PDA

View Full Version : the doyle hotel question (unanswered)

lunchbx
10-14-2008, 18:56
Hey I looked at thier website and see the daily room charge has since gone up. I was wonderin if anyone knew the monthly charge, or if the even still allow monthly rentals there. Ill proll just end up callin them personally but if anyone who has stayed there on a monthly basis in the past can tell me what they paid so i can compare past and present prices that would be great. thanks guys hike on!

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2008, 19:25
Call Vicki at (717) 834-6789 and you'll have an answer to your question in about 30 seconds.

Lone Wolf
10-14-2008, 20:07
Hey I looked at thier website and see the daily room charge has since gone up. I was wonderin if anyone knew the monthly charge, or if the even still allow monthly rentals there. Ill proll just end up callin them personally but if anyone who has stayed there on a monthly basis in the past can tell me what they paid so i can compare past and present prices that would be great. thanks guys hike on!

why on earth would you want to stay there for more than 1 night let alone a month? seriously

Bilko
10-14-2008, 21:06
lunchbx didn't ask if anyone liked the place, he didn't ask anyone if they wanted to stay there, he asked a straight forward question. Jack gave him information so that he could find his answer.

The Doyle is a great establishment. Hard working people that go out of their way to provide hikers with a nice experience. They are not a chain, nor are they a hostel. They provide many hikers an opportunity to eat, drink, have a good time and stay overnight if they so desire. The place is old, which adds to the atmosphere. Charging more money may help the owners update the place a little. Let's be a little more supportive of those many many people along the trail that allow many of us to continue to hike. They are by no means trying to rip people off. They are trying to make a living by serving hikers. It is very hard work and it is very hard to make any profit off hikers. Ask the many people that have worked years and years to provide service to hikers. They can tell you how hard it is. The AT would not be the same without The Doyle.

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2008, 21:36
Bilko:

Nice post.

Lone Wolf
10-14-2008, 21:46
lunchbx didn't ask if anyone liked the place, he didn't ask anyone if they wanted to stay there, he asked a straight forward question. Jack gave him information so that he could find his answer.

The Doyle is a great establishment. Hard working people that go out of their way to provide hikers with a nice experience. They are not a chain, nor are they a hostel. They provide many hikers an opportunity to eat, drink, have a good time and stay overnight if they so desire. The place is old, which adds to the atmosphere. Charging more money may help the owners update the place a little. Let's be a little more supportive of those many many people along the trail that allow many of us to continue to hike. They are by no means trying to rip people off. They are trying to make a living by serving hikers. It is very hard work and it is very hard to make any profit off hikers. Ask the many people that have worked years and years to provide service to hikers. They can tell you how hard it is. The AT would not be the same without The Doyle.
you didn't answer lunchbx's question. you're on a tangent. :)

Newb
10-15-2008, 08:00
with about $2m in renovations the Doyle would be a palace.

max patch
10-15-2008, 08:03
[QUOTE=Bilko;710395The AT would not be the same without The Doyle.[/QUOTE]

Lets not get carried away.

Chaco Taco
10-15-2008, 08:06
One of the places that stands out the most on my hike is The Doyle. I know its a bit run down but that adds to its draw. Its no comfort inn, but it has beds, really awesome showers, great food and cool people. The At would not be the same with out it. I carried one of the free drink coins all the way and still have it in my wallet.

Lone Wolf
10-15-2008, 09:37
The At would not be the same with out it.

hotels, motels, hostels and restaurants come and go and are a dime- a- dozen along the AT. i'm pretty sure the AT would be just fine if it closed

Serial 07
10-15-2008, 09:38
i too still have a free drink coin from there...hopefully this market plunge will not effect it's value...what is the dollar to yellow coin trading at these days?

the doyle is great...my concern is what are you going to be doing in duncannon for a month? to me, that sounds like where the trouble begins...

rhjanes
10-15-2008, 10:14
with about $2m in renovations the Doyle would be a palace.

Maybe they can sell themselves to an investment bank, fold the note into about 50 more, and then get some federal buy-out funds!!! We could be living large then!!! :D;)

Chaco Taco
10-15-2008, 10:23
hotels, motels, hostels and restaurants come and go and are a dime- a- dozen along the AT. i'm pretty sure the AT would be just fine if it closed
Well, for me Wolf, the AT would not be the same without it:cool:

Lone Wolf
10-15-2008, 10:45
funny how bars and hostels and such are more revered than the actual walking path :-?

Gray Blazer
10-15-2008, 10:48
funny how bars and hostels and such are more revered than the actual walking path :-?

HHHhhmmmmmnnn........... Good point.

Chaco Taco
10-15-2008, 11:25
Thats not true and I didnt say that. I didnt even stay at the doyle, tented at the park. Im just sayin, its a neat stop along the trail.

Lone Wolf
10-15-2008, 11:39
if it din't serve alcohol and allow smoking there would be no draw. just sayin'

Serial 07
10-15-2008, 11:41
neither would dot's...except for pam-cakes of course...that's my girl!

Skyline
10-15-2008, 12:05
if it din't serve alcohol and allow smoking there would be no draw. just sayin'

I thought Pennsylvania recently outlawed smoking in bars and restaurants.

Lone Wolf
10-15-2008, 12:07

that would be a great thing

bloodmountainman
10-15-2008, 12:11
that would be a great thing
More suppression of freedom is a "great thing"?:confused:

Lone Wolf
10-15-2008, 12:12
More suppression of freedom is a "great thing"?:confused:

you're a smoker

max patch
10-15-2008, 12:23

Theres a loophole in those laws. Restaurants and bars can choose to keep smoking as long as no one under 18 is allowed inside for any reason; this includes eating, drinking, or working.

jersey joe
10-15-2008, 12:25
Seriously, why would you want to stay at the Doyle for a month? Wait out an injury? I'd be curious if they even allowed a month stay.

And I agree with Lone Wolf...No smoking in bars is a GREAT THING...allowing my FREEDOM to not smell like an ashtray.

beeman
10-15-2008, 12:45
I've never been to the Doyle but hope to get there one day simply to see what it's like.
Sorry, I don't smoke and I think every infringement on us is a little less freedom. I don't think the way to keep us all safe is to take away incremental pieces of our freedom. I remember the days when I could walk through a gate and get on a plane without walking through any thing like a metal detector, or halfway disrobe, or give up my ability to cut a piece of cheese with my pocket knife, or file my fingernails, or carry my booze onboard, or bring my own food and drink onboard. In fact I remember as a very young man, you could take your unloaded firearm on the plane in a locked bag. If you think giving up your freedoms is making you safer in this world, I think you are deluded.
I also remember when there were smoking and nonsmoking sections for those who "didn't want to smell like an ashtray". I always felt that was what showers and washing machines were for. Or you could exercise your right to just not walk in.
We will soon be like the lobsters put in a pot of cold water which is then turned up to boiling. We never realize we were cooked!

Just Sayin.:o

Kirby
10-15-2008, 13:27
I spent a day there recovering from food poisoning, very nice people.

Kirby

Manach
10-15-2008, 13:36
Kirby, how'd you come down with food poisoning?

Alligator
10-15-2008, 13:53
Anyone who can actually answer the OP's question, there's a thread in Straight Forward for it.

Please don't derail this thread by answering the question here:D.

Sly
10-15-2008, 15:41

Only a few establishments along the trail have been there, open to hikers, since the trail has existed, the Doyle being one of them.

Kirby
10-24-2008, 15:08
Kirby, how'd you come down with food poisoning?

Ate at a pizza place in town that apparently fails health inspections on a regular basis, I just did not catch this rumor.

Kirby

rafe
10-24-2008, 16:38
Jack Tarlin told an amusing if rather morbid tale about a long-term resident at the Doyle, at the 2007 Gathering around the bonfire. (Lone Wolf presumably missed the story or had heard it before.) Anyway, from my own experience and from Jack's story -- I wouldn't personally look forward to an extended stay. It was fine for one night. Kinda like a lot of (or most) other places I've stayed at along the AT.

Deadeye
10-24-2008, 18:52
My vote's with the Beeman - freedom's being redefined a bit at a time. Everytime you get something from the government, the price is you give up a peice of your freedom. (BTW - I quit smoking, do wear seatbelts and helmets whether it's required or not, and drink as much as possible. I love mom and apple pie, support our troops, respect women, and drive fast cars. I fish but don't hunt. Still straight as far as I know, don't wear stupid "support our cause" ribbons.)

Siegeofmalta
10-24-2008, 19:03
When I thru hike I sure will stay there one night at least. Wow, Warren Doyle is a great AT promoter and hiker.

lunchbx
10-24-2008, 19:30
wow I love when my posts turn into a semi political/debate on freedom. I agree with everyone here. freedom isnt free but that doesnt mean it should be taken away. as far as me staying at the doyle, I am semi homeless and have just taken a job working between harrisburg and lebanon driving around a lot. I dont think i want to bother getting an apartment but am still considering it. since staying at the doyle would just mean that much more driving for me. I personally love duncannon, dont ask me why, maybe cause I'm a simple guy and love the simplicity that is the town of duncannon in general. Pat and Vikky are great, and of course trail angel mary is well, an angel. I figured if there were a place i would want to spend my off days from work it would be there. either way i got a pm from vikky and she answered my question in full, I most likely wont stay there and will find a cheap apartment closer to Lancaster since i found I'll be working there more, but you will definatley find me in duncannon once ina while drinking away my time in simple small town bliss

Kirby
10-24-2008, 21:03
When I thru hike I sure will stay there one night at least. Wow, Warren Doyle is a great AT promoter and hiker.

No relation, I believe.

Kirby

sbennett
10-25-2008, 00:51
I also remember when there were smoking and nonsmoking sections for those who "didn't want to smell like an ashtray". I always felt that was what showers and washing machines were for.

Did I miss something or can washing machines wash the lung cancer off our lungs put there by second-hand smoke?