecessary, IMO.

rafe
10-14-2008, 21:38
Extremely important point. Under ordinary AT conditions, where there's water every hour or two along the trail, carrying six-and-a-half pounds of water is unnecessary, IMO.

Better to have too much water than not enough, IMO. Dehydration leads to all sorts of nastiness... not the least of which is kidney stones, eventually (though the docs tell me that's mostly a "guy" thing.)

IMO, judging "the right amount of water to carry" is about the most rigorous intellectual exercise you're likely to get on a typical long hike. It can be a game... but it kinda sucks to lose.

leprechaun
10-15-2008, 00:49
I have used the MSR hydromedary( http://www.msrgear.com/hydration/hydromedary.asp ) for years without a leak, and camelbak makes a cleaning tablet ( http://www.rei.com/product/695527 ) you can just throw in the bag then rinse out, easy and I stay hydrated. I have learned how to guage when I am using enough water, which does take some practice so there is a slight learning curve

anie77
10-15-2008, 03:00
I've only ever used Nalgenes because I wanted a sturdy bottle I can re-use, but have picked up really useful info here thanks!

drastic_quench
10-15-2008, 04:09
i take 1 of each. like having the nalgene for measuring water for dinners, mixing gatorade, and a hot water bottle if necessary. like having the bladder for drinking while walking
Same.

I carry one 3L CamelBak bladder and one empty Nalgene. Arguing that Nalgenes are heavy is crazy to me. They weigh what? As much as maybe four 20oz Coke bottles or three Gatorade bottles? I would say that small potatoes, but a small potato is still significantly heavier. These additional grams are more than made up for by its indestrucability.

My view is that a Nalgene has a whole host of pros, and I've only ever read "heavy" as being a con. I did read the complaint here about the threads getting gunky. I've only scene that on a bottle that I found. I think my method of "no-mouthing" my bottles and pouring the water in my mouth must keep gunk from building up.

I'm the last guy that'll ever tell anyone what they should carry, but the entire "Nalgenes are heavy" school of thought is just nuts to me. I'm not going to knock anyone for carrying disposables or anything else, they're just not for me.

Peaks
10-15-2008, 07:39
If anyone thinks Nalgenes are heavy, just compare the weight with a camelback.

For me, the HDPE Nalgenes are 4 ounces. My 1 1/2 liter camelback is 6 ounces, about the same weight as a lexan Nalgene.

(Gatoraid bottles are lighter than both, but not nearly as durable).

Johnny Swank
10-15-2008, 09:06
I used a bladder system for most of my thru-hike, but ran into problems once it stayed below freezing the last few weeks. It was more of a pain than it was worth then.

That said, I've gone be to using a 20 0z soda bottle in a water-bottle holster, along with another 1 liter soda bottle in a pocket (90% this will be empty) I also have a 3 liter platypus squirrelled away with my cooking set, but rarely use it on the AT.

dessertrat
10-15-2008, 09:27
I like to use a Dasini bottle and a 3-liter cantene for camp, seems to work well for me. I don't like the bladders you never know how much water is left and also IMO you tend to carry too much water at a time.

You don't have to fill it up all the way.;)

brianos
10-15-2008, 23:44
I prefer Nalgenes to water bladders. I usually trek with 4 Nalgenes - 2 in the side pockets of my Osprey Aether, and 2 spares in the main compartment, which I'll keep full if it's a long way to the next water source. That's probably more than most hikers carry, but I drink a lot of water even when I'm not hiking, and the last thing I want to run out of is water! Never been a big fan of bladders for several of the reasons cited already - more difficult to clean, more likely to leak, difficult to know how much is left, takes up space in the pack (although that can vary depending on the pack).

BitBucket
10-16-2008, 00:17
I hose up my Camelbak bladder by using a quick disconnect valve that allows me to attach directly to my Katadyn Vario Filter. The bladder becomes my temporary storage bag of "filtered" water. I transfer from the bladder to the Nalgene as needed and then zap with the Steripen attached to the Nalgene bottle to get my filtered & treated water. Any time I run dry in the Nalgene, I just fill 'er up from thecamelbak bladder and zap with the Steripen.

since I've got quick disconnect adapters on all the pieces, it's easy to keep a good supply of clean filtered water for cooking and only UV zap what I actually want to drink. (don't need to zap what you may be boiling)

I can quick fill the bottle or bladder with just a few pumps from the Vario and be on the way in just a few minutes. And with the Steripen, I'm never more than 60 seconds away from clean, filtered water.

garlic08
10-16-2008, 00:26
I stopped using the bladder/hose/bite valve system after losing water a couple of times on desert hikes. That was years ago, now I notice some systems have a stopcock valve or cover to prevent inadvertent squeezing if you set the pack down on the bite valve. Once the whole bite valve came off when snagged on a bush and I lost some valuable water then, too. So I just got rid of the whole thing, not reliable enough for my hikes. Now I carry one 1-liter Aquafina bottle and one 2-liter Platypus, which stays empty 90% of the time. Total system weight, just over 2 oz. An extra cap is a great idea, otherwise there's nothing to break or go wrong.

rafe
10-16-2008, 09:17
I like my Nalgene bottles.

Right, but they're heavy for what they do. The "old" polypropylene versions were 4 oz, the "new" clear plastic ones are 6 oz. That's for a 32 oz. payload. To carry 3 quarts of water using the "new" Nalgene bottles, you're looking at over a pound of plastic.

Bladders always leak sticky sugar drinks all over my friends pack, and I have visions of nasty crap living in those things..A) I don't put flavored drinks (aka sugar water) in a bladder. B) So far (700 miles or so) no leaks with a 3-Liter Platy bag.

Roots
10-16-2008, 15:55
:D

http://store.theonion.com/images/get/143

Good one! I need one of those. :D

Peaks
10-16-2008, 16:31
Right, but they're heavy for what they do. The "old" polypropylene versions were 4 oz, the "new" clear plastic ones are 6 oz. That's for a 32 oz. payload. To carry 3 quarts of water using the "new" Nalgene bottles, you're looking at over a pound of plastic.

A) I don't put flavored drinks (aka sugar water) in a bladder. B) So far (700 miles or so) no leaks with a 3-Liter Platy bag.

I don't think it's "old" vs "new." As far as I know, the HDPE nalgenes are still sold, and the lexan (or whatever the clear material is now) are also sold.

Yes, don't put sugar water in a bladder.

rafe
10-16-2008, 22:26
I don't think it's "old" vs "new." As far as I know, the HDPE nalgenes are still sold, and the lexan (or whatever the clear material is now) are also sold.

That may be, but I haven't seen them for some time now, at least not in the 32 oz. size. Those that I've seen in the last few years have been the shiny multicolored (polycarbonate?) versions. I had to toss my old (4 oz.) Nalgene a couple years ago after some mold grew on it.

hikingnut
10-17-2008, 15:35
i used to spurn nalgenes for the weight and the yuppy personna they had. but i have changed my mind. my platypus bladder is ok for carry and keeping large amoutns of water from the spring to the camp but it stays empty during the day. the nalgene is good in winter, has a wide mouth and can even be used as a hot water bottle. i do use my metal cup to take water from the spring or source to the nalgene.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-17-2008, 15:49

Thanks!
What you drink from is immaterial, what you drink and how much is what matters. Some people will will discuss the merits of fine threaded caps versus coarse threads all day. Don't overthink it but if you feel you absolutely need to suck on something while you hike, go bladder

Wise Old Owl
10-19-2008, 19:13
That may be, but I haven't seen them for some time now, at least not in the 32 oz. size. Those that I've seen in the last few years have been the shiny multicolored (polycarbonate?) versions. I had to toss my old (4 oz.) Nalgene a couple years ago after some mold grew on it.

Mold - Couldn't you boil it? Like we used to with Ball jars?

JumpInTheLake
10-19-2008, 21:22

You should have soaked it in bleach.

Bob S
10-19-2008, 22:10

I have several of the 4 oz Nalgene bottles. Gander Mountain had them last fall. Give them a look if you want more of them.

River Runner
10-20-2008, 02:03
I prefer Platypus Bladders and a single Gatoraide bottle to mix drinks and as that little extra supply in case I do suck my bladder dry without realizing it. I also normally carry a little Platypus Sport Bladder that I use in my hammock or tent at night. The Sport size (1/2 liter) will hang nicely from my ridgeline at the end of my hammock without bumping my feet.

With the difference in weight between a Nalgene and a Platypus (or a Gatoraide bottle), I figure I'd rather carry a little more water than carry a little more water container.

Plus I find the Nalgene's a little awkward to drink from with the attached cap banging around on the side...

FlyPaper
10-20-2008, 14:10
I prefer Nalgen Bottles over a bladder. They are a bit heavy, but they are much easier to work with in camp. Also, I am terrified the bladder will leak in my bag and get something wet that really needs to be dry (e.g. thermal underwear on a cold night). On one trip that I used a bladder, it was easy to drink as I walked, but I wound up running out of water because I wasn't able to easily track how much was left in the bladder. The convenience of a bladder is no good if you have to stop and
open your pack frequently to check how much water you have left.

Also, at least in my pack it is a pain packing and unpacking when the bladder needs
to sit in the top of the backpack.

I most recently used a bladder last year when I knew it was going to be dry. I took two Nalgen bottles and a 2.5 liter bladder so I could store over a gallon of water. I thought four Nalgen bottles would have been overkill.