PDA

View Full Version : The perfect AT map

Marta
10-16-2008, 11:56
The map thread got me thinking...

Which of the various AT map formats do you prefer?

What are your favorite map features?

What seems silly to include?

The maps I like best are probably the Maine maps. They're a handy size. I like the contours and the schematic of the trail. My only criticism is that some of them don't cover much territory, leaving you need more than one map for a day's hiking.

Blissful
10-16-2008, 12:03
Elevation profiles are so helpful. We had one for the Smokies and everyone wanted to see it.

Mocs123
10-16-2008, 12:23
I have only used the Tennessee/North Carolina Maps, the Georgia/North Carolina Maps, and the Southwest Virginia Maps, as well as a bunch of National Geographic Maps.

Out of those I prefer the Tennessee North Carolina Maps, then the National Geographic Maps, Georgia North Carolina Maps, and lastly the Southwest Virginia Maps.

1. An Elevation Profile is very helpful
2. Side Trails
3. Print Large Enough To Read
4. Elevation Contours at close enough intervals to be useful, but not so close to clutter the map.
5. Obviously it needs to have Springs, Shelters, Campsites, etc.
6. It should be two sided (that way you don't have to carry as many maps)
7. The Scale should be close enough to navigate by, but not too close. (IMO 1:24K is too close, 1:100K isn't close enough)

KG4FAM
10-16-2008, 13:06
Maine maps are great

Kerosene
10-16-2008, 13:12
I've been pretty impressed with the Maine maps (although I haven't hiked Maine yet), which seem to meet all of Mocs123's criteria, plus they include the important trail guide notes.

smaaax
10-16-2008, 13:47
i was always annoyed with all the useless info on most of the maps I've seen.

The history, contact info, LNT stuff, and the liability disclaimers. Can't cut it off because there is someting on the back side. It would be nice if it was just a map and profile, overlay the legend on the map. Thats it.

Nest
10-16-2008, 14:04
I know they aren't really "AT" maps, but the National Geo maps are my favorite. They actually follow the rules of map coloring which I remember a couple of the AT maps didn't at times. The scale is easy to use, one inch is a mile instead of one inch being "nearly" a mile. Mostly though I like that they don't just follow the AT corridor, but show the entire area. Makes finding various blue blazes, and alternate ways into a town easier to find. Plus having the entire compass printed on the maps instead of just pointing to true and magnetic north makes it really easy to get quick bearings.

Marta
10-16-2008, 14:19
I know they aren't really "AT" maps, but the National Geo maps are my favorite. They actually follow the rules of map coloring which I remember a couple of the AT maps didn't at times. The scale is easy to use, one inch is a mile instead of one inch being "nearly" a mile. Mostly though I like that they don't just follow the AT corridor, but show the entire area. Makes finding various blue blazes, and alternate ways into a town easier to find. Plus having the entire compass printed on the maps instead of just pointing to true and magnetic north makes it really easy to get quick bearings.

Good point. I like the NG map series, too. Especially if I'm section-hiking, or needing to go to town, it's nice to have more than just the narrow AT corridor on the map. Another thing the bigger maps do is help you figure out what you're looking at. With the skinny AT maps, I can't stand there looking at a distant peak and figure out what it's called, unless it happens to be on the AT--which it often is.

Sadly, though, I've discovered a couple of errors on the maps. The one that springs to mind is in the GSMNP map, where a church is shown as being on the opposite side of the trail from where it actually is. That cost us about an hour of confusion on long Sunday. It hadn't occurred to us that the map would be wrong--we figured we'd messed up, and backtracked to correct our course--except that we hadn't messed up, the map was wrong. Who would have thunk it?

ki0eh
10-16-2008, 14:22
the National Geo maps are my favorite. They actually follow the rules of map coloring

Huh? :confused:

Mocs123
10-16-2008, 14:27
The National Geographic GSMNP Map also has the trail to the jumpoff coming back around and intersecting with the at near Charlie's Bunion. In fact the trail to the jumpoff stops at .3 miles at the 1000 foot drop for which the trail is named. It would take a hang glider to get over to Charlie's Bunion.

Mocs123
10-16-2008, 14:35
a. Black. Indicates cultural (man-made) features such as buildings and roads, surveyed spot elevations, and all labels.
b. Red-Brown. The colors red and brown are combined to identify cultural features, all relief features, non-surveyed spot elevations, and elevation, such as contour lines.

c. Blue. Identifies hydrography or water features such as lakes, swamps, rivers, and drainage.
d. Green. Identifies vegetation such as woods, orchards, and vineyards.
e. Brown. Identifies all relief features and elevation, such as contours on older edition maps, and cultivated land.

f. Red. Classifies cultural features, such as populated areas, main roads, and boundaries, on older maps.
g. Purple. Revisions to older maps.

jersey joe
10-16-2008, 14:36
Profiles are great and I find them even more useful then the maps themselves, especially when shelters, watersources and roads are delimited.
I like the maine and ny/nj maps the best since they open in only one direction.
My LEAST favorite map was the National Geographic map for the smokies. The profile was 72 miles crammed into a few inches and the map opened up HUGE...

Cabin Fever
10-16-2008, 15:50
My LEAST favorite map was the National Geographic map for the smokies. The profile was 72 miles crammed into a few inches and the map opened up HUGE...

I agree 100%. I even like the SW Virginia maps better than that one. If Nat Geo could fix the profiles on the Trails Illustrated maps, they would be the way to go.

Nest
10-16-2008, 17:13
Huh? :confused:

The AT maps sometimes don't follow the color guidelines for maps. The biggest example is that vegetation on any other map would be green, on AT maps it is an orangish color. There were a few others that I can't remember, but I do remember being a little frustrated at times with different colors they use. Nothing serious, just a little frustrating sometimes.

buff_jeff
10-16-2008, 17:32
I agree 100%. I even like the SW Virginia maps better than that one. If Nat Geo could fix the profiles on the Trails Illustrated maps, they would be the way to go.

Totally agree. I gave mine away in the Smokies. I have one for Volcanoes National Park and it looks fine, for all intents and purposes. It's really just the elevation profile they seem to jack up.

ki0eh
10-16-2008, 20:14
The AT maps sometimes don't follow the color guidelines for maps. The biggest example is that vegetation on any other map would be green, on AT maps it is an orangish color. There were a few others that I can't remember, but I do remember being a little frustrated at times with different colors they use. Nothing serious, just a little frustrating sometimes.

I know the PA A.T. maps use different color shading not to distinguish vegetation, but for different land management areas, because the land use rules for hikers are very different in State Forest vs. National Park Service corridor vs. State Game Lands. Could that be what you're thinking of?

Kirby
10-16-2008, 21:10
Maine has the best maps of the whole trail, no doubt.

Kirby

RedDogPatch
10-16-2008, 21:19
I know this is not AT Map per se but, the one I find myself going back time and time again is the Google Earth program with the AT trails plot'd. I enjoy the GPS landmarks for the shelters and, the elevation, almost as if one is flying right over the landscape.
Just another tool..?

buff_jeff
10-16-2008, 22:22
I know this is not AT Map per se but, the one I find myself going back time and time again is the Google Earth program with the AT trails plot'd. I enjoy the GPS landmarks for the shelters and, the elevation, almost as if one is flying right over the landscape.
Just another tool..?

Yeah, it is pretty neat.

Here it is for anyone who hasn't seen it:

http://www.fivemillionsteps.com/trailmap.php

jaywalke
10-16-2008, 22:24
I love the NatGeo maps for my home area specifically because they show all the roads and other trails. Great for finding trailheads, scenic drives and weekend getaways, and learning the names of peaks.

For sections in other areas, I use the ATC maps with their guidebooks so I catch more of the history.

Nest
10-17-2008, 00:30
I know the PA A.T. maps use different color shading not to distinguish vegetation, but for different land management areas, because the land use rules for hikers are very different in State Forest vs. National Park Service corridor vs. State Game Lands. Could that be what you're thinking of?

NY and NJ used grey for general vegetation and green for parks. CT, Mass, NH, VA didn't use any color, just white. Didn't look at them all just now so I don't know about the others off the top of my head. Doesn't seem like much unless you use maps a lot for blue blazing like I did. The coloring actually helps with figuring out the area.

Marta
10-17-2008, 06:49
I love the NatGeo maps for my home area specifically because they show all the roads and other trails. Great for finding trailheads, scenic drives and weekend getaways, and learning the names of peaks.

For sections in other areas, I use the ATC maps with their guidebooks so I catch more of the history.

That's pretty much what I do, too. The NG maps are great for finding non-AT trails in the area...which is mostly what I'm doing around home now...and for locating the roads and parking areas to get in an out. They're pretty huge for carrying on a thru-hike.

I've rarely carried the ATC map guidebooks, though. Maybe once or twice they've made it as far as the car, for reading on the drive up.

gearfreak
10-17-2008, 07:03
I like creating my own for the section I'm hiking using DeLorme's TOPO USA software. :cool:

postholer.com
10-17-2008, 12:09
If you haven't seen the complete Google AT Map (NOT Google Earth), check it out.

http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail=at

The data originates from the ATC web site. The smallest zoom resolution is 250 feet! You can view in terrain, satellite, hybrid and map views. It's like having google earth available anywhere.

It has the location of all shelters and you can geo-locate your own data, photos, etc on the map. Further, you can put your journal entry's on this map and refer to you daily location from you entry!

Maps also exist for the PCT, GET, AZT and partial CDT.

-postholer

jaywalke
10-17-2008, 15:33
I've rarely carried the ATC map guidebooks, though. Maybe once or twice they've made it as far as the car, for reading on the drive up.

I hack the books up if I'm doing a big section, or scan the pages I want and assemble them as .pdfs -- 8 guidebook/data book pages to a sheet of regular copy paper. When I'm done with those miles: tinder!