PDA

View Full Version : Suwannee hiking

tucker0104
10-14-2008, 14:29
Has anyone hiked the Suwannee part of the florida trail near white springs? Are there any parts that you recommend?

wahoo
10-14-2008, 14:51
Yep, I like to hike from Stephen Foster State Park to the Suwannee River Diner.

Seriously, the whole section is really nice. Start out at Stephen Foster and head along the river, nice terrain and great bluffs along the water.

Looking forward to March 2009 and the Florida Trail Conference up there.

BumpJumper
10-14-2008, 17:15
How long of a hike is that Kevin? I am looking to do a nice day hike up in north Florida this next month. Something with some ups and downs. Not so much over and unders!:D

Hammock Hanger
10-14-2008, 17:44
Yep, I like to hike from Stephen Foster State Park to the Suwannee River Diner.

Seriously, the whole section is really nice. Start out at Stephen Foster and head along the river, nice terrain and great bluffs along the water.

Looking forward to March 2009 and the Florida Trail Conference up there.

I'll be doing a Backpacking Soup to Nuts course at the March conference. Not that anyone from WB needs that kind of thing, but stop by and say hello.

fehchet
10-14-2008, 18:13
There are nice day hikes around White Springs and Stephen Foster State Park.

wahoo
10-14-2008, 20:42
How long of a hike is that Kevin? I am looking to do a nice day hike up in north Florida this next month. Something with some ups and downs. Not so much over and unders!:D

To the Suwannee River Diner? Oh, I'd say about a half mile....
Just kidding, I know you mean the FT. Yep, there's ups and downs, and is some of my favorite hiking in the state. It's the linear FT running through Stephen Foster S.P. Go up the trail awhile and turn around...!
I've got some pictures stashed somewhere, I'll have to dig 'em out and post them up.

Devil's Mountain is cool....

wahoo
10-14-2008, 20:45
I'll be doing a Backpacking Soup to Nuts course at the March conference. Not that anyone from WB needs that kind of thing, but stop by and say hello.

Mind if I tag along? Sounds like fun!

BumpJumper
10-14-2008, 21:31
I am not missing it this year. I missed last year up there.:mad:

jnetx
10-16-2008, 08:54
Devil's Mountain is cool....

Except for the guy that lives at the bottom setting his 6 dogs on you as you hike through. He obviously doesn't want hikers near his property, even though that's where the trail is, and you're not actually on his property. We had to pepper spray the dogs, which I hated to do, but was scared and overwhelmed by them, and by him urging them on to harrass us.

The entire section through there is nice though. I'm thinking about going back to backpack it sometime this winter. There are a couple of nice campspots, I particularly liked the ledge at the confluence of Swift Creek. My FL Trail journal of this section starts at http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=213773

Gray Blazer
10-16-2008, 08:59
I've got some pics of the Suwannee FT near Live Oak in My WB Gallery. In particular there's a nice beach along that section.

BumpJumper
10-16-2008, 21:33
J....call the cops on that sorry ass bastard. Pepper spray his ass. What a di.. head.:mad::mad:

Mal the Elder
10-17-2008, 21:04
. . . to the dogs. Your mileage may vary, but it has always worked for me.

Oh, yes, I mean the sharp metal tooth on my hip.

Mmm, dog . . . tastes like dog!

Enjoy the BBQ,
Mal