PDA

View Full Version : Trampoline / Vented back systems for packs

gohawks
10-14-2008, 14:23
What are your thoughts? I'm talking about the mesh back panel systems used by some of the packs from Gregory (Z55), Osprey (Atmos), Deuter, Lowe Alpine (airzone).

Do they really keep your back cool and dry? What are the drawbacks other than the design infringing on the interior space of the bag and making packing more difficult?

Thanks.

kanga
10-14-2008, 14:26
no other drawbacks. and my deuter has so many expandable outer pockets that i really still have the same amount of room. the mesh back panels are amazing. used the deuter this summer on the conasauga, rained, muggy, ugh. my back stayed cool and my shirt wicked dry in minutes. don't really ever want a pack that doesn't have one now. looking at the jade 60 with that being one of the deciding factors.

Cuffs
10-14-2008, 14:30
I have it on my Osprey Atmos 50 and my Gregory Z65. I like having a little bit of air space, keeps me a tad cooler, and when theres a good breeze, I stop and let it cool me down even better.

In cool weather,you can put your water bladder in the air space on the Osprey pack. I dont do this in warm weather as body heat heats up the water...

Deadeye
10-14-2008, 15:24
I like the ventilation, but I still sweat like a pig under the hip belt, so I haven't found it worth the space limitations.

daddytwosticks
10-14-2008, 16:38
Yes, they work for me. My Atmos 50 keeps the sweat from building up and heading south via the old butt crack! (Sorry, way too graphic). Compared to my Conduit and my old (2003) Aether 60, the Atmos 50 is like a cool breeze. Interior space is compromised and the Atmos 50 seems like it's more fussy to use, but I like it in warmer weather.

gohawks
10-14-2008, 16:45
Confession time. I had a Z55. It was my first and only pack. I've never worn a pack that did not have the mesh back system so I don't have anything to compare it to. I loved the pack but it just did not fit right.

The med. was just a big too big and the small was just too small.

I sold it and am going for a GG Nimbus Ozone. I sweat like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest so I'm worried about how hot it will be on my back.

I wish the Z55 had an adjustable torso. I loved that pack.

dan8794
10-14-2008, 20:59
I own the z55 and love the back-cooling system. My back stays noticeably cooler compared to other parts of my body.

I don't even consider the lack of space concern as a drawback. The mesh backing did not interfere with my packing whatsoever.

I highly recommend a pack with the mesh backing...it does wonders, not just one of those "frills" included in some backpacks.

skinewmexico
10-15-2008, 00:22
The new Osprey Exos is supposed to have a better, closer to the back, less intrusive panel.

Egads
10-15-2008, 06:50
I purchased an Osprey Stratos specifically to have a small weekend pack with the mesh back. Slipping a Platy filled with ~60* water, in the air space provides cooling for a while too. It is a great improvement over carrying a rucksack style pack with my pad against my back during hot weather. However, the insulation of the pad feels good in cold weather.

jmudler
10-15-2008, 13:31
In cool weather,you can put your water bladder in the air space on the Osprey pack. I dont do this in warm weather as body heat heats up the water...

Thankss for this tip!

Blissful
10-15-2008, 13:56
I thought the Osprey I tried was hot. So did my son who carried one for the 2nd half of the trip. The newer models might be better. My gregory Jade is pretty cool.