PDA

View Full Version : Water availability Dicks Creek Gap to Deep Gap (NC)

Doc_of_the_bay
10-15-2008, 18:22
I'm hiking from Dick's Creek Gap to Deep Gap this weekend, and I was wondering what shape the water sources are in. I saw a post that said Plumorchard is good, but what about the rest of the section? Somebody who dayhiked nearby in NC said water is scarce.

Tennessee Viking
10-15-2008, 19:05
Call Ron at the Inn in Franklin. Some of the Nantalhala Balds were low/dry last time I heard him post.

Egads
10-15-2008, 19:17
http://georgia-atclub.org/water_resources.html

Doc_of_the_bay
10-16-2008, 12:47
The Georgia AT club site hasn't been updated in about a month, unfortunately.

Tenderheart
10-16-2008, 13:10
The dog and I just did a few days from Dick's Creek to the NOC. All the sources were good except, of course, Dick's Creek. I only checked the sources at the shelters, however. They were all in good shape. We had a torrent all day Wednesday, October 8. This had to help. I noticed that the pipe had been ripped out at Big Spring Shelter, but there was good water further down. This is north of your termination. I hope this helps.

litefoot 2000

Shortwave
10-17-2008, 11:55
I went through that area about a month ago, and water wasn't that hard to come by. The only spot in GA that was dry was Woods Hole Shelter and the surrounding area, but I'm not sure if that was between Dick's Creek and Deep Gap or not.