PDA

View Full Version : While in your hammock, where do you store your gear?

key
10-14-2008, 22:31
Quick question: Where do you store your gear while in your hammock?

When using a tent, I normally keep mine split between my tent and the vestibule.

Cheers,
Key

papa john
10-14-2008, 22:41
Generally what I don't need goes back in my pack and I hand it on one of the trees that I am hanging from. Stuff I may need during the night is in the peapod, hanging from my hiking poles (planted next to me) or in my shoes (under the hammock on the ground).

Reid
10-14-2008, 22:41
Like everything else, the conditions predict the measure you take. If in a hammock, throw a t-bag on it and hang it up. I use large tarps say 9x9 so somtimes I just drop it where it is. If you feel you've got a problem, just get up and fix it.

Reid
10-14-2008, 22:43
And I'll be trying the pole setup next time as papa just mentioned.

FanaticFringer
10-14-2008, 23:48
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4470&highlight=store

bigcranky
10-15-2008, 08:09
I usually hammock in warm weather, so there's not much extra gear once I'm in for the night. My pack hangs from the suspension lines against one of the trees, with a pack cover over it. Shoes, cook kit, and any extra clothes go inside the pack. Everything else is inside the hammock with me.

KG4FAM
10-15-2008, 08:35
Any extra clothes go in a stuff sack inside with me. The backpack is hung at the head of the hammockby the sternum strap and hipbelt.

sasquatch2014
10-15-2008, 08:49
Yet another reason that I love my Clark NA model. with the six storage pockets I have plenty of room to keep stuff up and off the ground away from many little critters that love to chew. I hang my food bag separately so that I don't become a bear pinata. In my hammock goes anything I want for the night, Headlamp, water, book, journals etc.

Time To Fly 97
10-15-2008, 09:35
I just got a Jacks R Better pack cover that doubles as a hanging storage "peapod" and attaches to my Hennessey (to mainline and side line). Tried it for the first time this weekend and love it. I wouldn't put any weight in it, just clothes, boots, etc. It hangs out of the way of the entrance, yet I can still reach items in it from inside the hammock.

My pack was under the hammock/tarp and up on some sticks so it wouldn't get wet if it rained.

Happy hiking!

TTF

JaxHiker
10-15-2008, 09:57
TTF, how'd the JRB gear pack work with the Hennessy? I've looked at it before but what I do for my boots is run a line from the foot suspension line to the side tie-out. This seems to bring the side in more than I'd prefer so I have to put more tension on the tie-out line. Just curious if there's a similar issue with the JRB.

Manach
10-15-2008, 13:39
Gear hammock with little stuff clipped to the ridgeline on carabiners.

Tobiah
10-26-2008, 19:11
I use a homemade hammock with a ridgeline, and made a miniature version of the hammock that hangs on the foot side of center. It's easily reached by sitting up, and holds everything I might need in the middle of the night, as well as my shoes.

Bulldawg
10-26-2008, 19:46
I use a homemade hammock with a ridgeline, and made a miniature version of the hammock that hangs on the foot side of center. It's easily reached by sitting up, and holds everything I might need in the middle of the night, as well as my shoes.

Nice idea! What does it weigh, how it is designed, pictures?

take-a-knee
10-26-2008, 20:48
Nice idea! What does it weigh, how it is designed, pictures?

The JRB Gear Hammock:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Jeffs%20Gear%20Hammock-Pack%20Cover.htm

Tobiah
10-27-2008, 17:19
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

This is the page I got the idea from... you can customize & use your imagination to develop it. I use a ridgeline, meaning I tie one continuous climber's strap from tree-to-tree, and hook the hammock to pre-tied loops in the strap with carabiners hooked through the whipped ends...

Coupla notes: The whipping must be TIGHT! More sag is better for comfort (tying it up too tight makes the sides draw in over you). I used climbers strap for strength, and it was cheaper than Spectra. However, it is significantly heavier. I leave the hammock clipped to the strap, and shove the whole thing in a waterproof stuff sack. Dimensions: about 6"x10"x3"; weight: about 3lbs. The tarp is stuffed in the bottom of my pack where it can fill in the edges which would normally not get used.

The mini-hammock is made the same as the full sized one, without the need for extra strength. I sewed three courdra loops onto the strap so I can hang it on whichever end I end up putting my feet.