PDA

View Full Version : Palmetto Trail

tucker0104
10-15-2008, 14:29
Has anyone hiked any of the Palmetto Trail?

Gray Blazer
10-15-2008, 21:08
Where's that?

Texasgirl
10-15-2008, 22:54
There's a Palmetto State Park in Texas and I thought, "THAT Palmetto Trail, no way!"... But no, there's one in S Carolina. According to S.C. trail programs website: The Palmetto Trail, when finished, will be a 425+ mile recreational trail that traverses the state of South Carolina. The Trail will begin at Oconee State Park in the upstate and end north of Charleston on the coast.

dan8794
10-15-2008, 22:55
I'm from SC and want to start hiking it. However, it is not completed yet. There are sections of it done, but are not connected.

http://www.sctrails.net/TRAILS/ALLTRAILS/Palmetto%20Trail/PALMETTO%20TRAIL.html

Apparently, the trail transverses streets as well as woodland/mountains/swamps. Someone told me that a portion of the trail goes down the sidewalks of Columbia, SC...the state capital. I thought that was pretty neat.

dismalhiker
10-16-2008, 22:01
this will be a great trail that crosses sc but i dont know when it will be complete. this is a must hike when it is done though. has anyone heard when it might be done?

Tony
11-10-2008, 21:35
Anyone interested, I will traversing the Swamp Fox Passage portion of the Palmetto Trail over our Thanksgiving Weekend break. Leaving out from the Canal Recreation Area heading toward Charleston. Wanting to hit the whole thing doing a round about. Trip dates are from 26 November to 1 December. Dependent upon how far I make it by Saturday will determine where I turnaround.

ranfreem
11-11-2008, 00:05
we were west of hwy 17 last week lots of mosquitoes

Tony
11-11-2008, 00:07
Guess I will be packing some bug juice then....LOL

Marta
11-11-2008, 07:50
we were west of hwy 17 last week lots of mosquitoes

Yuck! And here I was thinking I was being dumb by planning to go into the cold, cold mountains over Thanksgiving.

SassyWindsor
11-11-2008, 10:32
A while back I was told the trail completion was being held up in courts by land owners (with help from some SC politicians) who didn't want the kind of "Rift-Raft" associated with a hiking trail coming thru/near their property. What a JOKE.

Bolo
02-22-2009, 18:21
Completed a 9 mile hike on the High Hills of Santee section of the Palmetto Trail yesterday. Began at Mill Creek County Park and finished up at Poinsett State Park. The first half was almost ankle deep sand (yes, this part of South Carolina used to be the ocean!). Second half was beautiful...lots of Spanish Moss draping the trees. Great time of year to hike the lowcountry cause there are no bugs!

trippclark
02-22-2009, 20:16
Completed a 9 mile hike on the High Hills of Santee section of the Palmetto Trail yesterday. Began at Mill Creek County Park and finished up at Poinsett State Park. The first half was almost ankle deep sand (yes, this part of South Carolina used to be the ocean!). Second half was beautiful...lots of Spanish Moss draping the trees. Great time of year to hike the lowcountry cause there are no bugs!

So THAT'S where you were. I heard were hiking yesterday. I hiked that area about 9 -10 years ago. It is nice, and more challenging than you might expect.