PDA

View Full Version : Bush to Open National Parks to Mountain Bikes

mts4602
10-15-2008, 18:29
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27183753/wid/18298287/?GT1=45002

Thought you guys might find this interesting.

skinewmexico
10-15-2008, 18:43
Well, on the one hand, it will get people using them. Which tends to irritate some of the people working at them. Wish they would open some of them up (like Big Bend, Guadelupe) to developing interior water supplies.

Mags
10-15-2008, 18:54
I have been predicting this would happen for a while for the simple reason that there are more mountainbikers than backpackers (but not hikers. Subtle, but important difference).

What does this mean for us?

It is no big secret that when the "backcountry" can be reached quickly, it is not really backcountry at all. Twenty miles on foot is 7 hrs at a very quick pace. Probably closer to 10-11 hrs total for most people.

On a mountain bike? A leisurely bike ride of 2-3 hrs. 4 hrs if if it esp. technical.

The definitions of wilderness, backcountry and wildness will change in the the coming generation.

It is it bad? Is it good? All depends upon your perspective.

But the change is coming. And this proposed bill shows that.

llano
10-15-2008, 19:13
I know that there are already mountain bikers in designated wilderness areas in New Mexico, I see their tracks. Maybe if they can use portions of the national parks they will start to respect the wilderness areas, but probably not. Doubt that they will develope water in the Guadalupe mountain national park back country, just not enough water out there to do it, but if your riding a bike how hard would it be to take your own?

NICKTHEGREEK
10-15-2008, 19:35
Like the song said Romance without finance ain't got no chance. Things don't look good for park funding and national park managers haven't got the funds to buy TP for the toilets.

wrongway_08
10-15-2008, 19:59
This is great! I love to mountain bike and it will allow more people to enjoy the mountains and be able to get away more often.

I know, there will be a few butt-hole bikers who will not show respect but for the most part (just as with hikers) they (us) will.

I love they idea of being able to bike 20-30 miles out, camp out and then head back the next day.

Hopefully fellow mountain bikers will not be scaring hikers/other trail users by riding too fast around blind corners or just plain being idiots, causing this bill to get revoked.

Pedaling Fool
10-15-2008, 20:39
I haven't read the article, but I’ll say this: Hikers and bikers shouldn't be on the same trail. When you go mountainbike riding you don't want to ride leisurely. If mountainbikers want trails, they should make their own trails.

Kirby
10-15-2008, 21:20
I think it will be effective since it will be up to park superintendents to determine which trails become open to mountain biking. No one knows the parks better than those who are on the ground day in and day out.

Executed effectively, this is a great proposal.

Kirby

Pedaling Fool
10-15-2008, 21:32
...Hopefully fellow mountain bikers will not be scaring hikers/other trail users by riding too fast around blind corners or just plain being idiots, causing this bill to get revoked.
They will. I'm a road rider and that's why I stay on road 99% of the time as opposed to paved trails/sidewalks; I can't ride on those surfaces because I have to slow down way too much. Too many road bikers get on those paved trails or places like the C&O and go way too fast for all the traffic. This results in many accidents.

Dogwood
10-15-2008, 21:55
I haven't read the article, but I’ll say this: Hikers and bikers shouldn't be on the same trail. When you go mountainbike riding you don't want to ride leisurely. If mountainbikers want trails, they should make their own trails.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON!!! On the whole, I find mountain bikers simply don't respect the rights of others while on the trails, as say, equestrians and hikers do when they come across each other!!!! And, I mountain bike as well as hike. There should be separate trails, but I think mountain bikers will still ride on the hiker/equestrian only trails. BAD idea to allow hikers and mountain bikers access to the same trails. There should absolutely be trails that only allow non-mechanized ways of travel!!! I'll vote against any such bill allowing access to hikers and mountain bikers on the same trail.

Dogwood
10-15-2008, 22:01
Hopefully fellow mountain bikers will not be scaring hikers/other trail users by riding too fast around blind corners or just plain being idiots, causing this bill to get revoked.

They will!

chomp
10-16-2008, 01:15
What is this, 1998? Mtn biking organizations and individuals have come a long way from some of the opinions that I'm reading here. And they do in a very large part built their own trails.

In fact, the New England Mountain Bike Association bought over 50 acres of land near a popular riding area to secure and and build their own network of trails.

There are lots of trail in the NP system that would be awesome to mtn bike. There are also lots that are unsuitable.. either due to terrain or popularity. This law will allow the local officials to make that determination.

Pedaling Fool
10-16-2008, 09:07
What is this, 1998? Mtn biking organizations and individuals have come a long way from some of the opinions that I'm reading here. And they do in a very large part built their own trails.

In fact, the New England Mountain Bike Association bought over 50 acres of land near a popular riding area to secure and and build their own network of trails.

There are lots of trail in the NP system that would be awesome to mtn bike. There are also lots that are unsuitable.. either due to terrain or popularity. This law will allow the local officials to make that determination.
If that's how it works out, than that'll be great.

hopefulhiker
10-16-2008, 09:13
Does anyone know if parts of the AT will now be open to mountain biking?

One of the things that really irritated me on the trail was when I was run off the trail by a slew of illegal mountain bikers. They turned the trail into one big muddy rut!
I mean I like to bike myself but there is something almost sacred about the AT being just a footpath to me...

Newb
10-16-2008, 09:32
Does anyone know if parts of the AT will now be open to mountain biking?

One of the things that really irritated me on the trail was when I was run off the trail by a slew of illegal mountain bikers. They turned the trail into one big muddy rut!
I mean I like to bike myself but there is something almost sacred about the AT being just a footpath to me...

Yes, I pray the AT is not opened to bikes. It will ruin it.

Jim Adams
10-16-2008, 09:37
It's about time!

geek