PDA

View Full Version : New England: When To Hike?

Davemeister
10-16-2008, 11:06
I am planning a trip to New England next year. It will include AT day-hikes in the Bershires, the Greens, and the Whites.

My two "windows of opportunity" for this vacaion are late-May or late-August. I have been advised against going in May because "the black flies are unbearable" on the Trail at that time of year.

Is this true? And what other pros/cons of May vs. August (such as climate, crowds) should I consider before making my decision?

Lone Wolf
10-16-2008, 11:11
late august for sure. may will be too wet

peakbagger
10-16-2008, 11:22
late may - wet, not very crowded (except for holiday weekends), Major bug issues, Baxter State Park could be closed, AMC huts in whites may not be open. Weather pattern less stable, views would be better on clear days. Green mountains trails closed due to mud season

Late August - more crowded (especially weekends), typically hazy, chance of afternoon thundershowers. views are typically not as far.

Mid to late September (first full week after labor day) is the best

Lone Wolf
10-16-2008, 11:27
Mid to late September (first full week after labor day) is the best

late may or late august is when he can go

Pedaling Fool
10-16-2008, 12:41
One person, one vote: Late August.

Peaks
10-16-2008, 16:36
Responsible hikers stay off the trails in the higher elevations of the Northeast until after Memorial Day because of the damage done to trails when they are soft with the thaw and water coming out of the ground. In fact, places like Camels Hump and Mt. Mansfield are closed during the spring until Memorial Day.

emerald
10-16-2008, 16:48
Since Davemeister is interested in day-hiking, he may have options in May. Conditions which cannot be anticipated at this time could result in trails drying earlier or later than expected.

I seem to recall GMC listing appropriate locations for spring hikes on their website. They may or may not have included AT hikes any of which I would think would be shorter hikes at lower elevations.

Maybe someone knows where that information is located and could link it for him.

Homer&Marje
10-16-2008, 17:00
Early May. Less of us "holes" around. There are some black flies, bring a 3 dollar bug net for your head and you'll be fine. If they land in your food, it's a great source of protein.

Frosty
10-16-2008, 17:01
I am planning a trip to New England next year. It will include AT day-hikes in the Bershires, the Greens, and the Whites.

My two "windows of opportunity" for this vacaion are late-May or late-August. I have been advised against going in May because "the black flies are unbearable" on the Trail at that time of year.

Is this true? And what other pros/cons of May vs. August (such as climate, crowds) should I consider before making my decision?Black flies aren't as much an issue day hiking. Just wear a head net.

For you other question about crowd/climate, is it just as you would expect: You will have more crowds when it is nicer to hike. Generally, it is nicer to hike in August than May. Wet in Berkshires, muddy in Greens, trails in Whites probably streams.

But unless you are some kind of hermit who can't stand being near anyone, crowds aren't that bad even in August. It isn't like the mall the day after Thanksgiving. And if you can hike mid-week and don't pick the most popular trails, you can be alone. Again, though, if you want to best trails with the best views, expect to have more people around you.

sasquatch2014
10-16-2008, 19:08
Responsible hikers stay off the trails in the higher elevations of the Northeast until after Memorial Day because of the damage done to trails when they are soft with the thaw and water coming out of the ground. In fact, places like Camels Hump and Mt. Mansfield are closed during the spring until Memorial Day.

I don't understand this concept. It will only erode until it hits bedrock then the trail is what I would call Rock Solid.:rolleyes:

emerald
10-16-2008, 19:25
For general information about hiking in Vermont, read Green Mountain Club's Take a Hike (http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=6) page. Once there, click on Mud Season Alternative Hikes (http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60) for spring hiking information and suggestions.

Blissful
10-16-2008, 19:34
August was great in the Whites, that's when we were there, but the weather can get cold and stormy.

I wouldn't worry about crowds with day hikes. Great chance to talk with NOBO and SOBO hikers and encourage them.

TJ aka Teej
10-16-2008, 19:49
The last three days sure were nice! :D

rafe
10-16-2008, 22:32
I'd do August. I hiked the MA Mid-State trail early summer '07, in sections, starting early summer. The mosquitoes were outrageous.

Davemeister
10-17-2008, 19:12
Thanks for the definitive replies! Late August it is.

Pedaling Fool
10-17-2008, 19:18
Hikers walking on soft muddy trails...I guess that's what caused the Moody mountain landslide this year.:rolleyes:

weary
10-17-2008, 21:56

Is this true? And what other pros/cons of May vs. August (such as climate, crowds) should I consider before making my decision?
I would choose late August, but not because black flies are unbearable. Those of us who have lived with them for decades know they are only unbearable to strangers to the experience. Long about decade four or five, most of us become partially immune -- or perhaps stupefied by the black flie experience.

Weary

Tinker
10-17-2008, 22:36
I'll add that, if you like swimming or just washing off a little grime from day to day, August would be perfect. Few blackflies but mosquitoes and deerflies will need to be handled with netting and spray.

modiyooch
10-18-2008, 20:04
There was still four feet of snow in NH last Memorial day.

Kerosene
10-18-2008, 20:10
While I know that you've designated your windows-of-opportunity for May and August, if there's any way you can open up September after Labor Day, I think you'd get the best of all worlds: few if any bugs, cooler temperatures, generally calmer weather, fewer people during the week, and possibly lovely Fall colors.