PDA

View Full Version : Getti'n Chilly Out There!

Wise Old Owl
10-14-2008, 15:05
Here is something I woke up to in Snow Hill MD last weekend. The predicted nighttime for the weekend were 58°. I grabbed 20 degree polyester filled bag, jumped into the car and went for a great weekend. When I arrived at the campsite I pitched my hammock & tarp and hung out with friends for a great kayak trip. When we went to bed it was overcast and there was a lot of fog. I remember looking at the dash on my car and it said 59° and jumped into the bag and into the hammock. I accept a little tossing and turning and nature call at 3 AM and everything was to plan. Somewhere after 5am the light clouds vanished, the fog disappeared, and the stars came right out. The temperature plummeted! I can only guess maybe 46°? I woke up very cold; I pulled the fleece hat back on and sunk into the bag to get back to sleep. It wasn’t too bad; I have woken up to ice crystals on the bag and a frozen water bottle before. This is something that happens every night, round here and all I can guess is that the weather guy gets it wrong quite a bit. Next weekend-Altoona PA!

Would any of us had done anything different?

Hey if you want to move it fine. I sat here for five minutes and could not think of a category……

Blissful
10-14-2008, 19:25
It's warm here at 80 degrees. But supposed to get down again by the weekend, just in time for my hike. Not sure if that's good or bad. :)

Wise Old Owl
10-14-2008, 22:11
107 drive by's and 1 post - Blissful you are alright in my book!

Wags
10-14-2008, 23:29
wise we've been having the best weather ever here the past few weeks. i hit up hawk mt today for a great day's walk. the colors and migration, the slight breeze, the high of 80. this weekend's supposed to have highs in the 50's so i'd expect some frosts. WOOHOO october!

ki0eh
10-15-2008, 08:22
We went car camping with a 2yo, 2 5yo's, and a 20yo down around Damascus last weekend. Perfect weather and nice color on Wilburn Ridge.

For this evening's hike in the Borough of Hummelstown the poison ivy and Virginia creeper should be nicely colored. :)

sasquatch2014
10-15-2008, 09:25
Had good weather for Columbus day but a bit overcast. Today is to be the best day for a while high up by 70's and then dropping quickly as a front pass through and will join up with a small Nor'Easter that will bring colder temps and high winds for the weekend. Goin go try to get outside and enjoy it as much as possible.

Footslogger
10-15-2008, 10:23
Nightime temps here in Laramie are around 18-20 degrees. Brrrrr ...that's cold !!

'Slogger

Wags
10-15-2008, 10:27
kioeh you heading to the htown nature trail down by 7-11?

ki0eh
10-15-2008, 11:21
kioeh you heading to the htown nature trail down by 7-11?

Nope, the United Water Trail across the tracks, then around to look at scarecrows. http://www.satc-hike.org/hikes.html

Toolshed
10-15-2008, 12:29
Just got back from doing MD last night - temps since staurday were highs of 80's and lows in the mid -50's. Amazing weather for this time of year.
PS POGO was flowing very well.

Gray Blazer
10-15-2008, 12:35
Not trying to pop your bubble or rain on your parade........I cowboyed on the tower on Wesser Bald on Juneteenth this last summer and it got down to exactly 40 degrees. Luckily earlier that day when I stopped by Walasi-Yi to talk to Winton and show him my pics and frames, he traded me a 40 degree Mountain Crossings bag for one of my pics/frames. Worked to perfection and slept very well. Pics in my WB Gallery.

The Solemates
10-15-2008, 17:49
in denver all week. 29 when i awoke this morning at 545. warmed up to 60 or so during the day. perfect weather, perfect time of year

Wags
10-16-2008, 00:04
united water trail? is that the little pathway they put along the swatty at duke street bridge?

Homer&Marje
10-16-2008, 07:21
Been getting into the 30's here. Beautiful weather for me but I like the cold, unnaturally so. Gas is still shut off until I close the windows at least:D Camping this weekend, Don't know where. Will be bringing a sleeping bag liner though. I was also thinking about buying one of those Emergency Bivvy Sacs that they have.... seemed very interesting as a sleeping bag cover in cold weather. $15 at EMS and they look like they are made of the same heat reflective material as emergency blankets... Anyone every tried them? Crinkly noise too much for you to sleep through:-?

sasquatch2014
10-16-2008, 07:35
Been getting into the 30's here. Beautiful weather for me but I like the cold, unnaturally so. Gas is still shut off until I close the windows at least:D Camping this weekend, Don't know where. Will be bringing a sleeping bag liner though. I was also thinking about buying one of those Emergency Bivvy Sacs that they have.... seemed very interesting as a sleeping bag cover in cold weather. $15 at EMS and they look like they are made of the same heat reflective material as emergency blankets... Anyone every tried them? Crinkly noise too much for you to sleep through:-?

Used one of the emergency blankets when I lived up in Sheridan Wy. I still recall that night almost 15 years later as one of the worst nights sleep ever. Acts as a vapor barrier as well so not only is it noisy but its also damp.

Well the front came in and we have a good foggy fall morning and the temps are to be more normal for the season. I hate doing fall yard-work and sweating like its summer. The joy of this season is being a bit chilled on the tip of your nose and feeling that warmup when you take a sip of you coffee on a break out in the yard. Its not the same when you are wiping sweat out of your eyes and you just want to get an ice cold drink and cool down. I for one am looking to a good heavy frost.

ki0eh
10-16-2008, 08:03
united water trail? is that the little pathway they put along the swatty at duke street bridge?

Yes. It is about twice as long as the other trail. :D

It proved to be quite an adventure with 33 folks (including a WB-er I met for the first time), mostly 2-7 yo girls. Fortunately someone brought glowsticks!!

Gray Blazer
10-16-2008, 08:15

Before I adapted my tent to double wall, I spent the night on Big Hump. It wasn't that cold, but there was a lot of moisture and wind. Everytime the wind would pick up I would get spritzed with water (spritz is a good waiter word) every 20 seconds. Well, it was driving me nutz and soaking my blanket so I did break out the emergency blanket and it kept me dry and waterproofed my head as well. What I didn't like about it was that the aluminum coating came off on everything and I prolly inhaled some of tit.

Wags
10-16-2008, 16:49
nice man did you just park down by the water station thing? my gal and i are taking her little beagle out next weekend for a 'nature walk' and may end up walking that instead of the Htown nature trail

Homer&Marje
10-16-2008, 16:58
Before I adapted my tent to double wall, I spent the night on Big Hump. It wasn't that cold, but there was a lot of moisture and wind. Everytime the wind would pick up I would get spritzed with water (spritz is a good waiter word) every 20 seconds. Well, it was driving me nutz and soaking my blanket so I did break out the emergency blanket and it kept me dry and waterproofed my head as well. What I didn't like about it was that the aluminum coating came off on everything and I prolly inhaled some of tit.

Other good waiter words, procure, misconstrue, expediently, and who could forget, "I don't know how the kitchen got that wrong"

All good advice on the Emergency blankets, but has anyone used one of these new emergency bivvy's. Again, probably the humidity would be the issue if it is the same material as the emergency blanket, Will have to do more research.

.....Sorry hun, have to go to EMS:D It's an "Emergency"

saimyoji
10-16-2008, 18:05
Other good waiter words, procure, misconstrue, expediently, and who could forget, "I don't know how the kitchen got that wrong"

All good advice on the Emergency blankets, but has anyone used one of these new emergency bivvy's. Again, probably the humidity would be the issue if it is the same material as the emergency blanket, Will have to do more research.

.....Sorry hun, have to go to EMS:D It's an "Emergency"

hey. haven't seen you on here lately. been out hikin'? :sun

ki0eh
10-16-2008, 19:25
nice man did you just park down by the water station thing? my gal and i are taking her little beagle out next weekend for a 'nature walk' and may end up walking that instead of the Htown nature trail

There is a moderately sized parking lot well labeled across Duke St from the old stone building (and the trail). Watch out for poison-ivy...

Homer&Marje
10-16-2008, 20:39
hey. haven't seen you on here lately. been out hikin'? :sun

Actually yes. Plan on hiking all through the winter. Colder weather, .... cools me down. Much less apt for, things like arguing.

B . E. A. Utiful outside right now, nice gusts of 20 mph and about 45 F.

Who can ask for more?

buz
10-20-2008, 08:58
18 boy scouts and 5 dads went out this past weekend to Minister Creek in the Allegheny National forest. three mile hike into very unique geological area. Beautiful weather, but was chilly Sat night. Camped right next to creek in deep valley, 22 on an adults watch thermometer, however accurate that is. The tube on my bladder was frozen solid thou, so it for sure was below 32, lol, and the creek was really steaming sunday am.

LIhikers
10-20-2008, 09:27
The wife and I hiked the AT into NY's Harriman State Park and camped near Island Pond. Woke up in the morning to find the water in our dog's bowl frozen. But, it was a GREAT weekend to be in the woods!

Lone Wolf
10-22-2008, 13:05
snow at Jay Peak today. damn! i wish i was livin' there again http://www.jaypeakresort.com/en/jay_peak/

Lone Wolf
10-22-2008, 14:54
snow at Jay Peak today. damn! i wish i was livin' there again http://www.jaypeakresort.com/en/jay_peak/

http://weblog.jaypeakresort.com/wp-content/uploads/10-17snow.jpg

Marta
10-22-2008, 14:57

Go up for a visit?