PDA

View Full Version : Davenport Gap TN North to Sam's Gap water

greentick
10-15-2008, 20:29
Hey all,

I am sectioning this 80mile stretch in a couple of weeks and I know it's been dry this year. That being said...

Anyone have recent ground truth on water sources?

How about historical water sources that are always running?

Thanks.

Tennessee Viking
10-15-2008, 23:25
The Bald Mountains are pretty dry from what I hear. Check with Elmer and BMO in Hot Springs for lastest news.

EAnderson
10-16-2008, 00:17
I just got off the trail today after hiking that section. Water was good just north of Max Patch, and on to Lemon Gap was also fine. I had already hiked Lemon Gap to Hot Springs, so I jumped north to Sams Gap and headed south back to Hot Springs. I can't tell you about Lemon Gap to Hot Springs.

From Sams Gap (going south), there is water at two creek crossings a mile north of Rector Laurel Rd. I did not check Hogback Shelter, sorry.

There is water at Flint Mountain Shelter!

A little over mile south of Jerry's Cabin (on your left if hiking north) is a spot where trees have been spray painted blue. There seems to be ribbons and a note says that there is water down the ridge a 1/4 mile. We carried enough so we did not verify, but a few people said they found water there the night before.

There is no more water until Hot Springs!

We carried 3.5 qts each day, and went from Flint Mountain to Hemlock Hollow. I can't say enough good things about the Kinsey's and their place. It is the only sure water source between Hot Springs and Flint Mountain Shelter, so be sure to stop and take advantage of their hospitality.

chelko
10-16-2008, 08:41
Who are the Kinsey's? Where is thier place?

EAnderson
10-16-2008, 10:16
The Kinsey's run Hemlock Hollow Inn. It is a hostel located 1.5 north of Allen Gap. The trail crosses Log Cabin Rd. and you turn left if NB or right if SB. Follow that gravel rd. 0.6 miles until it hits Viking Mtn. Rd, and the hostel is right across the street.

They have a great clean bunkhouse with a kitchen, a couple of cabins, a tentsite, clean washhouse, and a nice store.

If you stay, they shuttle back to the trail in the morning.

greentick
10-16-2008, 10:43
Is there water in that creek?

chelko
10-16-2008, 11:55
Is ther any contact info for the Hemlock Hollow Inn?

EAnderson
10-16-2008, 12:03
Is there water in that creek?

There is water in the creek at the hostel, and there is enough water to filter in the creek a mile north of Devil Fork Gap. You would cross it 2-3 times.

The creek at Flint Mountain Shelter is north of the shelter about 200-300 ft. It is still running.

Also, a couple left water yesterday at the Rich Mountain firetower spur trail intersection, at the tower itself, and also at Tanyard Gap. It may or may not still be there.

Wear blaze orange as bear hunters are out between Flint Gap and Allen Gap.

greentick
10-16-2008, 12:49
Wear blaze orange as bear hunters are out between Flint Gap and Allen Gap.

EAnderson you are the source, thanks for sharing.

Orange is already on the packing list.

Speaking of bears, did you get bothered at all?

EAnderson
10-16-2008, 12:58
Hemlock Hollow has a website, www.hemlockhollow.net (http://www.hemlockhollow.net)

Greentick, never saw a bear, just a few fresh scat piles closer to Sams Gap. With the hunting dogs running, bears will be scarce. Have a good hike, it is a great section. White Rock Cliffs, Blackstack Cliffs, & Rich Mtn tower are great views, and the appletrees on Frozen Knob are a treat.

greentick
10-23-2008, 04:56
Any water coming out of the pipe at Allen Gap?

EAnderson
10-23-2008, 16:02
No, there is no longer water at Allen Gap. The pipe may actually be gone as several people mentioned that source no longer being an option.

greentick
10-23-2008, 20:25
Thanks EAnderson,

Hattie at Hemlock Hollow insisted that we stop in and water up at their place when I inquired as to how the creek was flowing.

Tennessee Viking
10-23-2008, 23:21
EAnderson you are the source, thanks for sharing.

Orange is already on the packing list.

Speaking of bears, did you get bothered at all?I saw a bear crossing the road just before Hurricane Gap a couple weeks ago.

Jim Obermeyer
10-26-2008, 10:44
I saw a bear crossing the road just before Hurricane Gap a couple weeks ago.

You know, come to think about it, the only place I've ever seen a bear in that area was on the road. I've seen them on Hwy 70, on Hurricane Gap Rd. on Viking Mt Rd and a few others. I've never seen one in the woods, I've only seen signs of them. I've also seen the TWRA hauling bears up Viking Mt. Rd. and always wondered if they were letting bears who have been a problem elsewhere loose on top.

flemdawg1
10-27-2008, 16:00
No, there is no longer water at Allen Gap. The pipe may actually be gone as several people mentioned that source no longer being an option.

Turn the opposite way and there is a flowing creek about 100 yds past the big NF sign.

greentick
11-03-2008, 00:05
Update:

Came off the trail today. Greeted by 4-6" of snow up at Sam's Gap.

Did not check Hogsback shelter.

As mentioned above by EAnderson, there is water about a mile before Rector Laurel Rd. Three running sources, the second being the best.

Did not check Flint Mtn shelter but heard it was running.

Jerry Cabin shelter had about a liter and a half and was running VERY slowly, like less than half liter per hour.

About a mile past Jerry Cabin are the blue painted trees mentioned by EAnderson. I will try to post pics. Note that a short distance prior to this (if you are SOBO) there is a tree painted with blue writing that is sort of faded. Pass by. You cannot miss the water point. The word WATER is all over the place and several trees are painted with dark blue paint. A steep, well blazed, 300-400yds down hill leads to a great water source.

Little Laurel shelter was running very slow, not as bad as Jerry Cabin but slow.

Hattie at Hemlock Hollow hostel will let you use her sink to fill up. It is a 0.6mi road walk. She has a nice little store and the largest selection of Tea I have seen in a long time.

Allen Gap has a sign on a post where the trail intersects the road directing you to the water source. I had just topped off at HH so I did not verify but the sign looked new and flemdawg confirms.

Did not check Spring Mtn shelter.

There was a trickling source on the trail prior to the Rich Mtn fire tower.

You pass a very brackish, low pond. Not sure if it is fit to drink.

No other water until Hot Springs. The great guys at Bluff Mtn Outfitters happily shared their sink with us. Great shop too.

Did not check Deer Park shelter.

Big Rock spring was running well. On the hike up Bluff Mtn we passed water at altitudes 3100', 3600', and a blue blazed 25yd trail near the top heading SOBO. The other side of the mountain was dry.

Did not check Walnut Mtn shelter but a letter posted at the shelter said it was running.

Passed over several running streams up til Max Patch.

There is one running on the trail south side of Max Patch. Then it may be dry again.

I heard from some NOBO hiker's we passed that there was reliable water at Groundhog Creek Shelter.

Our hike was cut short as I got a call from my wife (reception had been spotty and I kept the phone off) that my father in law was hospitalized with stroke symptoms. My two bro in laws and I gave Curtis of Standing Bear Farm hostel a call and in 30min he met us at Brown Gap to get us to our vehicle. (THANK YOU CURTIS!!!!!!!!!!) Interestingly enough, she had contacted another of our hiking buds wife who contacted our buddy (Single Barrel) who then sent word through a couple of SOBO thrus. (thanks to an unknown SOBO and Singer and Landsurfer). The unknown thru caught us just as I was getting word from my wife. Still waiting on many test results.

Morning Glory
11-04-2008, 10:03
Thanks for the update, i'm hiking Davenport Gap to Hotsprings later this week, and I was concerned about the water.

B.Woods
11-06-2008, 13:44
Morning Glory,

I will be hiking the same route next weekend (11/14/08). Can you give me a water update from your hike?

B.Woods

Morning Glory
11-11-2008, 08:50
Morning Glory,

I will be hiking the same route next weekend (11/14/08). Can you give me a water update from your hike?

B.Woods
Have plenty of water when you leave. After I40, there is no water until Groundhog Creek Shelter. The next place for water is at Max Patch road and then there is plenty of water after Max Patch (the first few miles anyway). Just before Lemon Gap is the best place for water. There's a great campsite there too. The spring at Walnut Mtn. Shelter I was told is just mud. There is a spring with water about a mile after you summit Bluff Mtn. After that, there isn't any water all the way to Hot Springs. I never checked Deerpark Shelter, but from what I heard, I don't think there is water there either. Send me a pm if you have any more questions..this hike is still vivid in my memory.

B.Woods
11-12-2008, 17:41
Morning Glory,

Great information!!! It looks like I might not have any problems with water. The weather is calling for rain (30%) and maybe snow on Sunday.

B.Woods

Two Phils
11-20-2008, 02:02
B Woods,

My buddy and I are hiking Devils Gap to Hot Springs (SoBo) this weekend. How's the water running? Also, given the shorter days, how were you doing mileage ways/day? Thanks!