PDA

View Full Version : Keen Newport Sandals

Speer Carrier
03-23-2004, 15:50
I recently bought a pair of Keen Newport Sandals to wear while hiking. I had been wearing running shoes, but I found that when they got wet,( which they always do)they take forever to completely dry out. I would find myself walking in damp shoes for several miles after leaving them out to dry overnight.

I thought that these sandals might not have that problem.

I am somewhat of an ultralight hiker, carrying no more than 17-20 pounds on my back. My feet are in good shape, with high arches, so support is not an issue.

I'm wondering if anyone used these sandals to hike a long distance. If so, how do they hold up? How would you compare them with running shoes for comfort, durability, any any other factor you can think of.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Skink

Hammock Hanger
03-23-2004, 16:22
Check out the discussion on these sandals under the General Forum. :Check these out.

Hope it helps. Sue/HH

schrochem
03-23-2004, 16:25
Skink,
I can't give you a complete report, but I am hopeful. I would recommend the Newport H2s as they have nylon uppers vs. leather and will probably dry faster. I have a pair (size 13) they run small so I am usually a 12 and they weigh right at 2lbs for the pair. I got mine from zappos.com and they sent them overnight for free!! probably b/c it was my first order with them. Anyway, they are very comfortable, but I started having troubles with what felt like a bubble under my heel (in both shoes), to the point it started causing a lot of pain. I contacted Keen directly and they said no problem we will ship you a new pair. Well after a lot of red tape and waiting I came to find out they didn't have 13 in navy at the manuf. so they sent charcoal gray. Well that was on the 9th of march and I still haven't seen them. I have been in direct contact with a Keen representative and they seem helpful. I have high hopes for these shoes. I have hiked in my Chacos and love the freedom, quick dry, etc. but liked the toe guard on the keen. The only draw back I noticed in the 8 or so miles I walked in them before waiting for a new pair was when a rock got in it was harder to get out than the chacos.
Not much help I'm sure, but maybe I can give you more feedback later. The sole would be only other concern, but we will see
Scott

Speer Carrier
03-23-2004, 16:34
Thanks HH,

I did read those other posts and they were helpful, but it seems that no one has really tried them out for a long hike. Do you think they would handle the whole AT?

Skink

tlbj6142
03-28-2004, 21:58
Do you think they would handle the whole AT?Not one pair. But sure several folks have hiked the entire AT in sandals. Even a SOBO nut did it a few years back. At the time the only choices on the market were probably Tevas. If you can hike the AT in Tevas, you can hike it on Keens, or Bites, or Chacos.

You mentioned high arches and not needing support. I would think that having high arches would require some time of arch support.

Hammock Hanger
03-28-2004, 22:34
I wore one pair of Chacos for over 1000 miles and still wear them almost everyday at home. The straps are still strong and even though there is some wear on the tread it is not totally gone. I think Willie did the whole AT in one pair of Chacos in 2002.

Skink: Don't know if a pair of Keens would make the whole trail, but it is always a mystery why it does for one and not another. Give it a try. == Still unsure if I will wear my Keens on the CT or my Chacos???? I did wear the Keens kayaking, they hold up well when wet and did dry quickly, though not a quick as the Chacos. Sue/HH