PDA

View Full Version : Trailhead close to GA/NC Border/Shuttle service?

dan8794
10-15-2008, 22:18
Hi.

I did my very first hike ever last weekend. I went from Neel's Gap to Springer then the Approach Trail. I loved it so much that I'm planning my next trip right now. I would like to finish up the state of GA.

I plan on traveling southbound, finishing at Neel's Gap.

Where is a good trailhead to start? I recall someone telling me that there isn't actually an ending/starting point in the state of GA, and that you actually have to start in NC. It looks to me that the best place to start is Bly Gap. Is that correct?

Also, I need a reference to a good/cheap shuttle that will pick me up at Neel's and take me to Bly Gap (or wherever you recommend me starting this hike.)

Also, any good tips to make my hike an enjoyable one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

KG4FAM
10-15-2008, 22:37
Neels Gap, Cloud 9, and there are some locals that the blueberry patch has numbers for that run shuttles. You could get a shuttle to blue ridge gap and head north for a bit or start north from dicks creek gap and save on the shuttle and spend more time in the woods. Either way you will have to walk north some to get to the border from Georgia. Going from Deep Gap in NC would drive up your shuttle cost quite a bit so you might as well double back in Georgia.

take-a-knee
10-15-2008, 23:57
I think Ron Haven will shuttle to Deep Gap. The Hiawassee Inn will shuttle to that northernmost FS gravel road south of the NC line.

bigcranky
10-16-2008, 07:57
You can start at Dick's Creek Gap, which is easy but south of the state line. You could start from Standing Indian Campground, via the Kimsey Creek Trail, also an easy shuttle, and north of the state line. If someone can shuttle you to Deep Gap, that's the closest trailhead north of Georgia.

dan8794
10-16-2008, 10:46
How do I contact some of these shuttles?

For instance, where can I find Ron Haven's contact information?

Thank you guys.

Hoop
10-16-2008, 11:01
"How do I contact some of these shuttles?"

The WB homepage has a link.

gearfreak
10-16-2008, 11:50
I'd contact Joyce Monroe and Sally Smith at [email protected] ([email protected]) or (706) 896-9339. They are located in Hiawassee (MM 16.5, 2nd drive on right past Blueberry Patch if you're heading east) and can shuttle you to Deep Gap, NC at a reasonable price. They can pick you up at Neels Gap or stage your vehicle there on your day of arrival. :cool:

dan8794
10-16-2008, 13:03
"how Do I Contact Some Of These Shuttles?"

The Wb Homepage Has A Link.

Wb?

dan8794
10-16-2008, 13:05
Oh, I'm an idiot...whiteblaze....sorry!

Midway Sam
10-16-2008, 15:41
I'd contact Joyce Monroe and Sally Smith at [email protected] ([email protected]) or (706) 896-9339. They are located in Hiawassee (MM 16.5, 2nd drive on right past Blueberry Patch if you're heading east) and can shuttle you to Deep Gap, NC at a reasonable price. They can pick you up at Neels Gap or stage your vehicle there on your day of arrival. :cool:

And you might even get to ride in the way cool VW Bus!

Ron Haven
11-06-2008, 20:00
How do I contact some of these shuttles?

For instance, where can I find Ron Haven's contact information?

Thank you guys. http://havensbudgetinn.com 828-524-4403

pyroman53
11-06-2008, 21:59
Do not hesitate to call Ron Haven. He's a friend of hikers, an interesting man, and a wealth of knowledge as well. Shuttled me and RainMaker last month with a stay at the Budget Inn in Franklin on both ends. We did Unicoi Gap NOBO to Winding Stair. You won't be disappointed in your hike or your business with Ron.

Jack Tarlin
11-07-2008, 00:27
Bobby:

There's a comprehensive state-by-state list of reliable shuttlers at www.appalachiantrail.org

You'll also find quite a few listed if you look at the On-Line version of the Thru-Hiker's Companion, a guidebook published annually. You'll find the 2008 edition at www.aldha.org

Oh, and by all means look up Ron Haven. He's a great, great guy and will be happy to help you.