PDA

View Full Version : US 19E to Dennis Cove Road

Mocs123
10-14-2008, 22:21
I am planning on hiking this section in a few weeks and was curious as to the water situation on this section, as well as as campsites, though not on the map, that might help break this section up into more manageable days ( I hate to hike 18 miles to Moreland Gap Shelter ). I know they have done some relocations on this section lately, is there anything I should know that isn't in the 2005 Map/Book Set?

Thanks for your help

Tennessee Viking
10-14-2008, 22:53
Water can get a little low on the back part of it. I sectioned part of it last year during the drought, it was DRY with a lot of trees dying.

But usually the best sources are Jones Falls, Elk River/Sugar Hollow, Mountaineer Falls, Slide Hollow, upper Laurel Fork, and Moreland Gap.

As for campsites, there are a few small sites from Bishops Hollow to Campbell Hollow Road. I wouldn't recommend these since they are fairly close to roads/houses & a lot of loose dogs around there. On an old AT route, the trail used to follow Campbell Hollow to the end and go through a forest gate to a large campsite along Jones Branch. Its more a party spot now, and is awkward bushwhack over to the trail.

The first good campsite would be at Sugar Hollow/Elk River. The Elk River relocation around Big Pine Mtn is open. There is a blue blaze campsite near Mountaineer Falls & MF shelter. MF Shelter opened 2006, and is just a quarter mile north of the Falls/2.5 from the road. 2 platforms and a loft with Mountaineer Bear watching over the shelter. There is a slightly hidden campsite at Slide Hollow before climbing up to Walnut Mtn Road. Abby's Hostel is closed. Then there is the Upper Laurel Fork crossing. Moreland Gap Shelter. A large grassy meadow at Canute Place, where the old firetower was.

Mocs123
10-15-2008, 08:54
Thanks for your great up to date water information as always Biliwyf. I will have to cross refrence your list with my maps when I get to the house this evening. Is there a campsite/camping spot near Laurel Fork? It seems like that would make a more manageable 12-13 mile day.

Lone Wolf
10-15-2008, 12:15
Thanks for your great up to date water information as always Biliwyf. I will have to cross refrence your list with my maps when I get to the house this evening. Is there a campsite/camping spot near Laurel Fork? It seems like that would make a more manageable 12-13 mile day.

laurel fork is beyond dennis cove road

Christus Cowboy
10-15-2008, 12:34
I am planning on hiking this section in a few weeks and was curious as to the water situation on this section, as well as as campsites, though not on the map, that might help break this section up into more manageable days ( I hate to hike 18 miles to Moreland Gap Shelter ). I know they have done some relocations on this section lately, is there anything I should know that isn't in the 2005 Map/Book Set?

Thanks for your help

There is one significant update on this section since 2005 which should help you. There has been the new Mountaineer Falls shelter that has been built and would allow you to break up your hike to more manageable segments if you wish. I believe this shelter is probably about 10 miles from 19E which would allow you to take a shorter day to Moreland Gap or if you get an early start out the Mountaineer you could make it to Dennis Cove on the second day.... I did this section over Memorial Day and unless I'm mistaken I believe the Sugar Hollow water source in on the opposite side of 19E closer to Doll Flats however I found water at Laurel Fork, Jones Falls, the Mountaineer Falls shelter and Moreland Gap. Granted some of these sources were low but still flowing.

Mocs123
10-15-2008, 13:52
If I remember correctly, this segment is about 23 miles long. I would love to hike 13 miles on Saturday and 10miles on Sunday if possible.

Christus Cowboy
10-15-2008, 14:44
If I remember correctly, this segment is about 23 miles long. I would love to hike 13 miles on Saturday and 10miles on Sunday if possible.

If your numbers are correct and you want to stay at the new shelter your mileage would be reversed with 10 miles on your first day and 13 on the second. I like to tent but the Mountaineer Falls shelter is a really nice one. If you don't like staying in shelters you can tent 2/10s of mile before you get to the shelter.

Mocs123
10-15-2008, 15:32
Thanks for the help, I didn't even know it existed. I may have to stay there. How is the water source and is it well labeled?

Tennessee Viking
10-15-2008, 18:27
Sugar Hollow is that small branch crossing at the Elk River campsite where the trail used to run through.

laurel fork is beyond dennis cove road
There is a upper portion of Laurel Fork inbetween USFS 293 and Walnut Mountain Road. There are two bridge crossings in that area of Bitter End before the trail climbs up Whiterocks.

Thanks for the help, I didn't even know it existed. I may have to stay there. How is the water source and is it well labeled?
The water at Mountaineer shelter is the falls itself. The shelter trail continues up to the top of the falls. If its fairly shallow, you will want to come back around to the bottom of the falls, and collect it as it falls of the rockface. If its a strong flow, you can even get a shower in if its not too cold. I would recommend bringing earplugs. When I was at the shelter last, I was waking up to falling acorns on the metal roof all night. And be sure to grab a photo op with the shelter bear (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19273&catid=member&imageuser=12416).

You do have a bit of a climb at the start with Bear Branch and Bishops Hollow. But once you hit High Point then its mostly downhill to the Elk River, then round Big Pine and all its hollows.