PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Roanoke, VA Camper Questions

WalksInDark
10-14-2008, 10:50
:-?A Couple of Newbie Roanoke, VA Camper Questions Regarding the Appalachian Trail:

1) How can you tell which side of a tent footprint is up? Does the seam tape go up or down?

2) Where are there trailhead locators for shelters along the Appalachian Trail around Roanoke, VA?

3) Where are there alternative water source locators for shelters along the Appalachian Trail around Roanoke, VA?

4) Anyone have any experience with the North Face Aguila 33 tent?

Thanks!:banana

WalksInDark

Yahtzee
10-14-2008, 11:02
Can't help you with the tent questions, but Rt 311 in Catawba Valley would seem to be your closest trailhead from Roanoke. From 311 you can hike north up to McAfee's Knob and stay at the shelter just past the viewpoint and continue on the next day over Tinker Cliffs to get off at the Troutville/Rt. 81 exchange. Also, for a fantastic day hike, you could go further up 311 to the Dragon's Tooth trailhead. Here, there is a parking lot a bit up the mountain which alleviates the knee-crushing downhill on your way back.

Frau
10-14-2008, 11:55
All that info is posted on this site. It sites roads crossings, trail heads, water, shelters etc. As I recall this is an adobe file.

It depends where in the valley you live as to which trail head is closest to you. Dragon's Tooth, McAfee's Knob, Tinker Cliffs/Scorched Earth (via Andy Lane), Daleville/220, Daleville/11, Fullhardt Knob--any may be closest to you. Rummage around the WB site until you find that info. Maybe another poster can send you the link. Mine is at home on another computer.

There are many terrific, non-AT hikes in SW VA as well. Hikerhead and others in Rke. can give you great suggests.

HYOH,

Frau (So. Rockbridge Co.)

Blissful
10-14-2008, 12:07
Welcome to White Blaze.

Sugggestion - Ditch the tent footprint and go with a piece of Tyvek. Weighs very little and works great as a ground cloth. :)

Map of the area and AT data book can help with your questions.

Lone Wolf
10-14-2008, 12:09
Welcome to White Blaze.

Sugggestion - Ditch the tent footprint and go with a piece of Tyvek. Weighs very little and works great as a ground cloth. :)

the footprint doesn't weigh jack either and is a ground cloth

Blissful
10-14-2008, 12:17
The ones for our other tents are heavy. Maybe they are lighter now, depending on the tent manufacturer.

Hikerhead
10-14-2008, 12:48
:-?A Couple of Newbie Roanoke, VA Camper Questions Regarding the Appalachian Trail:

1) How can you tell which side of a tent footprint is up? Does the seam tape go up or down?

2) Where are there trailhead locators for shelters along the Appalachian Trail around Roanoke, VA?

3) Where are there alternative water source locators for shelters along the Appalachian Trail around Roanoke, VA?

4) Anyone have any experience with the North Face Aguila 33 tent?

Thanks!:banana

WalksInDark

I suggest you go to Outdoor Trails in Daleville and buy two maps..the AT map and National Geo topo map of this area. Follow the dotted line "trail" to where is crosses the rd and 9 times out of 10 there will be a trail head there. They also show streams as blue lines on these maps. Happy Hiking!

f8lranger4x4
10-14-2008, 21:15
Hey uphill puffer also another Roanoker here. Pm me and I'll send u some info on all the stuff around here via email. Jon

f8lranger4x4
10-22-2008, 11:01
You have 311 going to dragon's tooth or Mcafee's knob
the lower entrace of the Dragon tooth trail which is past the first 311 parking lot closer to catawba.

their a many on the parkway near wilson shelter and bear wallow gap

f8lranger4x4
10-22-2008, 11:02
also right now the only reliable water sources in Catawba are at Campbell shelter and Catawba shelter until we get some more rain.