PDA

View Full Version : Free-Standing Tents

ChinMusic
10-16-2008, 00:27
I have never had the need for one, but a recent trip to northern Manitoba left me seeing the need for certain locations. Tent stakes were impossible to get into the thin (if even existent) soil...rocks, rocks, rocks.

Post about your fave free-standing tent for a solo, the lighter the better.

Ramble~On
10-16-2008, 02:42
Tarptent Rainbow. Can be pitched free standing when needed using trekking poles or sticks.

If you carry some cord...those rocks in that rocky soil can be tied and used as anchor points instead of driving stakes..just a thought.

Tipi Walter
10-16-2008, 08:39
Check out the Hilleberg Soulo/Allak. I have the Staika which is heavy but is a beefier version of the Soulo/Allak, all free-standing.

A true free standing tent is not common, most wedges(domes)are free-standing but use a stake to pull out the fly/vestibules. Some tents like Coleman and Eureka wedges use a shorty type fly which attaches to the four corners and are therefore free-standing tents, but their flys are not complete coverage.

EMAN
10-16-2008, 08:59
I generally use a REI 1/4 Dome and have never used a stake except, as Tipi says, when (IF) I stake out the vestibules (as I use the tent solo, I usually just pack my stuff inside with me...had a bad vestibule experience once and don't really like the idea all that much).
I just bought a Tarptent Rainbow as suggested herein and I have used it twice, both times in gentle conditions (backyard and a overnight stay required party in a field). I have set it up both with stakes and poles. Poles are a bit of a PITA but once I get used to it, probably OK. Stakes were better, required less hassle and time. But at 2.2 lbs....what else can you say. You have the two options and it ain't gonna break your back. Has plenty of room even for a rather large human such as myself. Some condensation but I can probably work that out over time. It's also recommended that you seam seal the thing. I think it'll be fine for me at least.

gearfreak
10-16-2008, 09:08
I can't say enough about my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. I wouldn't want to use it as a two person shelter though, nor would I want to squeeze into the SL1. Well made, fast and easy setup. Yet to have an issue with condensation. 2lbs.-14oz. :cool:

Jim Adams
10-16-2008, 10:19
Tarptent Rainbow. Can be pitched free standing when needed using trekking poles or sticks.

Still needs staked or guyed to the ground to stay upright.

geek

ChinMusic
10-16-2008, 10:40
If you carry some cord...those rocks in that rocky soil can be tied and used as anchor points instead of driving stakes..just a thought.

Did that, it was a pain, but got me through.

I've seen those tents where you can pick it up with one hand, and just move it around til you find the right spot. I also like the idea of being able to "shake it out" to remove dirt/leaves/etc. I just never paid much attention to the brands.

EMAN
10-16-2008, 13:21
Actually, Spiritwind is correct. The Rainbow is freestanding with trekkinpoles. I used it that way and as I said, it's a bit of a PITA and my first time setting it up was a bit sloppy but it was freestanding nonetheless. No staking required. Of course, it was calm and dry out, humid even, and taut pitching was not an issue. In the morning, I picked it up, shook it out, packed it up.

Blissful
10-16-2008, 14:05
Msr Hubba. We have the 2 person hubba hubba.

The squall is not free standing, that's for sure.

Texasgirl
10-16-2008, 22:05
Did that, it was a pain, but got me through.

I've seen those tents where you can pick it up with one hand, and just move it around til you find the right spot. I also like the idea of being able to "shake it out" to remove dirt/leaves/etc. I just never paid much attention to the brands.

You just described my Kelty Teton 2. Just over 4 lbs, 3 season, good ventilation, and it's cute (always a plus). Yeah, heavier than a bivy or the tarptents, but it was only $109 two years ago. Sets up fast, shake it out when I'm done. I love it.

Pedaling Fool
10-16-2008, 22:21
You just described my Kelty Teton 2. Just over 4 lbs, 3 season, good ventilation, and it's cute (always a plus). Yeah, heavier than a bivy or the tarptents, but it was only $109 two years ago. Sets up fast, shake it out when I'm done. I love it.
That's my tent, it was cheap and no problems after 3 years. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=24271&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=6936&cutoffdate=-1