PDA

View Full Version : Guides vs. Maps

itsallgoodchuck
10-15-2008, 16:51
What is the difference between the trail map set and trail guide sets sold by the ATC?
Do the guides include the same maps jus more info?
thanks

Blissful
10-15-2008, 16:55
Gudebooks are indepth books taking you step by step along the trail, where to turn, thngs you will see, etc. along with describing other trails in the area. Maps are separate from the guidebook. IMO - maps are all you need if you are taking a trail data book, handbook, or companion.

weary
10-15-2008, 17:10
What is the difference between the trail map set and trail guide sets sold by the ATC?
Do the guides include the same maps jus more info?
thanks
The guides are books with details about the trail. The guide sets, include the maps. The guide sets usually go on sale next month. Then you can buy the guides, plus the maps, for almost the price of the maps alone.

Most hikers don't carry both the guide books and the maps. But the guides are great for planning a long distance hike, and for a permanent record of the trail as it mostly was when you walked it.

Weary

itsallgoodchuck
10-16-2008, 11:03
Thank you. So if I was planning a thru hike in 2010 and would like the extra info of the guide books would it be best to wait until November 09 to buy them if they go on sale?

KG4FAM
10-16-2008, 11:29
Thank you. So if I was planning a thru hike in 2010 and would like the extra info of the guide books would it be best to wait until November 09 to buy them if they go on sale?
Its not like every map is updated every year so you wont be screwing yourself by buying them a couple of years early. I have a 2004 set that I got off ebay this spring cheap and it does fine. The main thing is get the latest companion/handbook/pages before you go so you will know which grocery store is open and which has closed.

Serial 07
10-16-2008, 11:37
guide books i would say are more important just because it provides you all the info you need to survive...the maps are the great luxury that allow you to sit mountain top and know what you are looking at...oh, and the profile portion of the map...that can be useful info...

itsallgoodchuck
10-16-2008, 13:05
Alright thanks. I wasnt sure if maybe not getting the updated set might be a problem but I figured it wouldnt be.