PDA

View Full Version : quick bump box question

2009ThruHiker
10-14-2008, 16:51
For packages and bump boxes that are sent to Post Offices...can you telephone the Post Office and have them forward these packages / boxes to another P.O. or do u need to be in person to deal with this?
thanks!

wrongway_08
10-14-2008, 16:57
yes, as long as you send them priority.

Nest
10-14-2008, 17:03
In theory, yes. Unfortunately I know of a couple hikers who the PO wouldn't forward the package for them over the phone. They had to abandon the package and just hope the PO eventually sends it back to the return address when no one claims the package at the end of the year.

max patch
10-14-2008, 17:12
In theory, yes. Unfortunately I know of a couple hikers who the PO wouldn't forward the package for them over the phone. They had to abandon the package and just hope the PO eventually sends it back to the return address when no one claims the package at the end of the year.

Its been a few years since my thru so perhaps the po policies may have changed, but I was able to use a change of address card to bounce my packages ahead when I decided to bypass a town I had originally planned to stop at.

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2008, 17:23
If you're going to do this, it's always best to use the official change of address card.

Some P.O. employees will forward stuff over the phone, but some won't. According to regulations, they are NOT supposed to do this without having a filled-out change of adress card, so if you're ever told that they can't do it for you over the phone, be aware that they're only following the rules. The main reason they do this is (i.e. don't send stuff to a new address without a form) is so that your stuff is reasonably protected, and it makes it tougher for someone to re-route or tamper with your mail. Having a signd card is a protection for the Post Office, as well as a protection for YOU.

Footslogger
10-14-2008, 17:39
For packages and bump boxes that are sent to Post Offices...can you telephone the Post Office and have them forward these packages / boxes to another P.O. or do u need to be in person to deal with this?
thanks!
=========================

I found that it varied a little depending on the size of the town. But in general (as has already been mentioned) if you use Priority Mail you can call the Post Office and ask them to "push" the box to another Post Office up the trail.

'Slogger

2009ThruHiker
10-14-2008, 18:27
If you're going to do this, it's always best to use the official change of address card.

Some P.O. employees will forward stuff over the phone, but some won't. According to regulations, they are NOT supposed to do this without having a filled-out change of adress card, so if you're ever told that they can't do it for you over the phone, be aware that they're only following the rules. The main reason they do this is (i.e. don't send stuff to a new address without a form) is so that your stuff is reasonably protected, and it makes it tougher for someone to re-route or tamper with your mail. Having a signd card is a protection for the Post Office, as well as a protection for YOU.

How long does this change of address card take b4 the package in question will be forwarded???...is it a standard change of address card where 2 weeks is the wait time?

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2008, 18:49
It takes awhile for the card to get to its destination at the next P.O., so I'd give it at least a week. (In other words. don't use a card to "bump" something only three days ahead or you might get there before your mail). And if there's a weekend or holiday involved, give it even more time. Also, if time is an issue, mail stuff as early in the morning as possible. Something dropped in the mail will travel farther if mailed at 10 AM than it will if you mail it at 4.

wrongway_08
10-15-2008, 15:45
Never knew anyone on the trail this year (that I hiked with) not being able to just call up and get it bounced.

Nest
10-15-2008, 17:19
Never knew anyone on the trail this year (that I hiked with) not being able to just call up and get it bounced.

Yeah, happened 2 or 3 times. The PO in North Woodstock, NH was where one happened that I am sure of. I was there when the hiker was on the phone trying to figure something out. Neither of us knew about the whole change of address thing, so they had to abandon their package.

Peaks
10-15-2008, 17:52
Jack's advise seems to suggest that if you are going to use a bounce box, then bounce it ahead at least a week or 100 miles at a time.