PDA

View Full Version : Springer to the Smokies

2009ThruHiker
10-14-2008, 14:23
Can I assume that stealth camping will be available throughout the sections between Springer - Smoky Mountains ? I am specifically speaking of camping spots that are not indicated in the handbook...i understand there may or may not be water at these spots...but for instance if we decide to get trail legs under us and want to pace ourselves and do 6 miles on day 1...well there is a reasonably flat area near the 6 mile mark...i am thinking a campsite there for a tent will be found. Is this correct?

Lone Wolf
10-14-2008, 14:26
yes. plenty of tent spots everywhere

2009ThruHiker
10-14-2008, 14:33
thank you kind Wolf.

max patch
10-14-2008, 14:37
.but for instance if we decide to get trail legs under us and want to pace ourselves and do 6 miles on day 1...well there is a reasonably flat area near the 6 mile mark...i am thinking a campsite there for a tent will be found. Is this correct?

You hit the jackpot if you want a reasonably flat area at the 6 mile mark...at 6 miles you'll hit a fs rd, turn left for 100 yards, and you'll hit hit Hickory Flatt Cemetary with a humongous flat area (I bring a football or baseball and gloves when we day hike there), covered pavillion you can sleep under if you don't want to tent, and pit toilets. No water, but you can carry from 3 Forks or Long Creek Falls.

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2008, 14:47
Just so you know, the phrase "stealth camping" doesn't usually refer to places that aren't mentioned or indicated in your guidebook. "Stealth camping" usually refers to camping somewhere that you know is either barred to camping, or where camping is discouraged.

But the answer to your question is that there are literally THOUSANDS of great places to camp between Springer and the Smokies, and you'll have no trouble at all discovering such places.

One other good thing to remember is that there are almost always good campsites in the area surrounding most Trail shelters. This way you can enjoy the benefits of staying near a shelter (good water; fire pit if you want a campfire; picnic table for easier cooking, etc.) but when it's time to go to bed, you'll have a nice private, quiet campsite nearby.

2009ThruHiker
10-14-2008, 15:06
You hit the jackpot if you want a reasonably flat area at the 6 mile mark...at 6 miles you'll hit a fs rd, turn left for 100 yards, and you'll hit hit Hickory Flatt Cemetary with a humongous flat area (I bring a football or baseball and gloves when we day hike there), covered pavillion you can sleep under if you don't want to tent, and pit toilets. No water, but you can carry from 3 Forks or Long Creek Falls.

GReat STUFF ! Thanks!!!

2009ThruHiker
10-14-2008, 15:08
Hey Baltimore. Just wanted to say your class at the Gathering sent me home with some great things to think about...cooking steak in the woods tops my list but there are many things I was able to pull from your trail wisdom. Thanks friend.

stranger
10-14-2008, 23:17
There are generally tentsites on top of any hill you will climb, although usually no water, and shortly after a road crossing in my experience. I agree with Jack, thousands to choose from.