PDA

View Full Version : Lee, MA to North Adams, MA... or possibly Bennington, VT

mnof1000v
10-14-2008, 16:04
I'm heading out next week (Nov. 22-24), hiking North from Lee, MA. I know the trail from Lee to Dalton is relatively easy, so I've got some options as to how far I can/will travel. I'm planning on stopping in North Adams, but I'm leaving open the possibility that I could go as far as Bennington, VT. So, that being said, I have a couple basic questions...

How are trail conditions in this section? (ie - muddy, dry, lots of blowdowns, etc.)
Are there any GREAT places to check out that I might not have readily heard about?
And, what's the foliage like in that area right now?

Let me know.

Thanks!:banana

Christopher Robin
10-14-2008, 16:28
This is a great section to do if you have time I would go all the way to VT. 9.

Quoddy
10-14-2008, 16:43
Do you mean THIS weekend?

I couldn't join Earlylight (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42118&highlight=earlylight) for his hike from Dalton to Rt 9 last weekend, but the trail conditions are near perfect right now. Foliage is right at peak, but may be just past peak by the weekend. An early start at Rt 20 near Lee should get you to the Kay Wood shelter which is normally lightly used and very scenic. It's a real stretch at this time of year to make it all the way to Rt 9 if you have only 3 days... 4 is more normal. Blow downs have never been a problem on this stretch of trail. Since this is only a short time frame, you'll pretty much see what you need to see while on the trail and it's not really necessary to go off trail looking for things. Have a great hike.

rafe
10-14-2008, 16:46
Upper Goose Pond is a worthy (1/2 mile) side trip. I don't know if the "cabin" is still open. I hear they serve a great breakfast.

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2008, 17:29
First of, you'll probably enjoy Williamstown more than North Adams. Very nice college town, lots to see, plenty of places to eat, great coffee shop, very friendly Public Library. North Adams is much bigger and all spread out.

There's a great big supermarket a few tenths of a mile from the Trail at the Rt. 2 crossing.
It's a few tenths of a mile west, going towards Williamstown.

And the very nice folks at the Mountain Goat outfitter shop in Williamstown will let you camp for free behind the store if you ask.

In Dalton, try and meet Tom Levardi, Rob Bird, or both of them. Great people who've been helping out hikers for years.

The section of Trail from Rt. 2 to Bennington is very pretty; try and do it if you have the time.

rickb
10-14-2008, 18:10
are there any GREAT places to check out that I might not have readily heard about?

The Cheshire Cheese Monument is a highlight of any trip. ;)

sasquatch2014
10-14-2008, 21:52
Its just off to the side of the trail on your Right going north to the Cobbles above Cheshire. If it works for you this would be a great spot to hang out for a bit. It is a great view up and down the valley and it also has a clear shot across the valley of Mt Greylock. I spent an enjoyable evening up here last year a bit earlier in Oct than you will hit it. It is a Fantastic spot.

Goose Pond should be closed for the year by this point and it is also south of where he is planing to start. Its south of Rt 20 and Lee.

1Pint
10-14-2008, 23:16
Goose Pond should be closed for the year by this point and it is also south of where he is planing to start. Its south of Rt 20 and Lee.

I was just there Labor Day weekend and I'd swear I heard that Upper Goose Pond cabin should be open on the weekends in October. If you can, time your trip hit there the weekend the firefighters take over for an annual gathering (I think the caretaker told me it was the 3rd or 4th weekend of Oct) and cook and share all their food with anyone lucky enough to stumble through.

Anyone else know if this is right? Maybe the responsible club could verify the weekend deal. Good luck!

sasquatch2014
10-15-2008, 08:52
It may be open on the weekend but it still will place it South of Lee. Not by a lot but if you start your section at Rt 20 it is still the opposite direction by a mile or so to the turnoff.

Quoddy
10-15-2008, 15:54
I just took this photo at 3:45PM today (Wednesday) from my front yard. The ridge in the photo is the north end of the Taconic Ridge which is the parallel ridge just west of the AT/LT about halfway between Williamstown and Bennington. As you can see the colors are about maxed out and some are beginning to turn to russet and dark gold.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/Quoddy1/AutumnonSmithRoad.jpg?t=1224100403

Cosmo
10-16-2008, 19:22
We are closing the Cabin for the season this Sunday Oct 19th. Meeting at the Beaver Storage parking lot on Rt 20 at 1pm.

Cosmo

I was just there Labor Day weekend and I'd swear I heard that Upper Goose Pond cabin should be open on the weekends in October. If you can, time your trip hit there the weekend the firefighters take over for an annual gathering (I think the caretaker told me it was the 3rd or 4th weekend of Oct) and cook and share all their food with anyone lucky enough to stumble through.

Anyone else know if this is right? Maybe the responsible club could verify the weekend deal. Good luck!