PDA

View Full Version : I heart my trail runners.

WetBottom
10-14-2008, 21:36
I've been waiting to say something about my latest acquisition. I was afraid it wasn't going to be worth the money (money I didn't really have to spend...).

I switched from an older version of this http://www.merrell.com/Product/NZGP/Womens-Active-Footwear/Hiking/Womens/Chameleon-Arc-Stretch.aspx to these http://www.rei.com/product/771939?preferredSku=7719390077&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7719390077&mr:trackingCode=A477AD0D-8A98-DD11-873B-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Not only are they fashionably pink, they make my feet so much happier. I definately think shoes are a very individual thing, and someone else may find opposite results, but I wanted to give some love to my trail runners.

They have even inspired me to take up some jogging. They feel so light and springy it's hard to not want to take some springy steps.

Finally, I've found a good use for the dancing banana.

:banana

Greb
10-14-2008, 22:20
Hehe I too found a solid 'foot system' finally. I had been wearing my clunky Columbia boots. Though I ran long distance in high school and then lots of running in college I never tried New Balance ( I was an Asics man). WOW! Never realized I needed a wider shoe till I used my New Balance shoes. Comibining these shoes, Smartwool crew socks and a nice insole I feel like I am walking on air. I went out today to test them out with a short walk... ended up doing about 7 miles! Yeah!

I <3 my new shoes too!

pistol p
10-17-2010, 23:39
Trail runners are , IMO, the way to go. A very versatile shoe. I've used them above treeline in the Rockys, , the sands of the Kalalau Trail, and the rain soaked trails of Minnesota's north shore. New Balance MT876 have been my best friend this year.

p.s.- it is always a great feeling when you get to use the dancing banana.

Driver8
10-18-2010, 02:01
Just bought some Vibram Five Fingers a few weeks ago. Am breaking them/my feet in - doing the stair-climber at the gym, elliptical too, and did yoga in them Saturday. Loved the feeling the first time I slipped them on. Plan to road test them soon. Recently read MacDougall's "Born to Run" and am adjusting my stride to a ball-first strike, with helpful results so far for my left foot plantar fascitis.

When I went to try them on, I was skeptical, until I slipped them on my feet. Once I'd put them on, they felt so good I didn't want to take them off. :)

Helios
10-18-2010, 02:29
I used to deal with blisters, thinking it's just a part of backpacking. I switched to trail runners and haven't had a blister since! Definitely been a worthwhile switch for me!!

Driver8
10-18-2010, 07:55
I used to deal with blisters, thinking it's just a part of backpacking. I switched to trail runners and haven't had a blister since! Definitely been a worthwhile switch for me!!

Non-cotton socks are also awesome. :)

Helios
10-18-2010, 09:10
Non-cotton socks are also awesome. :)

Non-cotton socks are a requirement!

Wuff
10-27-2010, 17:25
Are trail runners advisable for a thru-hike? I am currently weighing the pros and cons of boots and trail runners and would love to know what you all thought. I'm leaning trail runner. If there's a previous thread on this I missed, point me there..

BrianLe
10-27-2010, 18:24
I was a bit taken aback when a thru-hiker I knew from another trail suggested I wear boots on the AT; as a point of reference he was happy with trail runners on the PCT and CDT. But I didn't think about it too long, and was happy in trail runners thru-hiking the AT this year (I assume by "thru-hike" that you mean the AT given the context ...).

At least one of my hiking partners (a guy that also generally wears trail runners) was happy with goretex light hiking boots in the Smokies in March of this year, but trail runners worked for me there too.

Bottom line is that, IMO, if you're happy with trail runners elsewhere I'd use 'em on the AT too and not worry about the (completely true) reports about lots of rocks and tree roots and such.

The one caveat I would make is that for the most northerly states (NH, ME) I'd look for a model (shoes or boots) that offers better than average traction on smooth rock.

Danielsen
10-29-2010, 07:31
Are trail runners advisable for a thru-hike? I am currently weighing the pros and cons of boots and trail runners and would love to know what you all thought. I'm leaning trail runner. If there's a previous thread on this I missed, point me there..

Weighing your pack (or expected gear setup) may be just as important as the pros and cons. ;) Many people thru with trail runners. Whether you should or not depends on how well your feet/legs handle a given load, specifically the load you plan on carrying from trail's start to trail's end.